Chemotherapy and Hashimoto's Disease - Autoimmune Thyroiditis

KatieT
KatieT Member Posts: 56
edited December 2016 in Health and wellbeing
When I started chemo my weight was stable and I felt good.  Three months in my weight was still stable,  then on the fifth round of chemo my weight started rising by a kg a month and never stopped.  It's now 18 months since I finished chemotherapy.  The rate of gain has been consistently 1kg per month.  I've been on a calorie controlled restricted diet of 1200 per day throughout most of that time.  It's been frustrating and puzzling me.  Also my hair didn't grow back properly and I have aches and pains in my legs, ongoing chronic fatigue, dry skin, brittle nails, slightly high cholesterol especially as the weight continues to go on, brain fog, tinging in hands and feet, poor circulation etc.  I kept asking my oncologist why I'm gaining weight and why my hair isn't growing.  He had no answers and suggested I go to a hair clinic.

This week last fortnight I went to the GP with depression and concerns about symptoms and because she isn't in the 'thinking about cancer & chemo' rut, she listened to all my symptoms and said she thought I had a thyroid problem.  So then began a series of bloodtests that came back confirming that.  

I don't know if I've had it for a while or whether the stress of cancer treatment triggered an existing tendency or what, but I am very happy to discover that there may be solutions for my problems.  Perhaps the assault on my immune system has worsened an existing autoimmune problem.  I am now on Thyroxin and the doctor thinks my metabolism will start returning to normal in 4-6 weeks and my other symptoms will slowly subside.  I am so stiff and sore and I thought there was nothing to be done about it.  This is the best health news I've had in a very long time. I'm wondering why oncologists don't check thyroid levels because it would be very easy for chemotherapy to mask problems.

Anyway, I'm happy and have prospects now for improvements in my physical state.  I was desperate and hopeless before. 

Comments

• Afraser
    Afraser Member Posts: 4,352
    That's excellent news and a timely reminder to think outside the cancer box. Unfortunately cancer treatment doesn't mean that other problems all vanish. Hooray for your persistence and your doctor's smart thinking. Here's hoping you feel really well again very soon.
  • primek
    primek Member Posts: 5,392
    I have Graves disease which is also autoimmune but my thyroid was sky high at time of surgery, and even though they did thyroid bloods nobody even mentioned it. It contributed to me feeling very emotional with poor sleep and it also makes my appetite soar . ..which means I gain weight even though high. It was brought under control by my endocrinologist whilst doing chemo and certainly helped with the emotional side of coping with cancer. Mine is stable presently on thyroid  suppressents. Except for hair loss I pretty much have all your symptoms post chemo (it is only 4 months though) and I put a lot down to femera. I truly hope you will feel better soon and at least  start to get back your zest for life.
  • KatieT
    Wow!  I wish I'd been diagnosed as early as you.  Good luck in your recovery.  At least you'll have a fair go at recovering from the chemo without a mysterious extra confusing the issue.  I feel a little bit cross that I now have 15 kg to lose that were probably never necessary and I've had so much grief over the hair and I'm trying to return to work with my whole body aching and stiff.  It's so hard.  But onwards and upwards at this point.  I've got answers!
  • iserbrown
    iserbrown Member Posts: 5,540
    Hi Katie - ditto - they are my symptoms and Thyroid was only diagnosed during treatment!  I'm glad that it has been found and like you on thyroxine for the rest of my life and the weight gain is a difficulty as the body struggles with all the hidden extras of bc treatments!
    Take care from Christine
  • KatieT
    edited December 2016
    Really?  I wonder how common this disorder is.  Most of the ladies in my bc group and also a few in the oncology waiting rooms I've been in complain about the problems of weight gain.  I wonder how many of them should get tested.

Do you go on any special diet to help manage it?

I've been strictly on 1200 cals and that hasn't worked, so I'm now restricting myself very severely as I refuse to gain one more gram.  I basically haven't eaten anything other than steamed broccoli, cabbage or other leafy vegetables or carrots in over a fortnight.  I am dreading getting on the scales to discover I've gained weight again.  It throws me into such a terrible depression.
  • primek
    I had Graves disease for 6 years and thought I was in remission, it resurfaced prior to chemo though. Hashimotos is quite a common problem with lots of women even with no bc diagnosis.
  • iserbrown
    Goodness knows if it was there prior but it was detected during treatment. Fatigue was dominating so the GP ordered a full set of bloods. In the return visit he said well that is a surprise your thyroid reading is way too high. My weight has only altered down by 4kg but the other medications side effects are weight gain so I am up against it. Diet is good and my other readings reflect that
     It is what it is! 
  • socoda
    socoda Member Posts: 1,767
    Katie, that is wonderful news!! You must feel quite excited :) bet the countdown is on for the four to six weeks. Hoping you feel sensational very very soon. Xx
  • KatieT
    Yes thanks.  I am very happy to have some explanation.  I wished I'd been screened for this prior to chemotherapy.  Every weigh-in was such an anxious experienced and I now know I was doomed from the start.  I was given inappropriate diet advice that was never going to work.  Now that I have more information I can really take this into my own hands, with the support of the my GP, and get where I want to be in terms of health and weight.  I feel more in control.  I think that's important to any of us. 
  • iserbrown
    I find that as long as I  make sure I have a balanced diet the kilos will adjust eventually which is happening slowly. It is the weight gain side effect of the other medications that contribute. Frustrating but with acceptance for me personally it is becoming manageable. I dislike the extra kilos
    Take care 
  • primek
    You might find optifast a much better option @KatieT as it has essential nutrients and you stop feeling hungry. I have been able to lose weight on it. I gained 19kg through my surgery and kg. I was so stressed we agreed they woukd not tell me my weight when I weighed in. It also heloed my nental alertness. I have no idea why but it did...after you got through tbe 1st 4 days. You Dr can monitor your liver functions  as they go up when you start to dramatically lose weight.
  • KatieT
    edited December 2016
    I will take a serious look at it thanks.  At the moment I am scared to eat most things.  I have been eating boiled or steamed green vegetables or carrots for over two weeks.  I am just so anxious about putting on any more weight that some days I don't eat at all.  I take multivitamins.  I know it's not a good thing to do but the thought of any more weight is horrifying.  I know already that a normal healthy diet is out of the question for me because I've tried it.  

I thought that maybe after I lose a little I could reintroduce some foods that are ok.  Maybe the optfast or something like that will work.  Thanks. 
  • primek
    Sorry about all my typos. i gained 19kg through surgery and chemo...it was supposed to read.
  • melclarity
    melclarity Member Posts: 3,502
    @KatieT Gosh!!! thats incredible, I agree, why don't they check it!!!! I wonder if thats my problem!!!! as what you described is ME OMG!!!! and I am beyond frustrated!!! 
  • iserbrown
    It's worth having it checked. Fatigue is a symptom but when you're in the middle of BC treatment thyroid doesn't come into it. My GP ordered full bloods and was just as surprised as I was.
    Take care from Christine