fundraising fun

Options
cranky_granny
cranky_granny Member Posts: 702
Well I am again committed to the Penrith relay for life.  having been involved prior to my diagnosis of Breast cancer I thought about switching. But after all, ALL CANCERS SUCK BIG TIME.  In my family I have lost a husband to Liver cancer and I have a  brother that has survived (2 years now) Rectal cancer and a cousin to throat cancer another to another cancer too many  people I have known I have lost or are survivors  to cancers of various sorts. I thought stay where you are and keep going because the group I am fundraising with all have lost someone or are survivors and just want the research to continue into all types of cancer. They would love to see one day that cancer in all forms is curable for everyone. 
Never imagined when I started attending the different fundraising functions that I would be the recipient of the research and progress made so far and the support systems that are in place.
the team at Helping Hands  have been great they don't  ask questions about whats happening, they know from experience what I went through before and am going through now and  just like BCNA, whether you join in or not is up to you and no one judges and there is no pressure every little bit counts no matter how big or small.

So its back to selling raffle tickets, getting sponsors, and donations for prizes or making them our self   and encouraging people to attend fundraising events.  Most of the events we do are filled with fun & laughter and delivered with the note of seriousness as we get them to dig into their wallets.

This is my way I can keep giving back well after I have beaten this thing.  Its not for everyone to get involved this way but I feel better in myself by focusing on something positive. And when I don't have much energy I can always create something to sell on our stalls or do prepping towards an event. Its amazing how much work goes on in the background. 

Comments

• Cosette
    Cosette Member Posts: 637
    Options
    Your efforts are much appreciated, @cranky granny. Many cancer organisations are non-profits and fundraising is essential. Sometimes people mistakenly believe we're government-funded, but we're not. Less than 20% of BCNA's funding comes from government. The rest comes from the community. Our information and support kits, our publications and resources, our member services, the online network, the telephone counselling service, our research and advocacy - none of this would be possible without the generous support of our partners, volunteers, members, and other supporters. Some people trek across the globe to raise $3000. Some people hold a morning tea with friends to raise a $300. Some people send us $5-notes in the post (sometimes that's all they can afford to give and these are always so moving!). People drop their spare change in our tins at Bakers Delight. Every little bit helps! 
  • cranky_granny
    cranky_granny Member Posts: 702
    Options
     I drop the change into the Bakers delight tins when I indulge myself in my treats  I like the tins at shops 

• Ann-Marie
    Ann-Marie Member Posts: 1,142
    edited February 2017
    Options
    @cranky granny me too  :)