Never thought I would get here

Options
Nadi
Nadi Member Posts: 619
This time last year I was probably at the lowest I have ever been. I had finished chemo, got through a stack of nasty side effects and complications,  I had scars, was bald, was about to start radiation, still had another 8 months of Herceptin to get through, I was battle weary, incredibly tired, my self esteem was shot, and I was worried about my future.  To top everything off I had put on weight.

I was already obese before I started chemo, but the steroids and treatment helped me to stack on another 7 kilos so that at my heaviest I reached a staggering 119 kgs!!!!  I don't know how I ever got that big ... oh wait, yes I do, it was chocolate and hot chips twice a week, not really thinking about what I ate, and no exercise thanks to my arthritis -  a real no brainer.  I never really saw myself as big, or if I did, it really didn't bother me, after all hubby was big too and that man loves me to the ends of the earth and back no matter what - bless him!.  Now I look at old photos and wow, even though I am 175 cm, who am I kidding, I was huge!!

Back 12 months ago I would read posts from some of you about the marathons you ran after breast cancer. I was so happy for your achievements. I could see how proud you were, and to be honest I felt a little sad that with my arthritis I thought I would never be able to achieve something like that and have that sense of accomplishment.

But here I am a year later, life is good and I am happy to say that I have achieved a different kind of marathon.  Today I was ecstatic to learn that after losing 28 kilos I am no longer in the obese range of the BMI calculator!!!!! For some of you that won't mean anything, or it may even not sound that great, but for me I can't tell you how good that feels. Well yes I can, that's the reason I am posting - to tell you just how good that feels! It's awesome!

It has only taken me 6 months and I have done it without exercise. I did it by only eating foods from the anti inflammatory diet which really isn't anything special at all. The pain I was experiencing from arthritis was the reason I radically changed what I ate. Now it all seems so simple. I am never hungry. I love my food which is all fresh and natural, no bread or rice, just fresh fruit, fresh veggies and meat, fish or chicken, eggs and a little milk all in small portions. I have a small piece of dark mint chocolate every day (there's no way I could totally give up my chocolate), I still have a few wines a week and I eat out on special occasions, so I don't feel deprived of anything.

I feel great, but what's also great is that I had to throw out ALL of my clothes and buy a whole new wardrobe! I am also getting compliments from at least one person everyday which really gives my self esteem a boost. My sons, hubby, doctors and chemo nurses are all very supportive. Best of all with all of the effort going into eating well I am no longer dwelling on breast cancer and I'm not worrying about recurrence. Who has time to worry about BC when you're enjoying life?

I am still overweight and have another 7 to 8 kilos to go before I get closer to my recommended BMI for my height but having come this far I know I can get there. I am still dealing with the horrible hot flushes - which have come back with a vengeance after a two-month reprieve (grrrrrrrr). I still have to take meds for high blood pressure, which I thought would have improved with the weight loss, but hasn't. And I am still dealing with debilitating post chemo fatigue which threatens to rob me of my driver's licence, but at least I am looking and feeling a lot better as I tackle these things.

For all of those who are struggling to get through treatment or have finished and are maybe worrying about whether it gets better, I can tell you that it does. There are times when I had my doubts, but it does get better. And, as in my case, some things can be even better than they were before breast cancer.

The support I have received from this network since I joined in October 2015 has been amazing. It stuns me thinking about the wonderful advice, care and encouragement that I have received. So thank you. And if anyone needs encouragement or extra support with weight loss or healthy eating, I would be happy to share what has worked for me if you send me a private message.

Off to do my little happy dance ...... in my new clothes! yippee

Nadine

Comments

Share Member Posts: 217
    Options
    Hey @Nadi - let me be the first to say - congratulations, well done and this is your marathon !  :)

Apart from your arthritis and then with a bc diagnosis, you had every single reason to not go on a radically different diet when as we all know, after a bc diagnosis most control that we previously had in our lives goes out the window ! We want normality, familiarity when there are so many unknowns. 

Huge kudos to you on this fantastic achievement and yeah of course welcome those compliments - you deserve them. 

More power to you Nadine. 

Best wishes, Sheryl xxxx <3
  • Deanne
    Deanne Member Posts: 2,163
    Options
    Yay @Nadi! Congratulations and I am sure what you have achieved has taken way more effort than running a marathon (although I am pretty sure that would be awfully tough too  ;) ) .
    Achieving any goal takes motivation, dedication and persistence, which you seem to have in abundance now. Well done on making such big changes to your life. You are an inspiration to others who follow in your footsteps. 
    Deanne xxx
  • Afraser
    Afraser Member Posts: 4,371
    Options
    This a lovely post, thank you. It's the best possible information for people who are in the throes of chemo, radiation, feeling foul and not seeing any light at the end of the tunnel. Well done, keep well and thanks again for sharing the good news!
  • brightspace
    brightspace Member Posts: 445
    Options
    Hi Nadi Superb dedication a new you ! Great to read your achievements
    allthe best Bright
  • primek
    primek Member Posts: 5,392
    Options
    Woohoo...28 kgs ...aren't you incredible and your arthritis would be saying thankyou as well.

So glad life is better as a SURVIVOR  as that is what you are. You have moved into that phase now and reclaiming your life and figuring out the new normal.

And what wonderful support you have been for me and so many others.

So proud of you my fellow BC sister and may the future continue to be brighter.

Kath x
  • adean
    adean Member Posts: 1,036
    Options
    Now thats an achievement on and up supergirl. Adean xc
  • Meredith_BCNA
    Meredith_BCNA Member Posts: 15
    Options

@Nadi Congratulations on achieving your own personal! marathon A fantastic achievement.

• kayvie
    kayvie Member Posts: 157
    Options
    Congratulations @Nadi! You have won your marathon and then some!! An amazing achievement and you should stand proud and tall! 
    An inspirational read for us all...thanks for sharing x
  • SoldierCrab
    SoldierCrab Member Posts: 3,445
    Options
    @Nadi go girl that is awesome happy for you.... I am working on eating healthy and trying to get some exercise in .... to lose 30Kgs..... 
  • Molly001
    Molly001 Member Posts: 419
    Options
    Awesome! Thanks for sharing your uplifting story.
  • Lmc1310
    Lmc1310 Member Posts: 120
    Options
    Hi Nadi, I enjoyed reading your post, it is inspirational. Thank you. Congratulations and very best wishes xoxo
  • Harlee
    Harlee Member Posts: 106
    Options
    Wow - what a great story to read! So happy for you. You've really done well to lose so much weight and I'm sure you must be feeling so much better. Good luck with those final few kilos.
  • Twiggyjumps
    Twiggyjumps Member Posts: 116
    Options
    Nadine, you are a fabulous inspiration. Well done. Thank you for sharing your journey. Congratulations xxxx & big hugs 
  • AineG
    AineG Member Posts: 53
    Options
    Hi Nadi

Congrats!  What a great inspiration.  Well Done!

• LITHGOW1950
    LITHGOW1950 Member Posts: 314
    Options
    Well done  you! Reading your post was so uplifting. You have done so extremely well.  I like you joined Oct 2015 and only this week met up with a good friend who has had BC and we both agree how good life is for us now. Sure some days we may not feel great but The good days out number that not so good! 

take care Nadi and keep smiling and dancing. 
    Anne-Marie