Periods

Options
ccasper
ccasper Dragonfly Posts: 190
Hi Ladies

Anyone had their period during chemo still?

I was told I would go into early menopause but currently I have my second period since starting chemo (just finished AC and start Taxol next week). 

I am just confused as i expected the to go. Thanks in advance!

Comments

• Deanne
    Deanne Member Posts: 2,163
    Options
    I had a different chemo regime to you. I had 3 weekly chemo, 3 x FEC and then 3 x Docetaxel. My periods continued up to the 4th chemo (first Docetaxel). My oncologist was surprised they continued so long into chemo but kept saying they would stop soon! I was then told that I would likely stay in menopause because of my age (47 at diagnosis) but 18 months later my periods returned. My oncologist said this was a common time for ovaries to recover from chemo effects but was surprised that mine did because of my age. 

As I had hormone positive cancer (and was 49 by this time) I then had my ovaries removed so I could change from Tamoxifen to Femara which gives a bit better protection against recurrence. 

I guess we are all a bit different and sometimes our bodies put up a pretty good fight against the side effects of treatment. Yours is doing this too. I am sure the chemo is still doing its job getting rid of any stray cancer cells though. xx
  • ccasper
    ccasper Dragonfly Posts: 190
    Options
    Thanks @Deanne

Intersting yours went for so long. I am only 30 so having regular periods is what I guess me body is trying to do.  I guess I am still ovulating too. I don't mind having them I guess I am just curious if others have experienced the same. 

will be interesting to see how long they last for!
  • Brenda5
    Brenda5 Member Posts: 2,423
    Options
    I had one period during chemo. My oncologist told me to take no notice of it as chemo sort of messes with everything. I have not had another all year now.