This community.... <3

Options
ScorpionQueen
ScorpionQueen Member Posts: 768
From my facebook blog

REST, RECOVER, RESTORE.

It's one week today since my last zap of cancer killing rays!! My burns are coming through more now....yep!  it friggin' hurts!... But I am taking care of them and hopefully they will settle quickly without too much drama....

So many women I'm in contact with through various forums and Facebook pages have also come to the end of their active treatment as well this week and last. To all of you I send out a massive cheer and do a little happy dance for you! 

I want to say how important it's been to have contact with other women who have gone through this experience. It has been a wealth of information, respect, encouragement and love. These women are total strangers to me, but we are all linked by a common thread...Breast Cancer.

I never really thought blogs and forums as such would be so helpful, for anything really, but I'm so glad I took the advice of my McGrath Breast Care Nurse and joined up to the BCNA. I have been an active member from the beginning of my experience and have made what I consider, some life long friends, who I hope to meet one day! 

My drawing Pink Troopers Boots now lives in the offices of BCNA! The online community has been my saviour some days and others I am the one offering support and encouragement...Some days I would just read blogs and cry, not knowing what to say....so many women diagnosed....some more unwell than others, each story unique, but sharing a common base....

Sure, I have had an enormous amount of support, encouragement and love from my family members and friends as well, but interacting with women who have and still are dealing with this is very uplifting and calming.....Why calming, you might ask? 

Well, on days when you think you are being a wimp or you just feel like you can't take anymore.....these women reassure you that what you are feeling is completely normal, completely acceptable...they know, they are actually living it too! Their words of support and compassion soothe even the most battered soul.

The hundreds, yes, unfortunately, hundreds of women that use these forums are there for one reason... to learn, acknowledge and support each other. It's not only a place you can vent your worst fears, cry for each other, share your experiences and of course have a good belly laugh too! ..It's a place that has a wealth of information and updates on the latest treatments and such.

While the internet and social media can be damaging and used for not so nice things these days....I often wonder how people coped in the days before the internet.....I imagine it was probably more lonely and isolating....

At times I've felt extremely lonely and isolated during my battle.....even when I've had visitors, I couldn't shake that feeling of being alone.....Having access to other's sharing the same feelings was comforting....I am grateful, as I'm sure others are too, that we now have access to information and these supportive online communities....

So as I heal from my treatments..... I will give thanks that I am here to share my experience....to offer support to others.....that I have an amazing family and friends network...."met" amazing and inspiring women going through the same as me.....Technology has given us the tools to reach out to each other....Like it or not, 
Technology has played an integral part in my healing process.....

Comments

• ccasper
    ccasper Dragonfly Posts: 190
    Options
    So well said! It's supporting each other that helps so much. 

I wish all women were as supportive of each other in everyday life!

strength and love to all you ladies!!
  • rowdy
    rowdy Member Posts: 1,165
    Options
    Hi I also never thought that this online group would not help as much as it has. I feel the strength and support from everyone here there has been days when I have felt so alone even though I have had good support at home. All of us give each other  the understanding that we can't get from our loved ones. Nothing like travelling the same road. Tonight I went to my support group and we all sat there and chatted about things we can't tell others. Wishing everyone a good day tomorrowxx
  • submarine
    submarine Member Posts: 14
    Options
    What a lovely post, thank you xox
  • Ne
    Ne Member Posts: 336
    Options
    Well said x
  • Deanne
    Deanne Member Posts: 2,163
    Options
    Yes! xxx
  • Michelle_R
    Michelle_R Member Posts: 901
    Options
    Another lovely post. xx
  • Karenhappyquilter
    Karenhappyquilter Member Posts: 242
    Options
    Absolutely agree.  It has helped me a lot.  Cancer and its treatment are both scary and lonely.  
  • primek
    primek Member Posts: 5,392
    edited November 2016
    Options
    This site has kept my sanity and being able to pay it forward by supporting new people has also helped me. We all remember the fear of when we are first diagnosed and I am grateful that there were others out there supporting me and sharing their journey. Made me realise ...I am normal. Thankyou Tracy for being one if those inspiring women.
  • Ro10
    Ro10 Member Posts: 59
    Options
    This is a great post. I'm so glad I found a group of like minded people who actually understand what it's like to have breast cancer and go through the treatments. It's amazing how much knowledge you gain along this journey and I agree with @primek it's nice to be able to pay it forward!  ;)
  • adean
    adean Member Posts: 1,036
    Options
    So true I love my gals in my support group , my god the things we talk about should be censored, lol. And I love the online network you can not be on for ages and then just slip back like an old friend. The bcna for all my friends