Lump found 1 month ago now removal of breast

Options
yollydolly
yollydolly Member Posts: 5
edited January 2017 in Newly diagnosed
I thought to be honest it was a cyst,,, then during the biopsy the head nurse said 'no take 2 more samples'
Now i am up for a body scan to check and see if there are other spots on my lower back.....
Trying to take it all in..there are 3 things that are great on me....boobs/curly long hair/personality.
the last one is fading a bit . i own my own small hairdressing salon so i am worried about the business..no income.
the doctors said chemo as well 
Argghhhhh what a mindfield my mum has ages 10 years....
Tagged:

Comments

• Nadi
    Nadi Member Posts: 619
    Options
    So sorry yollydolly that you find yourself here. What an awful shock it is to get a diagnosis. Curly hair will come back. Your personality may go into hiding for a bit, but it too will return. As for your  boob, there are many options to consider. Many women work during chemo so I will keep my fingers crossed that that works out for you as well. Come on here anytime you want to vent.

Nadine
  • primek
    primek Member Posts: 5,392
    Options
    I'm sorry you have had to join this group. It's such a shock in the beginning. It's possible to have your reconstruction done or at least started at time of first surgery. You may need follow up adjustments but it doesn't mean you will no longer be curvy.

Some women are able to work during chemo maybe not the 1st week but weeks 3 and 4. It just depends. I was able to access my life insurance under a trauma claim which really helped me. If no income you would be entitled to sickness benefits or at least newstart allowance, which is better than nothing.

Yep...the hairloss is hard going, I rocked the scarf and hats but there are some good wigs and some fun wigs which should get you through.

We are here to help with what we can. And yes its so hard on those that love us. Take care. Kath x
  • Pammy46
    Pammy46 Member Posts: 162
    Options
    I'm so sorry  you are here 
    we are all here to support you.. 
    The waiting for tests , scans etc are the worst 
    i wish you the best xx
  • Karenhappyquilter
    Karenhappyquilter Member Posts: 242
    Options
    You sound amazing, much more than just boobs and curly hair.  Running a small business takes lots of guts.  

You will look amazing during chemo, believe me bald is not all bad, it's a nice rest from constant hair tending.  Wigs, scarves, hats, beanies, it's quite creative.  

Plus in the future you will be able to empathize and help all the women who come to your hairdressing salon with breast cancer.  My hairdresser has been a good support for me over chemo, from giving me a number 3 for free, to advising me what to do as my hair grew back, and just checking in me from time to time.  There is so much kindness out there.  

