Vitamin D and link to Breast Cancer

Options
Rosep
Rosep Member Posts: 2
edited February 2018 in Health and wellbeing
Hi everyone, I was diagnosed with early stage breast cancer this year.  I have only recently finished my radiation treatment and am now on Tomoxifen for 5 years. In the last month, it was noted that my Vitamin D level was on the low side.  Yesterday I happened to visit a musculoskeletal doctor about a muscular issue, who happened to tell me about an inconclusive  study that shows low vitamin D and its connection to a heightened risk of breast cancer re-occurrence.  You can imagine my horror when I heard that.  Has anyone else come across this?

Tagged:

Comments

• Deanne
    Deanne Member Posts: 2,163
    Options
    Yes, I have been told that and had my Vit D level checked. It was ok. I have a theory that most of us would be lacking Vit D after treatment as we probably have less sun exposure due to side effects. Also I was told to avoid the sun while on Chemo. I think once we return to normal activity levels this might improve but it should be checked. My GP was the one who thought to check this for me. Would seem that this should be checked by our doctors as routine but it does not seem to be.
  • Pammy46
    Pammy46 Member Posts: 162
    Options
    Yes my doctor told me to have a blood test before surgery to check as she said these are linked mine was fine.
  • iserbrown
    iserbrown Member Posts: 5,552
    Options
    Our bodies become depleted from treatment.  A link to a Vic site on Vitamin D. The site suggests that exercise will help the body's Vitamin D production 

https://www.betterhealth.vic.gov.au/health/healthyliving/vitamin-d

• Janet Plummer
    Janet Plummer Member Posts: 64
    Options
    My oncologist recommended taking vitamin D supplements which I have been doing since my diagnosis four years ago.  Apparently there is a well established link between low vitamin D levels and breast cancer. 
  • Afraser
    Afraser Member Posts: 4,373
    Options
    When I was first diagnosed, my Vitamin D level was rather low and my oncologist insisted on getting it much higher, presumably as chemo can deplete it even further. Slip, slap and slop
    undoubtedly protects against skin cancers but may also contribute to women having lower Vitamin D levels. I exercise more and take supplements to keep my levels up. 
  • primek
    primek Member Posts: 5,392
    Options
    It's a common test and many women now have discovered that they have low Vit D. There  is very limited and inconsistent  studies regarding cancer,  but probably worth ensuring you have a suppliment and nornal levels. I have osteopenia, so I take caltrate plus which has calcium, vitamin D and trace elements.

https://www.cancer.gov/about-cancer/causes-prevention/risk/diet/vitamin-d-fact-sheet
  • ccasper
    ccasper Dragonfly Posts: 190
    Options
    Thanks for this info ladies!!
  • brightspace
    brightspace Member Posts: 445
    Options
    Lots of info out there on  vit D and monitoriing our levels re bone health as well as connection to bc.
    10 minutes of natural exposure to sunlight by 10am is recommended  consult Dr re additional supplemention req 
  • Lisa_BCNA
    Lisa_BCNA Staff Posts: 140
    Options
    Hi Rosep,

It's Lisa from the Policy Team. As you've said, there
    is some research which suggests that having low levels of vitamin D may be associated with an increased risk of breast cancer recurring. The Westmead Breast Cancer Institute in NSW have developed a useful fact sheet called Vitamin D and Breast Cancer, which talks about the role Vitamin D may play in relation to breast cancer, how much vitamin D people generally need, and sources of vitamin D. If you would like to have a look, you can download the fact sheet on their website here. You can also request a hard copy by filling out the order form on their website. 

If you have any questions or want to discuss the issue in more detail, it may be helpful to talk to a member of your treatment team as well.

Cheers,
    Lisa
  • Ne
    Ne Member Posts: 336
    Options
    Yes, my surgeon said they don't normally advise patients on suppliments or which ones to take but she said in futre and for the rest of my life and to reduce breast cancer and or recurrence, I should be taking vitamin D every day.  I have been taking it ever since and so has my daughter who is 18.  My friends that all supported me are also taking their Vitamin D.
  • Rosep
    Rosep Member Posts: 2
    Options
    Thank you to all of you who have commented on my post.  This journey seems to be a never ending quest for learning.

• socoda
    socoda Member Posts: 1,767
    Options
    Rosep sure is a never ending quest for learning and thanks to your post I'm going tobadd Vitamin D to my regime as well!! Cheers!! :smiley: xx 
  • holly1981
    holly1981 Member Posts: 36
    Options
    Hi. There is a lot of information linking vit d deficiency to breast cancer and recurrence. I have been following some studies from overseas as they are way ahead of Australia in the research stakes! Europe in particular has done some very interesting studies supporting this, testing actual tumors taken from women (i.e before treatment so not vit d depleted from the treatments for cancer themselves) and results were quite astounding! Needless to say I take supplements! xxx
  • primek
    primek Member Posts: 5,392
    Options
    Well sadly I was on a suppliment when I got breast  cancer. But making sure I continue it...need it for osteopenia anyway.
  • melclarity
    melclarity Member Posts: 3,502
    Options
    @Rosep

Majority of Breast Cancer Patients do present with Low Vitamin D you are right, however what they don't tell you is...majority of the population in general have low Vitamin D, so its certainly not inclusive at all. Having said that after my recurrence last year of 4yrs cancer free, I was put on Vitamin D then. My level was 37 before Chemo, went down to 29 and 3 months on Vitamin D is 109 which is super high. But go figure even with that result, my bone density is horrible :( I have osteoporosis in my lower lumbar and neck, attributed from Chemo my Oncologist said. 

So I tell people in general, everyone, take Vitamin D, but above that Magnesium is the key with Vitamin C, as Magnesium services over 300 enzymes in the body for regeneration. 

Hugs Melinda xo