My Sister

Options
Imogen
Imogen Member Posts: 3
edited October 2010 in Day to day

Today my sister learnt that she has breast cancer. Thankfully it is operable.

We've already lost a family member to cancer. 

I'm feeling pretty angry with the 'big C' at the moment.

My sister is approaching her diagnosis with a good degree of optimism and has great friends and good support.

I'm feeling relatively confident about the outcome, as is she.

I hope & pray that all will go well for her.

Thankyou for this forum - I am grateful for the support.

Comments

• Tanya
    Tanya Member Posts: 380
    edited March 2015
    Options
    Hi Imogen

It is great that your sister is confident! No doubt she will have her ups and downs.

I too was angry when I was diagnosed, there are always lots of emotions that go with any cancer diagnosis and the next few months are going to be somewhat of a roller coaster for her. Once she has a treatment plan things will become clearer for her.

Wishing you, your sister and all your family good luck. Come here often and feel free to ask anything.

Tanya x
  • Tanya
    Tanya Member Posts: 380
    edited March 2015
    Options
    Hi Imogen

After I posted last night, I began thinking of how much my sister helped me when i was diagnosed, despite living in another town with a small baby of her own.

She was the one that went into organisation mode and organised all my appointments, made the phone calls and took care of my book work (we have a small business). Friends sent flowers and phoned, but with so much going on, it was all the practical things that she did that made the difference.

Sisters are very special, and don't underestimate the impact her diagnosis will have on you. Your sister is in the "drivers seat", and you will feel for her but remember she will need lots of passengers in the car for the journey ahead!

Feel free to come here often and ask away.

Tanya xx
  • Imogen
    edited March 2015
    Options
    Hi Tanya

Thankyou for your thoughts and comments.

It helps to be able to share with people who can relate to my sister's & my experience.

I've spoken with some friends with medical backgrounds re my sister having a stage 1 lump. They've told me this is good news as it means it's early & localised.

She has had a lymph biopsy & gets the results of that tomorrow.

I will travel interstate to be with her when she has her op.

I'll keep in touch. I appreciate your support & I wish you well

Cheers & thankyou
    Imogen
  • Imogen
    edited March 2015
    Options

My sister's lymph biopsy came back negative which is great news!

She has also been assigned a breast care nurse. This is a wonderful concept. My sister will have her support right through. She comes courtesy of the McGrath Foundation.

It's all sounding really good & she is buoyed by all of this which is great.

I am so grateful that so much has been done in terms of research & support in this area.

Imogen