Throw Yourself a Party

Options
Tracey62
Tracey62 Member Posts: 298
"Every good and perfect gift is from above,
coming down from the Father of heavenly lights, 
who does not change like shifting shadows."      James 1:17

When I heard of my cancer diagnosis I threw myself a party - a pity party! The first guest to arrive was Fear. In his gift  I found the fear of losing my friends and of facing financial pressure and my own mortality. Next to arrive was Doubt. Inside his gift was the doubt of whether I would see my children grow up and whether I would be attractive when this was over. Not far behind was Anger. His gift contained anger at how cancer would turn my life upside down, and yes, anger at God. Dread seemed to take his time getting to the party. His gift was the dread of the treatments and their side effects and the dread of losing my identity.              
The last guest to arrive was Jesus. I raced toward Him and quickly opened His gift to discover:

Hope . . . promise for the future
     Strength . . . the ability to endure
     Grace . . . God's help
     Comfort . . . in pain, trouble and anxiety
     Peace . . . calmness
     Healing . . . restoration of mind, spirit and body
     Joy . . . a sense of well-being
     Love . . . compassion and devotion shown by God.

After opening all the presents, I realised that Jesus, with the beautiful gifts He freely gives, was the only One I needed or wanted to stay.

"
Most gracious Heavenly Father, thank you for loving me enough to give me the most precious gift of all: your Son, Jesus Christ. When I know Jesus, I am given the gift of your Holy Spirit and a relationship that extends throughout eternity. Thank you for the promise that your gifts and calling are irrevocable. I am yours and nothing can change that.
   Forgive any fear, doubt, anger and dread that I have as I come to grips with what lies before me. Bury deep within my heart the assurance that by your grace I will be able to embrace my circumstances with peace and confidence. 
   I am grateful that you are able to make all grace abound to me so that in all things, at all times, I will have all that I need. Fill me up with all the gifts of your Spirit - love, joy, peace, patience, kindness, goodness, faithfulness and self-control. I praise you for the perfect gifts you give to your children . . . that you have given to me."

written by Missy Morrow 
   in "Praying through Cancer"
Tagged:

Comments

• Ann-Marie
    Ann-Marie Member Posts: 1,142
    Options
    @Tracey62 thank you for sharing this, @Soldier Crab :)
  • SoldierCrab
    SoldierCrab Member Posts: 3,445
    Options
    @Tracey62 that is a beautiful piece .... thank you for sharing with the group ... 

I know this is one of my favourite scriptures..

John 16:33 New International Version (NIV)

33 “I have told you these things, so that in me you may have peace. In this world you will have trouble. But take heart! I have overcome the world.”