Vitamin D

Options
sandycee
sandycee Member Posts: 147
edited November 2011 in General discussion

Does anyone else know that their Vitamin D is down on "normal" I don't know what is "normal".

However it is something that a friend of mine suggested (also a breast cancer survivor) that I increase my intake of it.

She said that she had talked to other breast cancer survivors and they all had low Vitamin D intakes.

Is there a link with this and breast cancer? or Cancer in general - does anyone know this?

Comments

• rose360
    rose360 Member Posts: 23
    edited March 2015
    Options

My Doctor checked my Vitamin D levels a few weeks ago when I had routine blood tests. I am pretty sure it only came about because I was complaining of aching bones post chemo earlier this year. She was wondering whether I should take a calcium supplement and Vit D aids in absorption of calcium. Said my levels were fine

• Leonie Moore
    Leonie Moore Member Posts: 1,470
    edited March 2015
    Options

We should get enough Vit D here but it is interesting that it is needed for the absorption of calcium.  Thanks for that info. XLeonie

• w_w_w_dette
    w_w_w_dette Member Posts: 156
    edited March 2015
    Options

I had my vitamin D level checked in February as part of my yearly full checks - also has a very important link with osteoporosis. My doctor said it was the best reading he had seen. This was only 5 weeks before my diagnosis so I may yet again be the exception!!!

May also give some credence to the strength of the Tassie sun!!!

Get that vitamin D everyone but take care as well.

Dette xxxxx

• rose360
    edited March 2015
    Options

Getting out in the sun and absorbing some Vit D through the skin-as well as being good for calcium absorption is also beneficial for low moods/ depression. Reading somewhere the other day that 10-15 minutes 2 times a week will give us good levels. Maybe people undergoing cancer treatment stay indoors for long periods and that is why as a group we may have low levels?

• rose360
    edited March 2015
    Options

Getting out in the sun and absorbing some Vit D through the skin-as well as being good for calcium absorption is also beneficial for low moods/ depression. Reading somewhere the other day that 10-15 minutes 2 times a week will give us good levels. Maybe people undergoing cancer treatment stay indoors for long periods and that is why as a group we may have low levels?

• Bardoe
    Bardoe Member Posts: 57
    edited March 2015
    Options

Hi Sandycee

I think there is a link between vit d and cancer, as vit d levels are linked to your immune system - which is your daily proctector, so if your immunity is low  for long periods of time this may allow cancer in the door.

When they blood test for vit d,  the result  if returned between 60-150 is "normal" and expected range and reported as OK, 

therefore < 60 not good.  my tests when i was diagnosed where borderline @ 60.

I believe that the preceeding 6 mths, when my father passed away from stroke and my work stress was very high, impacted on my vit D,  I did not get out into the sun at lunchtime and was not taking any supplements, allowed my tumour to increase significantly,  in July nothing in a breast check, in December 4 cm "lump",  on saying that, cancer cells where in my system before that, but not detectable, but they got a chance to run wild it seems during that diffucult 6 mths.

I have been taking Vit D daily since and getting sun when ever i can, but it takes time to build up your levels,  think i should be about 70 now, but aiming to get my system up to 100 or higher as its really the immune system that will get us through and further protect us all after our treatment finishes.

cheers B

• sandycee
    sandycee Member Posts: 147
    edited March 2015
    Options

I have re-started taking my vitamin d caps and trying to get out in the sun. When I think of it - the last few years have been indoors more often than not. All the hype about skin cancer - slip/slop/slap makes one aware of covering up when out doors.

Lack of vitamin d is more wide-spread than Oz, seems to be world wide. Ahh, to this global warming :p

thanks for the info girls, I will certainly make the effort to get more sunsihne and increase my vitamin d intake.

Sandy :)

• hb
    hb Member Posts: 112
    edited March 2015
    Options

my gp has tested my vit d levels for a couple of years now & my levels have always been good. so no link in my case...

• Tanya
    Tanya Member Posts: 380
    edited March 2015
    Options

There is loads of talk in breast cancer circles that an increase of
    Vitamin D reduced the risk of breast cancer.  My oncologist is a strong believer in me taking Vitamin D supplements.  Obviously the best form of Vitamin D is from the sun. 

There are some studies that suggest that Vitamin D stimulates growth of a protein that inhibits breast cancer cells.

As mentioned is also aids in the absorption of calcium so its a win win.

Tanya xx

• Tanya
    Tanya Member Posts: 380
    edited March 2015
    Options

There is loads of talk in breast cancer circles that an increase of
    Vitamin D reduced the risk of breast cancer.  My oncologist is a strong believer in me taking Vitamin D supplements.  Obviously the best form of Vitamin D is from the sun. 

There are some studies that suggest that Vitamin D stimulates growth of a protein that inhibits breast cancer cells.

As mentioned is also aids in the absorption of calcium so its a win win.

Tanya xx

• TonyaM
    TonyaM Member Posts: 2,836
    edited March 2015
    Options

My vit D levels were low so I am taking a supplement.It is a very important vitamin for your immune system- they have recently discovered this.Lots of research is being done with the link to breast cancer.Every woman I have spoken to had prolonged stress leading up to their breast cancer diagnosis. This was true for me twice.

Tonya xx

• Julia44
    Julia44 Member Posts: 361
    edited March 2015
    Options

Hello,

this is of great interest to me as just over a week ago when I had my bloods before my first chemo, my oncologist said that my D was very low- she said 23 when it should have been around 70 she said, so she has got me on 3 1000mg tablets per day.  the box says -for "normal" people take 1 per day!

She also said almost under her breath that there has been some recent talk that low D may be something that lets cancer take hold.

I have another test in about 2 weeks so will see then what effect this has had.  Also reading about stress,  like many of us, I have had a big stressout in the last 2 years where my mother died of bowel cancer(only 3 months after diagnosis).  She refused treatment, so I found it all very hard.

Love to you all,  Julia

• Julia44
    Julia44 Member Posts: 361
    edited March 2015
    Options

Hello,

this is of great interest to me as just over a week ago when I had my bloods before my first chemo, my oncologist said that my D was very low- she said 23 when it should have been around 70 she said, so she has got me on 3 1000mg tablets per day.  the box says -for "normal" people take 1 per day!

She also said almost under her breath that there has been some recent talk that low D may be something that lets cancer take hold.

I have another test in about 2 weeks so will see then what effect this has had.  Also reading about stress,  like many of us, I have had a big stressout in the last 2 years where my mother died of bowel cancer(only 3 months after diagnosis).  She refused treatment, so I found it all very hard.

Love to you all,  Julia

• rose360
    edited March 2015
    Options

Thanks you ladies-this has been a great discussion and gaining heaps of great information. Even though my Vit D levels ok now- thinking back I had stopped getting out into garden and  walking as much as I used to in the 6 months prior to diagnoses--just maybe some link.....+ stress at work.

Cheers-hope you all have a great day

Wendy

• kay
    kay Member Posts: 73
    edited March 2015
    Options

That's what my Dr. in Rocky told me Leonie, but mine was very low before I was diagnosed. I should be still taking them and getting a blood test done. My naturopath said we need Vitamin D for cancer, and a lot of things. I'll have to get my notes out and have a look. I hope you are feeling a lot better now.I need to come down to Rocky for some more tests soon. I saw my radiologist on Thursday and things were fine but still need an ultrasound.

Kay