• SoldierCrab
    SoldierCrab Member Posts: 3,445
    Options
    I have just finished the awesome "The Restless Dead" by simon Beckett
    now to get another book 
  • melclarity
    melclarity Member Posts: 3,502
    Options
    My taste in Books is very different to say the likes of Movies LOL...in my collection to name a few are Louise Hays Heal Your Life, The Celestine Prophecy, The Tenth Insight, The Four Agreements, The Power of Now by Eckhart Tolle, The Seat of The Soul, 10 Secrets for Success and Inner Peace by Wayne Dyer, Anatomy of the Spirit.

My latest book is sitting there waiting, but I don't read alot anymore...it's Letting Go by David R Hawkins. I love thought provoking books :D 

xx Melinda
  • Afraser
    Afraser Member Posts: 4,373
    Options
    Strongly recommend Everywhere I Look by Helen Garner, a number of short stories which are personal, poignant, funny and full of insights for and about women of a certain age! 
  • socoda
    socoda Member Posts: 1,767
    Options
    Currently starting Hit and Run by Doug Johnstone - no idea if it's any good but will soon find out!!! What are you currently reading  Cosette?
  • Zoffiel
    Zoffiel Member Posts: 3,372
    Options
    'Into the Labyrinth' Sigge Eklund. Translated from Swedish.

I'm persisting because I want to kick my sloppy brain into gear, but I'm not enjoying it much. It's the only book I brought with me--I will head home on Friday so I couldn't be bothered sourcing another. Grim, introspective and Nordic it has a clumsy feel to the translation and there are spelling and grammatical errors that grate on my nerves. Never mind. The next good book is only a couple of days away.
  • viking1
    viking1 Member Posts: 288
    Options
    I used to be a Patricia Cornwall fan ... read all her novels except the most recent. I loved them, but not the latest ones so much since she has changed the narrator's point of view. I would love to see the early novels made into movies starring Jodie Foster. I confess I am a literary snob as studied Lit for Honours and didn't finish my MA. But I love a good psychological thriller ... James Patterson is my concentration span these days and I like the Alex Cross series of his. No sci-fi! This is a great idea for a thread! I miss reading due to concentration and friends suggested audio books. I think I will explore this before my brain falls out! Any suggestions welcome...have come to realise I don't have to read a book because it won a prize but have been indoctrinated to think so!

• Annedipa
    Annedipa Member Posts: 73
    Options
    Just finished When breath becomes air.  I read a wide variety of books but i find i read a lot less these days.
  • Brenda5
    Brenda5 Member Posts: 2,423
    Options
    I cant remember movies or series or books either but it does make the entertainment budget cheap because I can read and watch them over and its still pretty new. Currently in to Fifty Shades of Darkness but i only get thru a couple of pages before I am tired and go to sleep. Next time i pick it up I go back a page or two to fill me in where I was and by that time I am tired too. This book will take 50 years to read 50 shades lol.
  • Cosette
    Cosette Member Posts: 637
    Options

socoda said:

What are you currently reading  Cosette?

I'm currently reading Nineteen Eighty-Four by George Orwell, one of those classics I've never read. My previous fiction reads this year:
    • Burial Rites by Hannah Kent - By an Aussie author, this is a fictional account of the life of the last woman executed in Iceland in 1829. It was shortlisted for the Stella Prize 2014 and Baileys Women's Prize for Fiction 2014. It was a fascinating read.
    • The Underground Railroad by Colson Whitehead - An American novel about slavery that re-imagines the underground railroad as an actual locomotive rather than just a network of passages and safe houses. It won the 2017 Pulitzer Prize for Fiction.
    • The Brief Wondrous Life of Oscar Wao by Junot Díaz - This one is by a Dominican-American and tells the story of a family's struggle in the Dominican Republic and then in America. It won the 2016 Pulitzer Prize for Fiction.
    • American Gods by Neil Gaiman - The premise of this novel is that immigrants bring their gods with them. What happens to them? The mythic aspect is a vehicle for observations about society. I wanted to read this ahead of the TV adaptation and I loved it. It has won multiple awards.
    • White Teeth by Zadie Smith - This is a 2000 novel by a British author. It focuses on the later lives of two wartime friends and their families in London. Beneath that, it's about Britain's relationships with people from formerly colonised countries in Africa, Asia, and the Caribbean. This book has won multiple awards also. It was a lovely read - funny, poignant, and also sad at times.
    I love reading from a variety of perspectives, but I read mostly literary fiction. However, I'm thinking of up picking the suspense thriller The Dark Lake by Sarah Bailey. It's all the rage at the moment.
  • SoldierCrab
    SoldierCrab Member Posts: 3,445
    Options
    @viking1 I found concentration a problem after chemo etc but I slowly began reading short stories and worked my way back into my regular books.... Just a thought.... I think it was also a confidence thing the more I read and enjoyed the short stories the more I realised I could read a whole "regular book" again. 

• adean
    adean Member Posts: 1,036
    Options
    Sally obermeders breast cancer story very real
  • mum2jj
    mum2jj Member Posts: 4,330
    Options
    I am reading a book by Pamela Hart called A letter from Italy.  Its about a female journalist in Italy in WW1 when female journalists were unheard of.  I'm really enjoying it.
    Paula
  • primek
    primek Member Posts: 5,392
    Options
    @Cosette_BCNA Highly recommend the Japanese novels IQ84. Strange but fascinating.
  • Cosette
    Cosette Member Posts: 637
    Options

mum2jj said:

I am reading a book by Pamela Hart called A letter from Italy.  Its about a female journalist in Italy in WW1 when female journalists were unheard of.  I'm really enjoying it.
    Paula

I listened to her talking about this novel on a podcast. It sounds great. I love stories about women doing unexpected things. Martha Hellhorn, Hemingway's third wife, was also a war correspondent, during WWII. Fascinating woman. Pamela Hart is a one-book-a-year author. I don't know how they can be so prolific.
  • wendy55
    wendy55 Member Posts: 774
    Options
    Lee Childs - The Jack Reacher novels, does it for me any british crime writer, Kathy Reich, Patricia Cornwall, anything that keeps me turning the page , but also love books like the story of heroine Nancy Wake,and Edward "Weary Dunlop"
    reading is the greatest gift any parent can give to a child, my nan was responsible for my love of reading,Im with you Cosette,!!
    I will read the back of a cornflakes packet - anything will do when I am desperate.