Redneck. Rehab

Options
Zoffiel
Zoffiel Member Posts: 3,372
So, no subsidised one-on-one physio available here, only a group exercise program that is perfectly timed to make it impossible to attend while doing the 180 km a day trek to rads.

I REFUSE TO BE AN OLD WOMAN AT 53! I've decided the only way to go about getting my muscles back is a bit of good old fashioned back yard gym. I've got about 8 tonnes of wood to split and stack and another whole tree on the way. That, and a decent bushwalk a couple of times a week should do it.

I am a protein consuming machine at the moment, a trout for breakfast? Why not! I may never be up to running and jumping again. But. I. Will. Not. Be. Feeble.

Then, when that's done I have a few holes to dig. And a horse to ride (once I get my balance back)

Comments

• socoda
    socoda Member Posts: 1,767
    Options
    And what are  you doing after lunch?  ;)
  • melclarity
    melclarity Member Posts: 3,502
    Options
    Marg, I totally agree!! love your attitude!!! and I soooo refuse also at 49 to be god damn FEEBLE!!!! PFFFT!!! NOT HAPPENING!! xo
  • iserbrown
    iserbrown Member Posts: 5,552
    Options
    And they say what do you do with your time???????????
  • Zoffiel
    Options
    Might rebuild that shed @socoda I was hoping the tree would fall on it, but looks like I'm out of luck on that front too :)
  • primek
    primek Member Posts: 5,392
    edited April 2017
    Options
    No exercise physiologist in the area that could set you up with a home program, funded under a GP health plan for people with chronic conditions? I had one after a prior illness and it helped.

Mind you ...doing all that work is certainly not feeble...just try not to fall in the woodpile like I did when on chemo.  :)
  • Zoffiel
    Options

@primek There doesn't seem to be any help available if I can't fit in with the structured program offered through the hospital, though I will ask my GP. At the moment I'm relying on what the breast care nurses are telling me.

I've got a pretty good idea what I should be doing--God knows I've spent enough time being coached through sporting injuries and heaving myself around in a gym to have the basics covered. I just haven't got the motivation to push myself unless someone is prodding me or I can compete with myself to get a task done.

I'd like to get some stretching program sorted out that is a bit more structured and focused than what I'm currently doing. It would be really nice to do that somewhere else for a little while--my floors are that covered in dog hair at the moment it is both disgusting and distracting :)

• Michelle_W
    Michelle_W Member Posts: 54
    Options
    I am exhausted just reading that! Who needs a physio? Go girl!!!!
  • socoda
    Options
     @Zoffiel, you're amazing!! Have you thought along the lines of if you can't access a program in person what about an online program? I'm sure that there would be something that would fit the bill and you could schedule a set time to do it (like you would if you were doing it with someone else) and you could do it in between chopping your wood and building your new shed ;)
  • primek
    Options
    Was wondering if this may help
    https://revitalise.bcna.org.au/

• Afraser
    Afraser Member Posts: 4,373
    Options

Sympathetic as I am to the problems of young women getting breast cancer (or any cancer) I was very irritated by this website which I hit one night by accident. The Canadians are usually better than this. www.rethinkbreastcancer.com.  At 71 I'll wear the tag (with the irrits) but lumping the many, many women who get breast cancer in their 40s and 50s into the old women category is not on. Clearly my good tempered remonstrance to them did no good at all as it's still up. Maybe we all need to take up woodchopping - a woman with an axe is hard to argue with.

• Zoffiel
    Options
    I bought a big boys' toy to help with the wood splitting as I'm a bit passed beating up trees with an axe now, @Afraser. I do have quite an impressive hammer and axe collection though--if you feel the need to win an uncivilized debate :)
  • socoda
    Options
    Bwahahaha - at the end of the day I have Humphrey B Bears stomach!!!
  • primek
    Options
    @Socoda. ..me too
  • melclarity
    melclarity Member Posts: 3,502
    Options
    Ohhh Marg gee you make me laugh so hard honestly!!! xo