Pain and lump

Hi,  I had surgery at the end of April 2016, I was told I'd be in hospital overnight and 5 days later they took the drain tube out and I went home still very swollen and for the next 2 months I was regularly drained 2-3 times a week and the pain started, 11 weeks after lumpectomy and 8 lymph nodes removed I started 5 weeks of radiation, not a lot of problem, some burning, some loss of skin and some discolouration that's all settled down since finishing radiation on 15/8 started tamoxifen in 2/9 and as far as side effects, a couple of hot flushes but not regular, weight gain and extreme tiredness and little dizziness/light headedness.

i suppose I am very lucky as my diagnosis is good - lymph nodes all clear and I still have a breast half the size of the one that is not disfigured but I am very concerned about the hard lump (not scar tissue) and the constant pain I am experiencing all the time some 5 plus months after surgery, i would like to know if others have experienced similar.

Comments

• Michelle_R
    Michelle_R Member Posts: 901
    I would check with your surgeon in case there was some underlying infection which has flared up.  I had an area of heat and redness months later which was successfully treated with antibiotics.  Definitely check it out.  All the best  Michelle x
  • Jane221
    Jane221 Member Posts: 1,193
    I agree with Michelle, definitely worth talking to your surgeon as it could be an underlying infection, tissue or nerve damage or lymph buildup that can all cause pain months after surgery. Hopefully your doctor can quickly identify the issue and come up with a positive solution or ways to alleviate the pain. Best wishes, Jane xx
  • Gesmeg10
    Gesmeg10 Member Posts: 3
    Thankyou Michelle and Jane for your comments but my surgeon does know about it and says its normal and just takes time and put voltaren on it - I am getting very frustrated
  • Nadi
    Nadi Member Posts: 619
    Hi Gesmeg. I had a lumpectomy November 2015 and still have a hard lump that is often painful in that breast. I have had follow up ultrasound and mammogram and the lump is part of the reconstruction they did when they took out the cancer. My surgeon says it's my new normal. 
  • Mira
    Mira Member Posts: 678
    edited October 2016
    Hi Gesmeg,  I had a lumpectomy in April last year and was still feeling a bit of pain in my breast a few weeks ago.  The doctor said that's normal.  I have a small hard  lump at the site of where my cancer was, my understanding is that it is a marker so the doctors can find the spot again if they need to.
  • Gesmeg10
    Gesmeg10 Member Posts: 3
    Thnx ladies my lump is about 4 inches long and 1.5 wide and goes out to the side nearly under my arm -- I hope this is not my new normal