Buckets and Stress

Deanne
Deanne Member Posts: 2,163
edited November 2016 in Health and wellbeing

I read somewhere (probably on here) that after you go through a diagnosis and prolonged treatment for breast cancer (and it would be the same for any serious illness or life changing event I would think) that your “bucket” for stress is always about 70% full (or maybe it’s only 30% of the size it was before bc). This leaves much less room before your bucket overflows and makes a mess around you! Watch out anyone close by!

Tomorrow I have a medical appointment which is a little stressful. Nothing to do with breast cancer, nothing life-threatening but something which I would rather not be having to do. Bucket approaching 95% full!

BUT I do have some strategies that seem to work very well whenever this situation arises in my life now. 

1. Don’t think too far ahead. In this case, tomorrow may prove to be just fine, nothing further to stress over. In any case I would only be guessing at what might be the outcome. At the worst I will have to have some further treatment but nothing that will slow me down for long. Don’t go manufacturing unnecessary stress for that dangerously full bucket! Deal only with the definite for now.

2. Keep busy. This has added bonuses in that I get super organised and sometimes even do some of those little jobs that have been waiting around for the right moment. It also has the potential to make a little more room in the bucket by reducing the stress of a messy house and/or desk. Today I even cleaned my email inbox!!

3. Do something you enjoy. This can be as simple as turning up the radio in the car when an inspiring or motivating or just plain favourite song comes on. Again this just makes a little more room in the bucket somehow.

4. Do something relaxing. My daughter gave me some lovely (natural, chemical free) perfume recently. I think it is called Bliss. It has a very relaxing perfume and has become a big part of my meditation routine. Spray perfume, darken the room, iPod ear phones playing meditative music, lay on my back with legs up the wall. Especially good to slow everything down before sleeping. More space in that bucket!

5. Say no to anything that you can, that will add even a little bit of stress, to the bucket. And don’t feel guilty about putting yourself first. Those around you will ultimately benefit by not having that mess overflow from the bucket!

6. Exercise. That is why, before my appointment, I will be making sure I get to go to my weightlifting class tomorrow. At the very least it will give me a much better chance of carrying that heavy bucket without toxic spills!

7. Reward for surviving the stress. Plan something for after the event that will allow you to de-stress with someone close. In this case, it will be dinner out with my husband. Bucket emptied without mess! Everyone benefits!

With all these strategies to use I hope to get through tomorrow with no major spills from the stress bucket!  :s

Tagged:

Comments

• Deanne
    I have no idea how the first part ended up in larger font!   :o
  • Michelle_R
    Michelle_R Member Posts: 901
    Good luck with your appointment xx
  • Ann-Marie
    Ann-Marie Member Posts: 1,142
    @Deanne the little symbol for Format at the top can change the size of the fonts :) I can help you change this to normal if you like?
  • Deanne
    That would be great @Ann-Marie_BCNA. It will make more room in my bucket! I forgot that one - getting help from someone!!  :)
  • Ann-Marie
    Ann-Marie Member Posts: 1,142
    :)
  • Jane221
    Jane221 Member Posts: 1,195
    Great strategies Deanne and best of luck for tomorrow xx
  • iserbrown
    iserbrown Member Posts: 5,552
    Sending you positive energy for your appointment - take care xx
  • Tracey62
    Tracey62 Member Posts: 298
    Thinking of you tomorrow Deanne. Love the bucket tips  :)
  • primek
    primek Member Posts: 5,392
    Great strategies and hope all goes well.
  • JanineG
    JanineG Member Posts: 148
    Loved reading your 'bucket' analogy. Thank you. I'm going to try to follow your great tips.
  • socoda
    socoda Member Posts: 1,767
    Wishing you all the best for tomorrow's appointment. Xx Cath
  • Hopes_and_Dreams
    Hopes_and_Dreams Member Posts: 760
    Thanks Deanne, definitely some great tips to remember when my bucket starts (re) filling up.  Hope all goes well with your appointment tomorrow.  Jane x
  • ElaineG
    ElaineG Dragonfly Posts: 60
     Brilliant comments Deanne!
    couldnt agree more!!!
    hope appt is ok