Scanxiety

iserbrown
iserbrown Member Posts: 5,540
Definitions. scanxiety rate. the tension which builds particulary amongst those who have or have had cancer as they move towards their regular check up scan, hyperscanxiety being the period as they await results

I am sensible and know better than to get wound up by it, but hey every time the date is pending, this Friday, it starts all over again, pings and pangs, twinges et cetera

Tagged:

Comments

• Glemmis
    Glemmis Member Posts: 343
    I finished chemo a month ago & currently having radiotherapy & taking Femara. I developed a painful breast on the other side so went to the surgeon on Monday. I had so much anxiety that when she did an ultrasound my face was so hot & heart thumping so hard I thought it was going to break through my chest. My BP must have been through the roof as it is high anyway. It was all fine, she put the pain down to Femara. I will have to practice some calming techniques as have mammogram next month. I hate going there, it is just a place of bad memories! 
  • primek
    primek Member Posts: 5,392
    Love that quote.
  • melclarity
    melclarity Member Posts: 3,502
    @iserbrown That is sooooo true!!! and it NEVER CHANGES!!!! I'll be coming up to my 6th year but petrified eventhough I am 2 years clear, I had a recurrence at 4yrs...that fear never leaves. 
  • fairydust
    fairydust Member Posts: 290
    @iserbrown .I could not agree more. My cancer like so many came without warning. There are no obvious warning signs to check for anything going wrong. It just appears,or does not appear. I suppose it is like flying in a plane. Yes planes crash but the likelhood of crashing is very minimal. So how does the saying go be alert but not alarmed.
  • kayvie
    kayvie Member Posts: 157
    @iserbrown love that quote...very apt!
    @fairydust..agree with your comments.. .and the mantra be alert but not alarmed...easy to say but not easy to do!!
    Just have to keep repeating it and maybe then I will believe it.
  • Afraser
    Afraser Member Posts: 4,352
    Great quote.
  • iserbrown
    Yes the quote puts it into perspective - the fact that we've been there is more the concern!
  • mum2jj
    mum2jj Member Posts: 4,327
    @iserbrown love it and suffering with it too as I just booked in for mine next month.  Nearly 6 years on from a recurrence but it still rears its ugly head at this time....
    Paula xx
  • Brenda5
    Brenda5 Member Posts: 2,423
    Are we supposed to have ct and bone scans post treatment? I only had a mammogram on the remaining headlight and an ultrasound on the scars. Don't particularly want scans because I hate em too but just chekkin.
  • melclarity
    melclarity Member Posts: 3,502
    Brenda its not really practice to have ct or bone scans, my Oncologist said they'll only do them if there is a reason to. so it would just be a normal mammo and u/sound too for me this year on the remaining headlight lol. x
  • primek
    primek Member Posts: 5,392
    edited April 2017
    @Brenda5 No. This is the current guidelines put out last year.

https://canceraustralia.gov.au/affected-cancer/cancer-types/breast-cancer/life-after-breast-cancer/follow-after-breast-cancer

Interesting that some Drs are still doing them. My sister had scans for 5 years all clear then developed pain within 6 months. All that scanxiety she suffered did nothing to pick things up earlier. Follow up with a new constant pain did. 
  • iserbrown
    Yep every reason to have Scanxiety when they push and prod, take a few photos, ask me to sit, they come and have a conflab and then decide more photos would be good!  Yes I know they are being thorough but a simple process that took near on 30 minutes just adds to the scanxiety! 
  • wendy_h67
    wendy_h67 Member, Dragonfly Posts: 466
    Yes I  know what scan anxiety is. I had to have a bone scan 2 days ago. I have also been recovering from a chest infection and I was so worried that I would have a coughing fit half way through.  My G.P had given me some cough syrup with codiene in it to suppress the cough. He said it can make you constipated and also sleepy.  I was pleaseed I was not constipated and it definitely relaxed me and no coughing fit.! I find out the results on Tuesday and so far I'm not too anxious. I am already on I.V Abraxane,  what else can they do to me.! I have just had a 2 week break from chemo due to my chest infection. Normally I would enjoy the break but I have been feeling very lethargic and miserable. I'm sick of feeling sick!  Do you ever feel that way? I guess its just frustration, not being able to do thing you want to do. Tomorrow is another day. Hopefully the sun will be out and things will seem better.
  • iserbrown
    Oh @wendy h 67   I think you summed it up well!  We get sick of feeling sick!  I'd like just one day where I can look at it the next day and say hey gee yesterday, I didn't creak, twinge, need stemetil, Panadol osteo and so it goes!  I know I shouldn't complain as there are others worse off than me!
    Take care and sending you a virtual hug 
  • mum2jj
    mum2jj Member Posts: 4,327
    @primek is correct, definitely not standard practice and I hate them.  However had a very early recurrence of nasty very fast growing triple neg tumour and positive node.  I also have a lot of new pain in my back hip... it is usually arthritis, but the surgeon just being cautious I guess due to new pain. 
    Hopefully just the pesky arthritis.
    Paula