Choosing an oncologist

AnonyMS
AnonyMS Member Posts: 2
I was diagnosed with DCIS 2 weeks ago and had a lumpectomy last week. I see my surgeon tomorrow to find out the biopsy results. I know that if I'm lucky I may not need to have chemo or to see an oncologist. But keeping myself informed so that I can understand and make good decisions over my treatment has been my way of coping with my diagnosis. So I want to know more about how to choose an oncologist. I know that any woman's treatment will vary, depending on her diagnosis, but is their variation amongst oncologists in the treatments they offer for the SAME condition? ie. Will I be offered the same treatment options irrespective of the oncologist I see? I ask the question because my friend chose to go private and was able to complete her chemo in 4 cycles compared with 6 cycles offered through an alternative. I'm in Perth, and everyone I speak to has recommended the same oncologist. But I'm guessing my surgeon will propose an alternative that he generally works with. How will I know whether his recommendation is the best option in terms of providing treatment that will suit me best and will be the most successful? Is there information anywhere on the range of chemo treatment options for a particular diagnosis, and how successful they are? I do hate making decisions when I'm uninformed!
Tagged:

Comments

• Harlee
    Harlee Member Posts: 106
    If your friends are recommending oncologist A but your doctor wants to refer you to oncologist B I would discuss this with your GP who may automatically choose B out of habit. Your GP may be perfectly happy for you to see oncologist A - problem solved.
    Or there may be a reason why your GP prefers oncologist B. You won't know unless you ask. Of course after you have seen the first oncologist you could always ask for a second opinion if you're not happy with the treatment they propose.   
  • melclarity
    melclarity Member Posts: 3,502
    @AnonyMS Hey! and Welcome!! I hope you are coping ok! So yes, generally your Surgeon would recommend an Oncologist that they work with, that's if you need one. My first diagnosis in 2011 I had high grade DCIS, lumpectomy and then sent to radiotherapy at a public hospital eventhough I always go private patient, and then onto Tamoxifen. 2015 I had a recurrence in my scar, biopsies, lumpectomy, clear margins and lymph nodes out and clear. ER+ Stage 2 Grade 3 so I was automatic Chemo...he referred me to an Oncologist. I would see what your Surgeon says first....if you require the Oncologist you could go to the recommended and then go to the one your friends said for a 2nd opinion and choose which one youd prefer. Hope that helps! Hugs Melinda xo
  • fairydust
    fairydust Member Posts: 290
    Hi AnonyMS  . I too liked to be well informed,  However it is difficult to choose an oncologist. Your surgeon generally refers you to the one they prefer. If you like get a second opinion . There is not a guide to the best surgeons ,oncologists etc. Looking on line or even speaking to friends is not easy, We are all individual . A lot also depends on age and existing health problems when prescribing chemo.  So we may have the same bc but different treatment. 
  • Zoffiel
    Zoffiel Member Posts: 3,372

The difference in the length of treatment is probably due to a difference in the type or stage of cancer. Breast cancer presents in multiple horrible ways, all of which have recommended treatments.

Oncologists have national and international guidelines that they work to which won't vary except in very unusual circumstances. Public clinics in large hospitals can be a bit of a zoo with the possibility that you may see multiple doctors during your treatment. Private oncologists can be very, very expensive.

I went public this time in a smaller regional clinic where there are only 4 oncologists. I have been very happy with the service, but the oncologist I am seeing is likely to move on to the richer seas of private practice. As they do. The private business I used before that were arrogant pirates.

• AnonyMS
    AnonyMS Member Posts: 2
    Thankyou so much everyone above who responded to my post. It's so lovely to feel supported. I will no doubt have further questions after my appointment tomorrow. Who knows what the new day will bring?

• Glemmis
    Glemmis Member Posts: 343
    I was going to a breast centre in a private hospital when I was diagnosed so after surgery had a choice with the oncologist there or go to a public hospital. I chose private & it didn't cost a cent. They admit you as a day patient so there are no out of pocket expenses including blood tests. They only had 4 patients at a time for chemo & it was all breast cancer & it was a lovely atmosphere. I am now public for radiotherapy with the radiation oncologist from the private hospital. Good luck with your treatment.
  • Zoffiel
    Hmm. Chemo is bulk billed if you are admitted to a hospital, regardless of where you have it (from my understanding) Going to see an oncologist is an entirely different thing. Seeing a private one around here will see you about $140 a visit out of pocket. Their fees are not regulated and the medicare rebate hasn't changed in years.
  • Glemmis
    Glemmis Member Posts: 343
    I saw the oncologist there too before each chemo treatment & she bulk billed, & so did the radiation oncologist. Pity the surgeon & anaesthetist didn't! 
  • Zoffiel
    Ahh, the city vs country divide widens. It's pay, travel or die here.
  • iserbrown
    iserbrown Member Posts: 5,552
    Hi!  my Oncologist fee is $130 with a rebate of $64.00 for an appointment/review.  If having chemo it is as a day patient with no extras