Treatment and working

Jensen
Jensen Member Posts: 8
The last 6 weeks of my life feels like I've entered into some kind of alternate universe. Two surgeries later, I have been diagnosed with an 18mm, grade 3 triple negative, in one lymph node. I am 59 years old, no family history so feeling a lot of WTF moments. 
I am about to start 6 months of chemo and I know this is all unknown how each of us will react, but I really want to keep working if I can. I'm the sole breadwinner, so contemplating not working for 6 months is horrifying to me. My job, however, is working as a nurse in a GP practice, possibly not the best place to work if my immunity is impaired. I keep fluctuating between I'll give it a go and just do admin work out the back, to it's just not going to be feasible. I'm very fortunate to have an amazing workplace who are very flexible but I want to do the right thing by them as well. 
Any thoughts or suggestions?? 

Comments

• rowdy
    rowdy Member Posts: 1,165
    Welcome to the site, it is a tough decision to make. I look back now and not sure how I did it but I did work through treatment. I'm a carer in the community and I did consider being around people but I decided that I needed to work as it was something else to think about. My boss and work mates were very supportive.. It was tough and I did get to a time when I had to stop as I had a fall. It was really tough but I'm glad I tried as it was a little bit of normal.
    I had chemo and wore a wig and no- one knew I had a wig.
    Good luck it is a tough trip but you will get there 
  • Hulos
    Hulos Member Posts: 94
    Hi Jensen, i stopped working  from the time my treatment started and that is also 6 months. I know some ladies continue  to work but i couldnt see myself doing that with a stressful  job. As you said the immune system is also affected and the last thing you want is to get sick yourself. 
    I was sick last week with a virus and high temperature, not sure how i got it and ended up being in hospital for 3 nights and put my chemo off for the week.
    Being a sole breadwinner  can have its challenges, remember to allow yourself  couple of days to rest after chemo and take it easy from then on.
    My bc is 3.4cm and lymph nodes involved, started with chemo to shrink it, followed by op and 6 weeks  of radiation
    Good luck to you and take care..
  • Glemmis
    Glemmis Member Posts: 343
    Hi Jensen, you are experiencing very normal feelings. It is a huge shock & overwhelming in the beginning. I was diagnosed last July, lumpectomy & sentinel node biopsy & then mastectomy & axilla clearance with 3 cancerous nodes. I did 4 x AC & 12 Taxol. I work 3 days per week & worked all the way through with 2 days off. I was worried about immunity too as I work in a Dr's clinic but was lucky to not catch anything. I had bad days but didn't suffer too much. Everybody is different but I think you can plan to work & just see how it goes & if too much then cut down your hours or work less days. My employers were very supportive & in the end it worked out.  
  • Afraser
    Afraser Member Posts: 4,353
    Hi Jensen

I remember feeling just the way you do. The short and possibly unhelpful answer is that you may not know if you can continue working until you start treatment. It's not so much about immunity as to how you feel yourself. Some people work right through - I did, and the only germs I had to contend with were my own (small problem with fluid build up!). I too wore a wig. All my colleagues knew I was having treatment because I told them, but it wasn't obvious to anyone else. I looked well and my "hair" was much more attractive than my frizzy locks when my own hair started to grow back (it was very welcome all the same).

But I had no nausea, no aching, no fatigue. All of these can knock people about. A flexible work place is a wonderful start. Plan to work, but plan to make changes if they are necessary. 6 months sounds forever but it will pass. Good luck.
  • socoda
    socoda Member Posts: 1,767
    Hi Jensen, Can't help as I didn't have chemo but just wanted to send you a hug. Can you perhaps see how you go and possibly organise to take a couple of days off if needed when you get to your lowest peak in the treatment cycle? Xx
  • Pammy46
    Pammy46 Member Posts: 162
    Hi Jenson
    i took 2 weeks off after surgery but worked right through radiation until the last week as I had severe burns you will know your body I played it by ear and let my employer know when I needed to take holidays.. I too had to work as I was only in my new job 5 months when I got diagnosed so several days were without pay it's a tough road when you have to worry about money as well.. hoping treatment is kind to you xx
  • primek
    primek Member Posts: 5,392
    I planned that I would go back to work once I'd settled into chemo but realised both physically and mentally I just couldn't do it. It was very hard for me to accept this and I was racked with guilt about it. But finally accepting it and taking the pressure off was a huge relief. I know of a number of women who could work and both in health industry and neither got sick because of it. It's really only that 1st cycle for most that is risky as after that most go on neulasta injections which will boost your immune system so you are less likely to get sick. I found the side effects on me were debilitating. But we all are different and as others have said you won't know until you start. Kath x
  • adean
    adean Member Posts: 1,036
    I worked through treatment but honestly wish l hadnt. I tried to be superwoman and everyone told me l was amazing inspiring. Actualy no l was a stubborn idiot. I widh ld been kinder to me as when l did have 2 months of for a hysterectomy l fell in a heap. Xxxadean
  • melclarity
    melclarity Member Posts: 3,502
    @Jensen Hello!!!! Welcome!!! Well I remember being in  a spin like you when I was facing Chemo as Im a single parent and was working full time in an Autism Specific School as an ES. Its physically and mentally demanding, so according to my Oncologist my first Regime of 4 FEC x 3 weekly, Id be no good the first week but could work the next 2. He then said when I hit TAXOL Id be able to work maybe 3 days of the week this was for 8 infusions. I was so determined and wanted to work for many reasons. HOWEVER....for my 2nd, 3rd and 4th infusion of FEC I was put in hospital for 3 days each, I managed to get back to work for the 3rd week then off again. It got worse, I was very ill...I was so upset because I couldnt manage in the end and I had to stop. It didnt work out the way the Oncologist said it would at all. I was very very ill, so I used all my sick leave in 2015. I went back to work 2016 but thankfully found income protection through Vic Super...its 90 days waiting but the approved and backpaid me lucky I had savings as I had no income. I realized it worked out how it was meant to, no matter how much I tried to control it, it wasnt going to matter. Once I let go of all expectation I went with it, I will never ever put work above my health again. I love my job and miss my kids...but I learnt to love me more and thing is even now?? recovering from a Mastectomy/Diep Flap recon I am loving my healing time and this was the biggest lesson through all this for me...ME first finally and Ive never been happier :) so I say wait and see how you go, have some plans in place if it doesnt work out, its great they are flexible so communicate and see what you can work out. 

