New hobbies

The user and all related content has been deleted.

Comments

• SoldierCrab
    SoldierCrab Member Posts: 3,445
    I learnt meditation to help me relax. when I went to encore after treatment one session we did colouring in to help us learn to relax also it was good. 
  • Amazonia
    Amazonia Member Posts: 40
    Hi Joannie and welcome, unfortunately,
    It feels like a lifetime when faced with a projected time frame like 12 or 18 months, doesn't it, but it does whittle away if you can surrender to the present and rack up 1 da, 1 treatment, 1 procedure at a time.
    I'm now approaching the end of 6 months of chemo and I swear, at first I thought it would be endless but it has swum along.
    My instinct was to take time off and it proved right. I had a rough time with first chemo and feel the time to just keep healing and get well has been well spent.
    A long leisurely walk, every day works wonders if possible and I do origami and have set a knitting project, extra long burgundy wool jumper with online order from Bendigo wool mills. back and half of front done so far..might even get there before winter..
    i find it meditative. 
    Next is surgery and reconstruction. Am hoping to be feeling normal in 3 or 4 months.
    Best of luck with the first step and each and every one after that.
    A.
  • AllyJay
    AllyJay Member Posts: 943
    Hi there Joannie...I'm a knitter. Very soothing and relaxing for me as it is hard for your mind to wander off into dark places when you're following a pattern. Even with plain knitting, counting the stitches as you go, keeps things in focus. Very good for when I can't concentrate on reading, especially in the wee hours.

• Zoffiel
    Zoffiel Member Posts: 3,372
    Having accepted that this whole performance is going to take at least 12 months, I've been trying to work through a list of crappy tasks I have been avoiding. That might not sound much fun but you'd be surprised at how satisfying a clean store room can be. Ditto a decluttered filing cabinet. The cupboard under the laundry sink is civilised! Yeah, I'm sort of joking, but my point is treatment time can be an opportunity to sort some stuff out. Quite a job when you are as spectacularly adverse to all things domestic as I am. 

I have also finished painting all the fiddly bits around the windows at the back of the house, and the garden looks as good as can be expected in this weather. I've just put my new computer desk together which is made out of my house's original 1920s dunny door. Looks fantastic but I will be on here this afternoon bleating for support after the trauma of trying to set up a brand new computer, printer, monitor and webcam. Strange and cruel punishment, but it will all be sooo shiny and nice. And it may encourage me to find some work I can do from home. 
  • rowdy
    rowdy Member Posts: 1,165
    Hi and welcome sorry you are here to join our club, visit often as plenty of us here at different stages. I hear you I can never call this a journey, it has always been my shitty trip. I'm heading off to have my mammagram tomorrow, I will be 3 years this month. Yes it is a long trip but it is doable, keep a notepad to write any questions down to take with you to your doc viisits. I tried to work during chemo but didn't last to long you will know yourself listen to your body.
    Good luck we are here for you we all understand, sending you a hug xxx

• socoda
    socoda Member Posts: 1,767
    Hi @Joannie, Welcome. I didn't take up any unusual hobbies. I was given a colouring in book which I found to be brilliant (used to do posters called doodle arts a million years ago) and I found the colouring in particularly good for when my concentration was lacking. I also had on hand a latch hook rug kit, knitting, and worked my way through some fantastic books, oh and computer games. What are you currently entertaining yourself with? Let us know how your going. All the best. Xx Cath
  • iserbrown
    iserbrown Member Posts: 5,552
    Hi!  Journey, adventure, trip, treatment, BC; add a swear word in front of these few select names as it is part of accepting and dealing with what it is!   We can become all consumed by BC and hence need some control as we long for our normal again.  Walking or just sitting out on the verandah and enjoying the fresh air certainly help me.  I have a few unfinished craft tasks that I am slowly working through as well as the cupboards that have needed attention since goodness knows when!   I also keep myself busy with tasks for CWA and my other voluntary work.
    Be kind to yourself, listen to your body and you will get there. 
    http://onlinenetwork.bcna.org.au/discussion/14979/creative-corner/p1

Take care
  • The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • wendy_h67
    wendy_h67 Member, Dragonfly Posts: 466
    Hi Joanne,  I took up making hand made greeting cards for birthdays, thank you cards and even Christmas cards. My daughter talked me into going to some classes with her and now I find it relaxing . I think it is nice to receive a hand made card.  I also had a go at making a small quilt which I found the instructions in a magazine.  It was titled quick and easy quilt to make. I found it a bit of a challenge but I made it in my favorite colours of blues and greens and although it is not perfect,  l am quite proud of it.  Wishing you all the best in your treatment. 
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 0
    edited February 2017
    The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • Karenhappyquilter
    Karenhappyquilter Member Posts: 242
    I was a quilter so I quilted.  Not very well but it kept me as sane as I was going to be.  Very simple wall hangings mainly, so not mentally challenging.  I also found jig saws really good.  My brain often didn't work, and doing a jig saw passed some time and was a distraction.  I also knitted very simple things which I now don't know what to do with!  I also did some de cluttering like some other ladies, quite therapeutic.  

wishing you the very best luck, I agree with others, chemo feels endless but it ends which is wonderful.  Karen 
  • nikkid
    nikkid Member Posts: 1,766
    I taught myself how to knit a chunky throw blanket.....and then a chunky knit cushion and then another. My husband asked softly whether or not everything would soon be a chunky knit....so now I've moved on to painting the garden fences, planing pots and espaliering a camellia (whilst also teaching myself that yes I CAN walk and RUN around the river without it killing me :)