Diagnosed at 33

Options
kellara
kellara Member Posts: 1
Good evening all.
I just don't know how to say this. I was diagnosed with metastatic breast cancer at 33. No family history. I'm neither a smoker nor do I drink alcohol. Yet last week, my world and that of my family's was ripped apart and I don't even know how we are going to put the pieces back together.
In a sense, I am not worried for myself. But I have two sons, both under the age of six and one has autism spectrum disorder. I just don't know what to do anymore. And I guess that's why I've posted on this page - kind of hoping for some advice and words of wisdom. Because I feel kind of lost at the
moment.
Would truly appreciate any help and advice.
Best regards,
Kellara

Comments

• primek
    primek Member Posts: 5,392
    edited October 2016
    Options
    @kellara . I'm sorry you have had to join this group. This must be truly devastating. I guess at present there is a lot happening with treatment planning. Have you a surgery date or is this an advancement of previously treated breast cancer?

Just thought I would let you know that there is a private group you might wish to join regarding metastatic breast cancer.

http://onlinenetwork.bcna.org.au/group/2-living-with-metastatic-breast-cancer

Have you heen introduced to a breast care nurse yet? They are a great resource and support. There is also a journey kit for metastatic breast cancer that you can order but I currently cannot locate how to do that with the sute upgrade. I'm  sure someone else will assist with this.

We are here to listen. Ask anything. Know we are thinking of you. Kath x
  • primek
    primek Member Posts: 5,392
    Options
    I have found the kit.  

https://www.bcna.org.au/resources/hope-hurdles/

What I do want to ask, are you lymph node positive or is it further?  I'm  asking as sometimes GPs refer to this as metastatic when it is classed as locally advanced breast cancer.

Treatment options are different and terminology is confusing. Kath x
  • iserbrown
    iserbrown Member Posts: 5,552
    Options
    Hi Kellara - just wanted to come on and say Hello, and so sorry for your news at age 33.  Hopefully being that age means you are able to bounce back quicker than some of us that are somewhat older.  Kath has given you some great advice here already for you to follow around the site.  If you can't manage ring BCNA; the staff are terrific and will help you to navigate around the site to find what will help you straight up.
    Have you been allocated a Breast Care Nurse, they are a godsend!  Keep a notepad handy and write down questions and thoughts as the Breast Care Nurse will help you through and of course there is us here on the forum.
    Deep breaths, pat yourself down on the legs and arms to bring yourself into the now!  You can only deal with now and not the what ifs, buts and all those thoughts that race around
    Take care from Christine xx
  • Brenda5
    Brenda5 Member Posts: 2,423
    Options
    Kel, with careful treatment you should no problems be able to complete the raising of your children. I had a friend who had the worst liver cancer and his kids both passed the 18yr old mark before he succumbed. Just soldier on and worry about the worst if or when it comes, no time atm to be dwelling on what the future holds. You have your hands full enough with the kids. <3
  • Ann-Marie
    Ann-Marie Member Posts: 1,142
    edited October 2016
    Options
    Hi @kellara it's never easy welcoming a new member to the online network however this is a place where you will be able to ask as many questions as you need. The members are just wonderful and as you have already seen @primek has been able to point you in the direction of two important things that BCNA can do to help support you. We also over a professional one-on-one counselling support service over the phone. Please let us know if there is anything we can help you with. As @iserbrown mentioned we are just a phone call away. x
  • Scooper
    Scooper Member Posts: 113
    Options
    Dear Kellara

I am sorry to hear of your metastatic diagnosis.  Please join the metastatic breast cancer group.  Am thinking of you at this very horrendous time in your life.  Please just be kind to yourself and try very hard to rest as much as you can.  Take your husband with you to the appointments, take a note book to write everything down and make sure that your team including your G.P. are all on the same page.  If you are not sleeping go and see your G.P.for a mild sedative to sleep at night.  I found that the hardest when I was first handed the news.  Take up all offers of help from your family and friends - your head will be spinning - this disease is crap.
    Take care. Love
    Sandra
    xxxxx
  • socoda
    socoda Member Posts: 1,767
    Options
    Hi Kellara, Just know we are all here for you - if you need to offload but don't want to do so to family, this is the place to come!! All the best Xx Cath