Yinging and Yanging

Bowie
Bowie Member Posts: 25
edited March 2017 in Health and wellbeing
Hello to everyone ..xx Well my ct scan and bone scan came back normal ,and l should e dancing on the moon ..l was very relieved ..But l am booked in for a double mastectomy next Friday and lymph node as well .lm ok sometimes and feel like ok l will do this ..then lm so panicked l feel like lm going insane and terrified ..Even though l have the lumpectomy 2weeks ago l can not have reconstruction ..lm worried that getting lymph nodes removed is another shock to your body ..My brain will not switch off it is permanently on you will have no breasts in a week ..lm trying to mentally prepare for all of this ..the stay is only one day and l live on my own ...
Tagged:

Comments

• SoldierCrab
    SoldierCrab Member Posts: 3,445
    @Bowie it is normal to be yinging and yanging during this time.  Do you have a breast care nurse askher  for home help or community nursing visits  ask to speak with counsellor.... do things now cook some meals and freeze 
  • melclarity
    melclarity Member Posts: 3,502
    @Bowie it is a whirlwind and so much to sift through, Im recovering from a single mastectomy/diep flap reconstruction and Im on my own at 4.5 weeks. Honestly when people ask if they can help actually say Id love a meal for the freezer, or I even bought a few frozen for the freezer and honestly I was getting around fine after a week and could cook. :) hang in there, it is scary, but the worst part is actually fear. Hugs Melinda xo
  • Afraser
    Afraser Member Posts: 4,370
    Do you have any friend who can possibly stay with you for a few days at least? It's a lot to think about but if possible, try and think about the big priorities:

Your surgery will help you get rid of cancer, that's a good thing!
    You are a lot more than your breasts!
    Your body is an amazing organism and can do extraordinary things. Trust it and it may surprise you with its resilience and strength.
    You are not alone - many women have done this and many women are wishing you well.

Very good news about your scans - don't lose sight of that. Best wishes.
  • fairydust
    fairydust Member Posts: 290
    @Bowie I agree with Soldier Crab. Can you ring your breast care nurse? The cancer council are great to talk to. Think Pink and Breacan I found were fantastic support. I had chemo prior to surgery and met a few women that had a double masectomy. One lady in particular told me that she was so surprised how easy the operation was. In her case things went well. After I  rang Breacan for support I was asked whether I would like follow up phone calls from time to time I said yes. The ladies I speak with have all been on this journey. Reach out and talk to someone.  In my case at the very last minute it was decided I only needed a lumpectomy chemo had gone extremely well.
    I had lympth nodes removed and feel fine. Your body does bounce back nothing stays forever. Of course your body will be different but you will adapt. Pick up the phone. So many people want to help and make your journey easier.
  • lgray3911
    lgray3911 Member Posts: 207
    Hi Bowie
    I had a double mastectomy on the 9th of March and honestly could not believe how well I felt after it. Remember that when they remove your breasts they remove all the breast tissue which includes the nerves so no pain! It really is unbelievable. I had to go back 2 weeks later and have more nodes out because the sentinel node biopsy came back positive and to be honest that was quite painful but manageable. I'm not good at taking painkillers so probably didn't do myself any favours with recovery. Am a week post op today and pain levels are so much better. Good luck! Xx
  • Butterfly 40
    Butterfly 40 Member Posts: 150
    Hi @Bowie It's ok to feel yinging and yanging this time. There are great support out there you can reach up to. I am waiting for double mastectomy as well.

I was connected with two lovely BC survivors by cancer connect program with cancer council Victoria. We had lovely conversations over the phone. They can give you follow up calls if you would like to talk to them again.

I visited the Breacan office, there were lovely volunteers to chat with and resources to borrow. If you can't visit the office, you can call and ask the volunteer to give you a call. It makes me feel better to talk to someone who had the experiences we are going through.

There should be a district nurse visiting you daily after your surgery.  

You can ask your breast care nurse to refer you for a social worker to organise some services and support when you get home after surgery. 

You can call your city council to check if you can apply for any home support services, such as meal delivery, home maintenance and personal cares. 

Good luck and all the best with your surgery! 

Lots of of love and hugs for you!