Bookworms unite

Comments

• Cosette
    Cosette Member Posts: 637
    Second hand shops are the best, @adean. There's a good second hand bookshop near the BCNA office. I popped in yesterday and picked up a copy of The Brief Wondrous Life of Oscar Wao by Junot Diaz.
  • PaulaN
    PaulaN Member Posts: 237

I totally get that! I'm read the cereal box whilst I'm having cereal in the morning. lol Makes a lot of sense that I ended up in a job where I'm reading all day long.

I'm with you there, even the milk carton gets a look in.

My tastes are HUGE, I tend to read one genre for a few months, then change to something else completely. I love autobiographies and true stories. At the moment though I'm needing something really light & am reading some of my favourite Irish authors. I'v got 2 rooms lined with bookcases & 1800 on my kindle but at the moment I'm using the library. It's a case of if I haven't got a book in my hand there's a crochet hook there

• SoldierCrab
    SoldierCrab Member Posts: 3,445
    edited April 2017
    I love all books,,,, always been a readaholic  When we moved to a new suburb back in 1976 with a new library I read all their books in 6months they had to import from the main city library for me.... 
    I love the following authors 
    Mark Thomas  he wrote "the Murder of Jamie Bulger"
    Elizabeth George  " Inspector Lynley series
    Lisa Genova .... she writes about real life ailments.... "still Alice" about early onset Alzheimers etc
    Simon Beckett about his writing...

It was a visit to the Body Farm in Tennessee in 2002 that was the inspiration behind the internationally bestselling David Hunter crime thrillers. The series has been translated into 29 languages, and Simon’s novels have now sold over 10 million copies worldwide. In 2009 he was the UK’s top selling author in Europe. His books have been phenomenally successful in Germany, where the first four David Hunter novels all reached No.1 in either the hardback or paperback charts. In 2015, The Chemistry of Death was ranked 11th in Spiegel’s Top 40 Bestselling Books of the decade.

As well as the David Hunter series, he is the author of five standalone thrillers; Fine Lines, Animals, Where There’s Smoke, Owning Jacob and Stone Bruises.

AND Just released The restless dead .... MY kids will have something to get me for Mother's day ;) 

Peter Tremayne The Sister FIdelma series.... http://www.sisterfidelma.com/books.html

When my kids were younger I read all their books prior to them reading them so love emily Rodda stuff

@primek @socoda    have you read Jean Plaidy books ? love them about Jean ...

Eleanor Hibbert (1 September 1906 – 19 January 1993) was an English author who combined imagination with facts to bring history alive through novels of fiction and romance. She was a prolific writer who published several books a year in different literary genres, each genre under a different pen nameJean Plaidy for fictionalized history of European royalty; Victoria Holt for gothic romances, and Philippa Carr for a multi-generational family saga. A literary split personality, she also wrote light romances, crime novels, murder mysteries and thrillers under the various pseudonyms including Eleanor BurfordElbur FordKathleen KellowAnna Percival, and Ellalice Tate.

In 1989, the Romance Writers of America gave her the Golden Treasure award in recognition of her significant contributions to the romance genre.[1] By the time of her death, she had written more than 200 books that worldwide sold more than 100 million copies in 20 languages.[2] She continues to be a widely borrowed author among lending libraries.[3] Her popular works of historical fiction are appreciated by readers and critics alike for their accuracy, quality of writing, and attention to detail.[4]

Leah Fleming , Tracy Durham, Anita Diamant, Bryce Courtenay, Todd Burpo,  just to name a few authors I like ;)

• HelloCaroline
    HelloCaroline Member Posts: 52
    Ooooh - just couldn't resist joining in this conversation. I'm attaching my "Best books of 2016" list which I sent to friends last year instead of a Christmas card. 
    I belong to a Bookclub which I found on "Meetup" - a great forum for all sorts of hobby groups. Enjoy! 
  • HelloCaroline
    @Zoffiel and @Kat09 I think you both might enjoy Kate Atkinson. She is super smart and has a crime series that almost defies description- somehow managing to combine moments of comic genius with riveting thriller stories. Book 1 in the series is "Case Histories". Let me know how you go! 
  • HelloCaroline
    @Soldier Crab from the descriptions of your favourite books,  I think you might enjoy "The Immortal Life of Henrietta Lacks" by Rebecca Skloot, "The Curious Incident of The Dog in the Night Time" and "Elizabeth is Missing". Take a look at my "Best Books of 2016" attachment for further info.
  • HelloCaroline
    @Soldier Crab I glitches your name in the post above! 
  • Zoffiel
    Zoffiel Member Posts: 3,372

If anything can provide proof of the (still) disputed chemo brain, this discussion is it for me. I worked for 15 years in public libraries prior to my diagnosis and at least 50% of my week was frontline customer service. I still have people stopping me in the street/servo/supermarket asking me for recommendations. It. Was. My. Thing. Now I can't tell you the name, or title, of the book I'm not managing to read. I can't remember peoples names, let alone authors.

A friend who is still in the industry brings books for me and takes care of my account. That's something I did for innumerable clients over the years without realizing exactly how much our public librarians can make a difference when books are like food, you can't live without them, even if you can't cook or figure out the menu.

• jadziatoo
    jadziatoo Member Posts: 38
    I go between crime/thriller, romance and whatever takes my fancy. I love Lee Child, Patricia Cornwall, Sara Paretsky, Michael Connelly and Kathy Reichs in crime. I am currently reading the Outlander series by Diane Gabaldon and my favourite romance series at the moment is Nalini Singh's Rock Kiss series. I am also reading Five Came Back: A Story of Hollywood and the Second World War when I want something a bit different. 
  • Kat09
    Kat09 Member, Dragonfly Posts: 269

I too read the Outlander series of books @jadziatoo probably about 15 years ago, they were and are a great read! I really enjoy stories about witchcraft and history. I also really loved Memoirs of a Geisha, the book and the movie are both favourites.

• jadziatoo
    jadziatoo Member Posts: 38

Kat09 said:

I too read the Outlander series of books @jadziatoo probably about 15 years ago, they were and are a great read! I really enjoy stories about witchcraft and history. I also really loved Memoirs of a Geisha, the book and the movie are both favourites.

I am really enjoying them so far. I enjoyed Memoirs of a Geisha as well.
  • wendy_h67
    wendy_h67 Member, Dragonfly Posts: 466
    I never use to read much, but having chemo on a regular basis I have got through a lot of books lately.  My favorite author is Kate Morton who is an Australian writer  from Queensland . She writes a really good novel which is hard to put down. Her stories often have a  twist to the ending which you dont see coming. I  have read 6 of here books and hope she writes another one soon.
  • LMK74
    LMK74 Member Posts: 795
    I love martina cole also, have many of her novels. Kay hooper is another good author of suspense. I absolutely love anything murder and suspense. 
  • LMK74
    LMK74 Member Posts: 795
    Karen slaughter is another good author of suspense.  So many i could go on and on lol.
  • Cosette
    Cosette Member Posts: 637
    What's everyone reading now?