Scared

Options
Annabelle
Annabelle Member Posts: 45

Hi guys, I was newly diagnosed in October. I am currently undergoing chemo, I have been worrying about some pain in my ribs and the Dr said for my own peace of mind he would order another ct scan to do. I already had one in November, However he doesn't think its necessary and I'm  worried its all  in my head.

Just wondering how often breast cancer patients have ct scans and if Its really necessary for your own peace of mind?

I am struggling mentally at the moment and not sure if I'm making it worse than it is. I have two small kids and I'm definitely scared.

I also don't wont to have radiation unnecessarily as I'm sure there will be more scans in the future.

Some advice would be appreciated.

Annabelle x

Comments

• melclarity
    melclarity Member Posts: 3,502
    Options
    Annabelle, HEY! and welcome. Im sorry that you are here, but you are in great company!! You'll get an abundance of support here by many people with very different diagnosis and journeys. Its so incredibly normal to be scared! Its a frightening time. I honestly feel if you had a scan in November it really wouldnt be necessary. Ive had BC twice in 4yrs and my last diagnosis in 2015 I had full body scans the works, 1yr after I had my scans again mammos and u/sounds. So unless I felt something was drastically abnormal they wont do scans regularly. My Oncologist said Id have them yearly, as there is no use having them more regularly. Its natural how you are feeling, have you thought of contacting the Counseling service? I have a Psychologist that I used in 2011 and only touched base with her recently, but honestly it helped immensely.  If there are things we can help with ask away, am very sure we can help ease your mind. Big hugs Melinda xo hang in there! 
  • primek
    primek Member Posts: 5,392
    Options
    I know someone who had pain and was terribly worried so they ordered a scan so she could relax. Easier to talk yourself through discomforts when you know it's okay. Chemo causes all sorts of aches and pains. Especially any pre existing injuries like muscle tears etc arthritis,  it all flares up.

Have you had any surgery pre chemo?
  • socoda
    socoda Member Posts: 1,767
    Options
    Hi Annabelle, it sounds like you have a fantastic gp who is looking out for you both physically and mentally!! Too good!!! I'm absolutely sure that if there were any worries about you having the ct scan radiation wise you Dr would not recommend you going ahead with it. We can certainly be our own worst enemies when it comes to worrying so I think it is excellent you are going to get peace of mind by having this done. Of course you are scared particularly with your two little ones to take into consideration so even more reason to get this pain checked so you can get on with your treatment and focus in getting better. Sending you big hugs. Xx Cath
  • Zoffiel
    Zoffiel Member Posts: 3,372
    Options
    Hi Annabelle,
    Your time line is similar to mine though this is my second cancer episide after ten years disease free. I don't think most doctors dole out CTs like lollies, is this your oncologist or your GP? If they think more tests are warranted, I'd think hard before refusing.
    Pain and anxiety are all part of the process. It can send you a bit mental and you start questioning your own judgement. Yet more reasons none of us want to do this shit. That said, I don't think anyone  who is reading your post would dismiss your concerns. Too many of us have had late diagnosis of primary or secondary disease; if you think something is wrong that needs to be followed up.
    Depending on where you live, a Pet scan may be an option. There really is no consistency with tests, some of us have bone scans and MRIs, some don't. It seems to depend on what is regionally available and what Medicare will cover (which can vary depending on the stage of your disease)
    Keep asking questions. There are no stupid ones. 
    Marg
  • Annabelle
    Annabelle Member Posts: 45
    Options

Thanks for the information and assurance.

I haven't had surgery as yet. I Will be having it after Chemo, I think one of the main reasons I'm so worried about it is when I had the first ct scan the report read that there were patchy abnormalities probably inflammatory but follow up recommended. I did have a nasty cough at the time, the drs put it down to that but now I'm feeling achey around ribs and Im constantly worried about it. I hope its chemo related.

• primek
    primek Member Posts: 5,392
    Options
    Yes it may well be the chemo flaring up that area again but a CT will be definitive and maje it easier to sleep at night. The fear is the hardest part of cancer treatment. .. so yes, you often can feel like you are going bonkers. But rest assured it's a normal part of this horrid journey we are on. 
  • Nadi
    Nadi Member Posts: 619
    Options
    Hi Annabelle, welcome. Sorry you had to join us here. I understand how you are feeling. I finished a year of treatment last November and I still get worried about anything different like aches and pains and I rash I developed. I had 9 CTs during treatment as well a MRI and a PET scan. The CTs were for suspected blood clots on the lung because I had shortness of breath from docetaxal and inflammation of the oesophagus from radiation. My MRI was ordered because I had severe fatigue and fell asleep while driving one day. The PET scan showed inflammation that ended up being arthritis. I also had severe bone pain but that was from taking Neulasta (could it be that?).   It is so hard not to worry especially when you have new symptoms. But your doctor will know about the likelihood of whether it could be something related to your particular cancer and order or not order tests accordingly. It is only with hindsight that I now  think I was over tested - especially the CTs - but the doctors will order tests to rule out things and so many of us are thankful that they do. I definitely wouldn't think that I had been over tested if they had found a new cancer. As @primek said the fear is the hardest part. If you need to have another CT to reassure you then don't beat yourself up about it. Do whatever you have to to get through this thing. 

Good luck.