Sleepless

Options
Need some tips on sleepless nights before any procedure. The brain won't shut up. On what I have to do. And what I had planned prior. 

Comments

• rowdy
    rowdy Member Posts: 1,165
    Options
    Hi welcome to the site, I remember  those night, I would get up and have a glass of warm milk. Sometimes this worked, I always found it was hard to turn off my thoughts at night, I'm nearly 3 years on and I still have these nights. Take care  xx
  • cranky_granny
    cranky_granny Member Posts: 703
    Options
    I ended up going to sleep but up again at 6am  but todays a new day
  • Ann-Marie
    Ann-Marie Member Posts: 1,142
    Options
    Hi @cranky granny you may find some information in our Sleepless nights fact sheet.
  • nikkid
    nikkid Member Posts: 1,766
    Options
    We all have had sleepless nights thinking about our impending procedures...so I tried to practice some mindfulness...meditation, restfulness....and only focussing on the day to day (not getting too far ahead, because that would overwhelm me). The Smiling Mind App is a great way to start...takes you through the steps and you feel very refreshed afterwards. In the end, I used these skills when having the scintography and then before going into theatre - I felt so much calmer. :)
  • primek
    primek Member Posts: 5,392
    Options
    If my mind is racing I end up turning on the light and reading for a while and try to empty my head. The other thing as mentioned is relaxation ideas. There is a technique for breathing called 478. I used it when stressed. Link below hopefully explains it.

http://www.drweil.com/videos-features/videos/the-4-7-8-breath-health-benefits-demonstration/

It's a difficult time. Know that it does get better. Hope everything goes well with surgery. Know we are here to listen.
    Kath x
  • socoda
    socoda Member Posts: 1,767
    Options
    Hey Cranky Granny, I have an app on my mobile phone called rain sounds. Its all different rain sounds and you can set it to turn off automatically. I find it very soothing - doesn't guarantee that I'll stay asleep though :s but some sleep is better than none!! Xx
  • cranky_granny
    cranky_granny Member Posts: 703
    Options
    Thanks every one, It is definitely worry over whats to come etc 
    the marker went in with a struggle, I'm a bit grisly at the centre of the cancer so what should of been straight forward to a bit of extra time at least I shouldn't get the bruising that came with the biopsy. I hope its not a sign of things to come.
    I am going to make use of the suggestions to shut the brain up.  and make my way through the different suggestions till I find the something that works. 

• SoldierCrab
    SoldierCrab Member Posts: 3,445
    Options
    I have an App called White noise it is free ,,,, IT HAS heaps of different sounds I have blended some of them they help me to turn on the thoughts in my head and sleep.  WHITE NOSE by TMSOFT 

• iserbrown
    iserbrown Member Posts: 5,552
    Options
    Oh, I smiled when I saw the post name Sleepless as my mind went to the movie Sleepless in Seattle!  For me personally ovaltine light break at night and I put the radio on and drift to sleep.  I've always been a good sleeper so my sleeping pattern was only marginally interrupted when the diagnosis came along.  Now I'm comfortable in where I am at with treatment but like most have the thought of recurrence play on you when you hear of someone else in that predicament.

In Sleepless in Seattle she couldn't sleep and she used to listen to the radio