The other thing is too, I was concerned about no immune system, especially where I worked, but the Oncologist said no problem as more chance getting something at the Supermarket. He was right, I didnt get sick from anyone the entire 6 months. I just always wash hands and thats all thats needed. 

All the best with everything, best thing is to listen to your body, you may just be more than fine to work. Hugs Melinda xo
  • Unicornkisses
    Unicornkisses Member Posts: 402
    I am currently going through my second cycle of FEC chemo. On day 5 and there is no way I can work until at least day 14 after, I can't even drive until day 10 as I am shakey, blurred vision and have no concentration. I did manage to do some mornings work last cycle, but with a Neulasta injection this time it will be an unknown again.
    It is indeed an unknown, how your body will react. 
    I was also in the position where my white blood cells were very low so chemo was delayed, not a great situation to be in if you are around a lot of potentially sick people.

Some people do work through and have fewer side effects, but perhaps you had best investigate a plan B in case you can't, such as Centrelink payments or whatever you can access.
    Your body really needs to be taken care of through treatment, and you need to be as stress free as you can manage.

Good luck and I hope you get through it as easily as possible.
  • Jensen
    edited April 2017
    Thanks Melinda...you are so right...I am trying to control it and hate that I can't. I'm still undecided but it has been so good to hear everyone's thoughts and experiences. 
    xoxo
  • Jensen
    edited April 2017
    Thank you so much everyone for your comments. It has helped me to be a bit clearer in my mind. You are all amazing xo
  • melclarity
    melclarity Member Posts: 3,502
    Jensen, I think the thing is just be true to you no matter what that is, and great to investigate all things if you cannot work. I had a terrible time, Im a single parent and Centrelink were a nightmare, NO HELP at all! they deemed I would have to spend over $10,000 of my own money to support myself before they would help support me with sickness benefits. Ummm so Ive worked hard all my life paid my taxes and couldnt get assistance. I literally had to support myself for 3 months that I couldnt work. Thankfully I found by accident the clause of income protection that I didnt know existed. The universe was so looking out for me. What I learnt through it all is for me....its been about me and my body healing...not pushing myself to do more and be more...but to stop and put myself first something I never did. Everyone is different...but it has been the biggest positive to come out of the whole thing. Unfortunately Ive been doing this since 2011 and 2015 was a recurrence, I didnt learn my lesson and it was so apparent I just never made time for me...because before I left my marriage, my life was about everyone else...once I left and took my kids and started again, my life had to be about my kids only...its just the way it was and had to be....so when I got hit again...I listened to me...Im so blessed to have the 2 best kids in the world who have weathered the past 6yrs of pure hell and we are all so happy strangely lol because I now put me first so I can make sure everyone else is ok..xo
  • Cassina
    Cassina Member Posts: 74
    Hi Jensen, I too am a nurse and trying to work, which takes my mind off.Work mates are supportive and Oncologist said you are not at risk of getting any infection, just be careful. I am however very tired at the end of the day and have a long drive home, I have realised the worse symtoms are at night. I am contemplating asking to work 8- 4 and leave early, as I have used all my sick leave. I could take LSL but will try to press on, despite some nurses saying "you are an Idiot to try and work"patients however are very accepting

• Jensen
    Hi thanks Cassina. I have now just done my second chemo. I tried to work a few shifts after the first round but then ended up in hospital for a week with febrile neutropenia..not really related to working but has made me more anxious about it all. 
    I am going to give it another go though as my leave is being rapidly eaten up. I felt so well before I was admitted to hospital that I had been planning to go in for the whole following week! It was a bit of a blow. Good on you for working...it is certainly very tiring but I have come to the realisation that I need to put my health first. 
    Take care  
    Penny