So far, so good

Options
Deanne
Deanne Member Posts: 2,163
When I saw my oncologist for the first time 3 and a half years ago, I had just had a mastectomy and partial lymph node removal. The pathology was not the best and she informed me that I had a 67% chance of recurrence within 10 years. Treatment (chemo, radio and hormone therapy) reduced this thank goodness.

Today's 6 monthly check up was much cheerier. All good and she is amazed and supportive that I am now doing weight lifting to combat the bone density issue from Femara. She has been a terrific support to the physical challenges I have taken on since treatment.

Two years ago when I asked her if it would be ok to go trekking in Nepal, she was all for it. Not only that but she had actually just been there with her husband herself. So this gave me the confidence to take on the challenge of trekking to Everest Base Camp to raise money for the Cancer Council.

Well all did not go quite to plan with the 2015 earthquake occurring while we were mid flight to Kathmandu. Last year we were all set again and the leader of our trek, a breast cancer survivor herself, was diagnosed with a devastating facial tumor (not bc related) just two weeks before we were to go.

At her insistance the trek went ahead and we made it all the way to Base Camp but with mixed feelings as you can imagine.

Fast forward another year and she has come through treatment and is about to lead her first trek back to Everest Base Camp in April. I am very, very fortunate to be going along too with this very inspiring lady. This year, I hope, we will finally achieve getting there together and celebrating our health after the cancer hurdles we have had. 

None of us us know what the future has in store but we can choose to reclaim our lives and not let that cancer cloud block the sun from shining today. Today I am well and fit. Life is for living not worrying about what may or may not happen tomorrow. Make the most of every minute.

Comments

• Hopes_and_Dreams
    Hopes_and_Dreams Member Posts: 760
    Options
    Thank you for such a inspirational and positive post Deanne. Great result for your 6 monthly check, so pleased for you. You are so right - it does sometimes take a conscious effort to focus on the here and now. I'm sure we all have so many blessings in our lives. Sometimes it's easier said than done but if we let cancer take over our minds too it's just another little win for Cancer!  Take care, Jane xx

• Michelle_R
    Michelle_R Member Posts: 901
    Options
    Every best wish for your trek in April, Deanne - take more amazing photos, especially when you and Sharon reach Base Camp!  You will know exactly what to expect this year, and I am sure you have never been fitter in your life!  We certainly can choose to reclaim our life and live it to the full.  Whilst you are climbing mountains, we will be in Japan for cherry blossom time - another tick off the to-do list!  Keep that wonderful strength and spirit going!  Michelle xx
  • Afraser
    Afraser Member Posts: 4,373
    Options
    There is a big incentive to make the most of our time. We never really knew how much we had, we just assumed it would always replenish in some magical way. Cancer is a sharp reminder that time may be shorter than we think or want. So is growing older! It took one to get me to better terms about the other. I like work but I'm more selective about what I do. I love to travel so Spain is calling. Haven't got the knees for Everest but that's a fantastic plan for you both! Best wishes
  • socoda
    socoda Member Posts: 1,767
    Options
    Deanne, how exciting and certainly something to look forward to!! If I was a Sound of Music fan I'd start singing "Climb Every Mountain!!".

I love how you say make the most of every minute -  and then you certainly do!! Awesome!! Xx Cath
  • iserbrown
    iserbrown Member Posts: 5,552
    Options
    Deanne wishing you well with your upcoming goal!   Goals of any magnitude, big or small are all helpful in our new normal life!  Take care and be kind to those knees!
  • socoda
    socoda Member Posts: 1,767
    Options
    @Deanne 1320m so far this week  :o - thats awesome! The views would be spectacular and what a sense of achievement you are again going to have trekking in Nepal (certainly not discounting Mt Coolum either). You must feel totally invincible. So fantastic. Yes fear can be so totally debilitating or totally empowering. So glad that you decided that it was a factor to be overcome. You are very inspiring. XX Cath
  • Deanne
    edited February 2017
    Options
    Thank-you Cath. I don't feel invincible but it does feel reassuring to know that my body is capable of this after treatment and I believe it helps with the side effects of Femara too. The more I walk up hills the less things seem to hurt!

Trekking in the mountains of Nepal is a truly amazing experience. You feel very small and insignificant in this ancient landscape! The people and the Buddhist culture are so peaceful and welcoming. The 'teahouses' where we stay are mostly family run and at night you sit around the fire with the family and are treated so warmly. It will be wonderful to see many of them again. It has opened up a whole new world for me and I can see myself returning again and again but probably not to Everest Base Camp after this time! I think there is a lot to admire in the Buddhist beliefs and the way they treat others.

A lot of things had to happen for these treks to come my way. But I believe it was the right thing for me and has really helped me to find a way forward. So lucky really!  :)
  • rowdy
    rowdy Member Posts: 1,165
    Options
    Wow that is d\fantastic Deanne, you go girlx
  • Deanne
    Options
    Mt Everest is the second peak from the left in the photo above. Those tiny yellow tents are part of Base Camp.
  • melclarity
    melclarity Member Posts: 3,502
    Options
    Deanne! That was an amazing read!!! Thank you!!!! it is so true...we cannot worry about tomorrow or what may happen but embrace and live today to the fullest all of our dreams. Wonderful! Hugs Melinda xo
  • mum2jj
    mum2jj Member Posts: 4,330
    Options
    Thankyou Deanne for reminding me to cherish every day and challenge myself. I am really struggling with hip and knee pain but still make myself try and get out there and do my 10000 steps each day (a real challenge in the tropical heat at the moment). I am so happy to hear you are finally getting to do the trip with Sharon. What an inspiration she is, and you too!! You go girl. 
    Paula xxxx
  • Deanne
    Options
    Yes @mum2jj, Sharon is so determined. I cannot believe how quickly she has regained her strength and fitness. It is going to be a very emotional but inspiring time. 

I have a terrific osteopath who works magic every time I have an injury. I actually need to see her again at the moment to get my neck and shoulders worked on. I plan on seeing her just before the trek to get everything put in place! She is a very positive person too, so helps to keep me believing I can do these things!

I can only imagine the heat up there, it is hot enough here! But I just think of it like Hot Yoga. All that sweating out the toxins! I am lucky that I am an early riser. Dragged my hubby out of bed at 4.30 last Sunday to do our hike in the hinterland before it got too hot. But yes that tropical heat is a whole different thing to cope with. Sharon actually chooses to train outdoors in the heat, must be that Cairns influence! Probably her secret to how she gets so fit so quickly!

Hope your hip and knee improve for you, Paula. Have you tried turmeric? I am finding it seems to be helping my joints stay happier. xxx
  • kayvie
    kayvie Member Posts: 157
    Options
    Wow Deanne what an inspiration you are! You make the most of each day and seize every opportunity! It's great you have found that inner drive to take you to new heights (pardon the pun).
    You remind me to be grateful for each day and to live in the moment and make me determined to get my 10000 steps each day no matter what. Thanks for sharing  :)
  • brightspace
    brightspace Member Posts: 445
    Options
    Thankyou for your inspiration WOW wonderclimb girl all the best keep on trecking