Support Groups Sydney CBD

Options
Deborah1
Deborah1 Member Posts: 6
edited October 2016 in Community news and events
Does anyone know of any support groups meeting up in the Sydney CBD area?
I'm suddenly feeling really over having cancer. I've smiled my way through chemo, lumpadectomy and reconstruction, starting hormone therapy, getting ready for radiation, showing my breasts to every doctor and nurse etc etc, paying all the bills, but hearing that I need a mastectomy now has blown the wind out of my sails for now and I would like to meet up and chat with some women.
Tagged:

Comments

• Ann-Marie
    Ann-Marie Member Posts: 1,142
    Options
    Hi @Deborah1, I just wanted to let you know on our website we have a service directory that you can search support groups/services in your area. This is what I found so far - click here. I am sure some of the online members will be able to provide you with some other options as well. Ann-Marie 
  • LouiseTurner
    LouiseTurner Member Posts: 1,610
    Options
    Hi @Deborah1 nice to meet you. Reclaim Your Curves has a member group meeting in Sydney bi-monthly at Macquarie Park, an easy to access location. Unfortunately the most recent lunch was last weekend but the next is in Nov. While we are focused on supporting women deciding on or undergoing reconstruction the group is a mix of ladies at various stages of treatment.

You will find us in the BCNA links and can contact us that way, Alison @alpal is the group leader and I'm sure she will give you all the details.

I hope you can come along.
    Louie xx
  • Alpal
    Alpal Member Posts: 196
    Options
    Hi Deborah.  Sorry to hear that your treatment seems to be never ending.  It certainly can make a big difference having a chat to other women who really "get it".
    As Louise mentioned above, we've just had a support lunch in Sydney, but our next one will be on Sunday, 27th November at The Dragonfly Cafe - Eden Gardens, Macquarie Park.  We'll have a guest speaker from the YWCA Encore program sharing some info about our physical and emotional well being regarding bc treatment.  Apart from having a guest speaker, it's an informal get together over lunch, and many women find it so encouraging just to chat to others who have experienced similar wide ranging of emotions and treatments.  If you'd like to come, just let me know via a message here, or on the Reclaim Your Curves website or Facebook page.  We'd love to meet you.
    Alison xx
  • Deborah1
    Options
    Thanks very much. Thats great to know.
  • TonyaM
    TonyaM Member Posts: 2,836
    Options
    Hi Deborah,
     I run a support group in the Hills area. We meet at Kenthurst on the first Friday of the month. It's probably abit too far for you but you are most welcome. Alternatively,I am happy to chat on the phone with you. Tonya xx
  • socoda
    socoda Member Posts: 1,767
    Options
    Hi Deborah,
    I work in the CBD and have no probs meeting after work and having a cuppa and a natter!! Oh and I've also had a mastectomy with immediate reconstruction so can relate. If you want to meet up, let me know :) You can message me and I'll send you my phone number and we can organise it. All the best. Xx Cath
  • Deborah1
    Options
    Cath that would be lovely. Thanks so much.