Neuropathy help

Options
angiesg
angiesg Member Posts: 82
edited October 2016 in Health and wellbeing

Hi all

Its 4 months post chemo and the neuropathy in my feet is slightly better but still an issue especially on the balls of my feet. It did not get too bad during chemo but its just lingering now.

My oncologist has said that this can take some time to resolve so need to be patient.

Anyone tried anything "natural" or other complementary therapies to help? Would a podiatrist help at all?

Angie

Tagged:

Comments

• Rachel01
    Rachel01 Member Posts: 26
    Options
    Hi angie i am 4 weeks post chemo and only developed neurooathy after last chemo treatment.  I was thinkingvof goingvto a podiatrist  as well.  Wd be interested to know if it helps?
  • primek
    primek Member Posts: 5,392
    Options
    I know avoiding getting cold feet helps mine. I live in slippers and thick socks when I can.
  • Afraser
    Afraser Member Posts: 4,373
    Options
    Patience is a real virtue for this one - it can most certainly linger. On the positive side, it can also keep getting better if ever so slowly. My oncologist suggested vitamin B, purely on the basis that some people found it helpful, no promises! My symptoms stopped getting worse when I took it, so I still do. More recently I have found paraffin wax pedicures fantastic - a bit indulgent, and it may just make me feel good generally (not a bad idea!!), but the soles of my feet and heels feel much improved for several days after.
  • SoldierCrab
    SoldierCrab Member Posts: 3,445
    Options
    Hi ladies ... I have gotten a Dawn Frazer Revitalise machine .... http://www.revitive.com.au/ it has really helped my severe neuropathy in my feet.... You can normally trial it at the chemist.... I found the cheaper brands were horrible but the revitive machine really helps I was put onto it by a friend who had neuropathy before I did .... I cant recommend it enough.
    my chemist allows 1 week trials to see how you go with it....  hope this helps I also found if I am tired it is worse. 
  • Afraser
    Afraser Member Posts: 4,373
    Options

Revitive will probably do no harm (unless you have lymphoedema in your legs, in which case it might) but it works on the veins and blood flow. Peripheral neuropathy is damage to the nerves. Peripheral nerves send sensory information back to the brain and spinal cord, such as a message that the feet are cold. Peripheral nerves also carry signals from the brain and spinal cord to the muscles to generate movement. Damage to the peripheral nervous system interferes with these connections. Like static on a telephone line, peripheral neuropathy distorts and sometimes interrupts messages between the brain and spinal cord and the rest of the body. So we end up with cold or numb feet, prickling, feeling like you are wearing three pairs of thick socks or walking on a mattress (my particular favourite!). Sometimes also pain. As far as I can tell, the nerves can repair over a period (uncertain) of time, which is good as the damage seems at least in part reversible. Stimulus, massage may also help the nerves but it seems really hard to find out what actually, really does. Most advice is about controlling pain and not tripping!! .