White cell count is low

Options
casgirl123
casgirl123 Member Posts: 5
Had my second treatment today. The nurse mentioned my white cell count was only 1, which is really low. Treatment went ahead and she said I should just be careful this weekend to ensure I'm away from anyone that is sick. Is there anything I can do to improve my white count? And what does this mean for the next scheduled treatment in 3 weeks? Will this likely be postponed? 

Comments

• wendy_h67
    wendy_h67 Member, Dragonfly Posts: 466
    Options
    My white cell count was low the other week.  I dont know what the reading was, but I also had a chest infection ,so my oncologist told me to have a break for 2 weeks from I. V chemo.  Last week my white cell count was back to normal.
  • melclarity
    melclarity Member Posts: 3,502
    Options
    @casgirl123 Hey!! There's nothing you can do regarding your white cell count, your body will readjust itself, thats why if it gets too low they postpone until it comes back up on its own. I got a chest infection after my first infusion but in 4.5 months that was it. My Oncologist said dont worry about working with special needs as I have more chance of getting sick in a supermarket. I must admit I didnt get anything at all after that. So I think its just commonsense, stay away from anyone you know is extremely ill. :) Try enjoy the break Hugs Melinda xo
  • Zoffiel
    Zoffiel Member Posts: 3,372
    Options

They will probably give you a colony booster shot, usually Neulasta, to help bring your white cells back up after your next chemo. The drug has some side effects, most notably bone pain because it stimulates your bone marrow, which can make some people a bit miserable for a couple of days. It is better than getting infections. Your most vulnerable time is 7-14 days after your treatment.

Ask your onc on your pre treatment meeting if they intend to give you that shot. Many people--myself included--find a Claratyne tablet a day for 10 days, starting on the day before chemo-- helps with the pain. Which you may or not experience.

Phhhftt, this sTuff is so exhausting on many levels.

• Jane221
    Jane221 Member Posts: 1,195
    Options
    Hi @casgirl123, as Zoffiel mentioned, they may give you a shot of Neulasta after your next chemo given that you have had a low white cell blood count. There is nothing you can do to increase your blood cell count in the meantime as that should naturally happen over the next little while.

I had Neulasta after each of my chemo cycles as my white blood cell count was very low after the first and, unfortunately, I did end up with an infection  - as my luck would have it, my son came home with chicken pox after the first cycle! I had a few days in hospital to manage the infection and they gave me Neulasta then as well as for the remaining cycles. I know others have had some pain with it but I can honestly say it was OK for me, just a little sore at the injection site.

Hope the rest of your treatment goes well and in the meantime just keep an eye on your temperature, or if you start feeling woozy and unwell, make sure you contact your oncology unit straight away so they can advise you of what to do xx