You will come out of this with a great personality, new hair, different boobs and a strength you didn't realize you had.   It's a terrible shock I know.  You will adjust.  It will take some time.  Wishing you the very best.  Karen 
  • Unicornkisses
    Unicornkisses Member Posts: 402
    Options
    I too have just been diagnosed and am self employed with a small business (dog groomer) which I have run for 17 years. Your good clients will be understanding, compassionate and will come back when you are up and running again. Many of mine are going to a friend while I cannot work but want to work around my down time. You might also be surprised how many have also had BC, some of mine have been really helpful with local suppliers of bras and prosthesis and have even shown me their chests so I know what to expect. The lack of income is frightening and if it is important, you might have to go to Centrelink about it. You might lose a few clients who don't come back, but that happens anyway. I am planning to work on my good days to keep myself busy, but only short hours and clients I know I can do easily. Take care of yourself foremost, healing, and dealing with everything that is to come is the most important thing now. Good luck with your surgery.
  • yollydolly
    Options
    thank you unicorn i apreciate the information and i work with my best mate shes a bossy bitch and will keep me in line hahaha 
  • Brenda5
    Brenda5 Member Posts: 2,423
    Options
    You will be susceptible during chemo to every cold and flu going around. Best you vet your customers or just avoid working for the fortnight after each dose. By the start of the third week you start coming better, just in time for the next dose. If you are past the every membrane and mouth is sore part, sucking an antibacterial Strepsil will protect you. Maybe the customers would like one too? Every one who visited me got a Strepsil at the door lol.
  • socoda
    socoda Member Posts: 1,767
    Options
    Hey Yollydolly, Sorry that you've made it here because of the BC, not sorry that you've made it to this fantastic network. Being self employed do you have income protection? If you have any loans with the banks check on those too as a lot will insist on income protection when you have your own business. As for the boobs - I thought mine were reasonable - could still pass the pencil test  ;) but after my mastectomy with implant reconstruction I have now entered the realm of SUPER BOOB!!!!! Bigger, stronger, perkier - able to leap .... ok maybe not quite that super! BUT sensational all the same. As for your personality - it may be taking a bit of a hit at the moment. When you have had your surgery and commenced whatever treatment plan, your personality will bounce back full tilt - it is what is going to get you through this!!!! And you will get through this. To have your own business you have to be strong and determined - to go through treatment you have to be strong and determined!!! As for your mum aging 10 years - don't I know that one. It's unbelievable the toll that this takes on our loved ones and you can watch them age in front of your eyes. They wouldn't want it any other way though. Let us know how you're getting on and when your surgery date is. Wishing you all the best. Xx Cath 
  • yollydolly
    Options
    Thanks so much Cath.. yes its pretty hard on my mum and being single she is  so worried about me.....
    Ill defintely let you know when the surgery is happening 
    cheers and thanks <3
  • melclarity
    melclarity Member Posts: 3,502
    Options
    Yollydolly!!! Welcome, certainly not alot more I can add after these wonderful ladies have already shared! I just wanted to say, you'll learn things about yourself you never really knew. I had long blonde hair and I never fussed over it, was just lucky I guess, but was amazed how much I adapted to BALD!!! LOL had so many benefits I can tell you! 1yr on it came back super curly, but now its long enough I can straighten and I finally am looking like the new ME out the other side. With Chemo, youve got some great advice, and just know its super doable, and you wont know until you have your treatment plan and start as to how you will be. Putting some plans in place now is a great idea and then see how things go and adjust as you go if need to! Theres a wealth of love and support here, and there is nothing you could say that all of us ladies havent felt or thought through this journey. We are here and we are with you, helping anyway we can to support!! Big Hugs Melinda :) 
  • Jess_BCNA
    Jess_BCNA Member Posts: 475
    edited January 2017
    Options
    Hello Yollydolly, I just wanted to jump in to say hello and to welcome you to the Online Network. If you need any help making your way around the Online Network to please just let me know.  When  you can, you might like to have a look at The My Journey Kit, a free resource that contains information, a journal, and other helpful resources for women and men recently diagnosed with early breast cancer. If you did think this might be of some help and would like to have a look, you can order it online here. If you need any help online, connecting with other members or finding support, please just get in touch.
  • yollydolly
    Options
    Hey everyone i had found out i am having a masectomy on my right breast possibly followed by radiation, the chemo...
    on the 15th Feb.
    I would like this year to be over thanks  LOL
    i have great friends and family here in Echuca for back up so i shall be fine..
  • primek
    primek Member Posts: 5,392
    Options
    Glad you have a date. Long road ahead for you. We are here for when you need us.
  • socoda
    socoda Member Posts: 1,767
    Options
    Hey Yollydolly, so happy for you that you have a starting line!! I know that your business is going to be a godsend over the next couple of weeks because at least when you are at work, hopefully, some of that time you will be able to keep your mind off your impending surgery. Time really does seem to slow down when you are waiting. So wishing you all the best, and a super speedy couple of weeks. Xx 
  • Butterfly 40
    Butterfly 40 Member Posts: 150
    Options
    Hi Yollydolly,
    Thank you for sharing your experience with us.  We are all here looking for support and support each other to get through this roller coaster. 

I was diagnosed with BC just over a month ago and had lumpectomy, but unfortunately I need mastectomy. I am waiting to see a plastic surgeon now. 

Wishing you the best for the surgery and recovery!

Lots of love and hugs for you!