Why not join the Living with metastatic private group? Access group via the link here.

Advice on premeds before Herceptin infusion tomorrow for bad sinus pain please?

Options
Sam09
Sam09 Member Posts: 149
edited March 2017 in Metastatic breast cancer
Good Afternoon Ladies,
                                      Tomorrow is my infusion day and I am suffering from severe sinus pain with the herceptin. This will be my 5 th infusion and after the last infusion I suffered from sinus relentlessly non stop. I don't like to mention it again to my onc because as it is not a usual side effect but one that does occur and then they rush to do a brain scan for mets. In which I don't have.  I have always suffered from sinus. I have researched it and some people take clarantyne tabs before the infusion but I am hesitant to take anything before them. So I am wondering if any of you have done this or had sinus pain from herceptin.... Any advice would be wonderful thank you!!

Comments

• Pamelamary
    Pamelamary Member Posts: 240
    Options
    Sam, I don't think Claratyne would cause any problems with Herceptin, but you should check with your doctor. I sometimes get a headache afterwards, which usually goes after a panadol. 
    Best wishes.... Pam
  • Zoffiel
    Zoffiel Member Posts: 3,372
    Options
    Claratyne has very few contraindications. I'd take it. But then I'd take nearly anything to avoid pain
  • Melsie97
    Melsie97 Member Posts: 74
    Options
    Hi Sam. At the moment I'm still
    on Pacitaxol whilst having Herceptin. I'm currently on Claratyne and Zantac as a premed. I'm not sure if this will continue just on Herceptin. Sorry it's not much help. It will be interesting to see if it continues whilst just on Herceptin. Hopefully you can find an answer. Mel
  • Tricoteuse
    Tricoteuse Member Posts: 5
    Options
    You can try Flo Nasal wash as well. Get it over the counter at any pharmacy. Will clear any debris, allergens etc. out of your nasal passages, might help decrease your pain. It's just a saline wash, so no interactions with medication.
  • primek
    primek Member Posts: 5,392
    Options
    I used a saline nasal spray which helped as does steam. Hot water in a bowel with towel over head.  Sudafed would probably be better than clarytine as it reduces the inflammation in the sinus cavity.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pseudoephedrine