"One-armed" Back Pack

Options

Hi There, I seem to remember some time ago a discussion about suitable back packs to avoid lymphedema on affected side.  Can't find the discussion in the search engine.  Am I imaging things?  Ta

Comments

• socoda
    socoda Member Posts: 1,767
    edited December 2016
    Options
    https://community.breastcancer.org/forum/64/topics/754166  @Wavingnotdrowning there is a discussion between ladies on brestcancer.org Topic: Backpack after Mastectomy and node removal Might be what you were thinking of. Xx
  • Deanne
    Deanne Member Posts: 2,163
    Options
    Hi,
    I do a fair bit of hiking and carry a day pack that weighs about 10kg at times. My back pack is a good quality Deuter pack. It is designed to put most of the weight on your waist/hips. The shoulder straps are well padded and I just make sure it is adjusted to not put much weight or pressure on my surgery side. 

I have a friend who has had 22 lymph nodes removed when diagnosed back in 2007. She has carried much heavier packs than me (again good quality Deuter) with no lymphoedema issues. I think the main thing is to not suddenly put something heavy on and walk for hours. You need to consider what your body is capable of and increase weight and time gradually to avoid overloading and injury.

Hope this info helps. xxx

• WavingNotDrowning
    WavingNotDrowning Member Posts: 48
    Options

Thank you both.  Will put new pack on my Christmas list.  Have only ever had cheapies so now is time for some decent equipment.  Cheers, Helen xx