Recurrence of Breast cancer .... 12 months on

Options
Sandy B
Sandy B Member Posts: 26
edited November 2016 in Newly diagnosed
Hi, 
I have recently been diagnosed with a recurrence of breast cancer, due to have mastectomy this month and I am looking at reconstruction options ...... I believe there are groups dealing with this specific area?
Any advice would be greatly appreciated, thanks
Tagged:

Comments

• Brenda5
    Brenda5 Member Posts: 2,423
    Options
    Sorry to hear you have it back. Your best bet would be to speak with your team on reconstruction options. Perhaps your McGrath nurse would have an up to date idea? Just get yourself better first.
  • Brenda5
    Brenda5 Member Posts: 2,423
    Options
  • Sandy B
    Options
    Many thanks Brenda5 x
  • primek
    primek Member Posts: 5,392
    Options
    Hi Sandy, I went for immediate delayed reconstruction . ..which is removal and tissue expander inserted and then expanded...and then permanent changover done later. My surgeon used a matrix sling and 3/4 filled mine (and ysed teardrop shaped expanders ) so I awoke  with breasts and had no further fills  until after chemo...I live 500k away and he was trying to help me out with that. so I have sibce had a fill and next appt. in 2 weeks to set surgery date. I am delighted with the result thus far. I had a bilateral and reduction and was cut like a breast reduction so once nipples are done (they couldn't save mine  ) the scars should look minimal. If wantibg a flap it can be difficult to do at time of mastectomy....unless you've already had your chemo I believe . ..because if the timibg with removal/ healing/chemo.  Hope this helps.
  • socoda
    socoda Member Posts: 1,767
    Options
    Hi Sandy, I was lucky enough to have a nipple and skin sparing mastectomy with immediate reconstruction using silicon implant. I'm 5 months post surgery and will have fat grafting next year to plump up my new perky. If you have any questions at all the for is such a fantastic place for information and as Brenda wrote there is the reconstruction group and there have been photo galleries established within that group to assist anyone crossing/facing reconstruction. All the best Xx Cath
  • deh
    deh Member Posts: 79
    Options
    Hi Sandy
    Just a few things that helped me
    - range of info (booklets, resources, dvd, My Journey Kit) available via BCNA and Cancer Council websites - Reclaim your Curves site is very helpful, too
    - having list of prepared questions for my surgeon at every consultation ( and getting answers that made sense to me!)
    - weighing up risks and rewards of each recon choice offered to me, making my own decision -  and sticking to it!
    - having realistic picture of recon result I wanted and why I wanted it
    You'll find lots of practical tips and and support through BCNA's network.
    Just ask for whatever you need to make your decision.
    Keep in touch. Di  

• mum2jj
    mum2jj Member Posts: 4,330
    Options
    Hi Sandy,
    I can see the girls have given you great advice.  I have just joined you up to the Choosing breast reconstruction group.  It was after my recurrence and subsequent mastectomy that I started researching my options. I am so sorry you have had a recurrence, I remember well the shock at the time.  It does seem so unfair doesn't it? I am now 5 years post that second diagnosis and still going strong,   I hope you have lots of support around you.  There is always someone online here to offer words of support and encouragement.
    hugs
    Paula xx

• InkPetal
    InkPetal Member Posts: 499
    Options
    Hey, just wanted to say, damn :(  Big e-hug floating your way.
  • Sandy B
    Options
    Many thanks Brenda5 x
  • Sandy B
    Options
    Hi Ladies,
    Thanks so much for your advice and support
    I haven' t shed a tear even when initially diagnosed 12 months ago .... But I have to admit I was teary eyed after reading your beautiful words
  • melclarity
    melclarity Member Posts: 3,502
    Options
    Hi Sandy,

Im in the same boat, recurrence at 4yrs though last year, had another lumpectomy and Chemo. Im 1yr free and have been suggested to now have a Mastectomy due to recurrence. I am wondering whether the options arent as vast as some of these ladies have suggested? due to it being a recurrence? Im not sure as I was told Diep Flap reconstruction, that their opinion would be to lose the entire breast, skin sparing or implant wasnt on the table. Mind you I have the plastic surgeon in a few weeks so I will see what he has to say about it all. I really dont want to do it, but dont feel I have a choice either, petrified and worried about the reconstruction and how I will feel physically and mentally. 
  • rowdy
    rowdy Member Posts: 1,165
    Options
    Hi Sandy that is tough, hang in there. I had mastectomy with immediate reconstruction in 2014. The reconstruction group is good whatever you decide will be right for you. Take care
  • onemargie
    onemargie Member Posts: 1,264
    Options
    Hi sandy Ive had L mastectomy could of had lumpectomy and radiation then chemo but decided to take the whole thing off and am glad I did and I am taking the R off as a preventative at the end of the month. I recovered well from the surgery but haven't considered a reconstruction at this stage. I've been happy enough with the prosthetics. There are many reconstruction options just chat to your surgeon for the best advice but the reconstruction info on here is great too.  Hang in there you will get through it. Hugs.  Margie :)
  • Sandy B
    Options
    Hi onemargie,
    Thanks for your impute, it made me feel a lot better. With my initial diagnosis the surgeon suggested a mastectomy, I thought that was a bit radical at the time due to my ignorance ...... But in hind sight would have been a better choice (hind sight is great?!!) So now I am having mastectomy and asked if I could have immediate reconstruction but this was denied
    (I am having my op through the public hospital system)
    Ignorance prevails again, don't really know my options once I heal
    Have been told I should see a reconstruction surgeon and be guided by him
    Will have to pay for this but that's ok, it is what it is!

Margie what type of sleepwear would you recommend for hospital stay, I've been out this morning trying to buy a suitable button through top ...... Still searching ........

Thanks for your thoughts, Sandy
  • primek
    primek Member Posts: 5,392
    Options
    Big Ts and short stretch pants work  just as well and are comfy.