Friday Update

Options
Ann-Marie
Ann-Marie Member Posts: 1,142
edited February 2017 in Community news and events

Please welcome @kuta, @joolsmundy, @mei, @goldie, @holygrail, @lillian67, @vickiddo, @pippin, @ren153 and all our new members to the online network. Welcome back @LillianR, @koco, @Kym Berchtenbreiter.

Community highlights

A common topic discussed this week in the online network has been tests,treatments and side effects. We have had members discuss going into surgery, side effects of medication and chemotherapy.

@Unicornkisses' post "just starting chemo at the end of the month" highlights just how important the online network is in providing members with a first hand experience of what to expect. Thank you again to everyone who contributes and provides support.

For all our new members, here are some community conversation you may like to get involved in:

Attention Melbourne online network members!

BCNA is looking for people willing to share their supportive breast cancer stories. You must be located in Melbourne and able to participate in a photoshoot on the 9th & 10th February. We are looking for:

• Husband/partner of someone diagnosed with breast cancer
  • A friend of someone who is diagnosed with breast cancer
  • Young person/child of someone who is diagnosed with breast cancer &
  • If you have a message of what it's like to have breast cancer, we want to hear from you.
Please get in touch with either myself @Ann-Marie_BCNA or @Essie_BCNA for more information!

News & events

Read BCNA's
submission
 to the Pharmaceutical Benefits Advisory Committee (PBAC) in
support of the new breast cancer drug Palbociclib (Ibrance) being considered for inclusion on the PBS.

BCNA
is running an online survey to find out if people with breast cancer living in
rural & remote areas make different treatment decisions from those living
in metro areas, and if so, why? The survey takes about 40 minutes. Share your experience and help us to get a clear understanding of the decisions people are making and why!

BRECONDA
breast reconstruction decision aid is LIVE.

Read cancernetwork's latest analysis on how anxiety is common among partners of young breast cancer
survivor’s.

A truly global event taking place every year on 4th February,
World Cancer Day unites the world’s population in the fight against cancer.

The weekend is almost here, what will you be getting up to?
Ann-Marie xx

Comments

• Brenda5
    Brenda5 Member Posts: 2,423
    edited February 2017
    Options
    Wow what a jam packed post! I better comment before I go clicking off on all the links and forget the original post, as ya do. This weekend, hmmm its market morning in a neighbouring town. We might go and have a sticky beak but it is going to be very hot and dry so I better put my umbrella and hats in my bag. I had better give all my 16 fish tanks a water change and tidy up too so my fish still love me. I love weekends, no doctors appointments. What not to like about that? :)
    While I am doing a to do on weekend list, I am writing down here to clip the poor hot old dogs coat too.
  • iserbrown
    iserbrown Member Posts: 5,552
    Options
    Great update as always and very thought provoking as tomorrow is World Cancer Day!  A moment of reflection will be on my mind tomorrow. 

Today has been interesting for me in that from a community point of view we met with a Victorian Politician at Parliament House in Spring Street, Melbourne.  When we had finished our serious talking she took us on a show and tell, goodness it is wonderful to see these old buildings are preserved from another era - fascinating to see - copy and paste excerpt from Parliament of Victoria:

"...Eagles are perched on the arches at each end of the Chamber. It is believed that these eagles represent the House of Hanover. Queen Victoria was of Hanoverian heritage and was married to a member of the Legislative Council Information Sheet Number 21 Chamber Architectural Features and Furniture German Royal Family; therefore, the Eagles could be a reference to both the Royal House of Hanover and House of Saxony...."

All in the day of a volunteer, lobbying as hard as we can at political level. 

Have a lovely weekend.  Take care xx
  • brightspace
    brightspace Member Posts: 445
    Options
    Great updates many thanks for hard work
    Off to yum cha with my 87 yr old mum maybe beach walk
    To all Enjoy family friends and spirt ot togetherness  and quiet times as you wish  ;)
  • melclarity
    melclarity Member Posts: 3,502
    Options
    Thanks Ann-marie always great reading the weekly update and whats happening and especially on the Forum. Welcome to all the newbies!!! You're in such great company with these wonderful ladies!!! Just awesome!!! Supportive and so incredibly informative with personal experiences. Melinda xo