Coping with implants

JulieP
JulieP Member Posts: 10
edited September 2016 in Day to day
hi. Just wondering how long it takes to get used to implants. I hate the feeling. Feels like my skin is loose and rippled when I an lying down. I was also totally unprepared for lack of any feeling in both breasts and under one arm.  I've only had the implants for 3 weeks now. I have that "want to take my bra off" feeling all the time yet I can't take them off. Lol. 
Tagged:

Comments

• Hopes_and_Dreams
    Hopes_and_Dreams Member Posts: 760
    Hi Julie,  I completely understand how you feel!  I had a left nipple sparing mastectomy 6 weeks ago with an immediate implant reconstruction.  I am only just starting to feel a bit more comfortable with how the implant feels.  The complete numbness was unexpected.  My surgeon reminded me that he did warn me but I guess I expected there might be some sensation somewhere??  No, completely numb except for the inside edge near my ribs.  The implant felt quite tight for about a month, particularly around the pec muscle.  Once the swelling and bruising went down there was a big improvement.

I have changed into a soft sports bra this week and it felt amazing to finally be out of the compression bra!  I think it will be a while before I feel secure enough to go braless though.

I would also be keen to hear from ladies who have had implants for a while.  Has anyone got any sensation back??
    Hope you are doing well Julie.  Sending best wishes.

Jane x

• iserbrown
    iserbrown Member Posts: 5,541
    Hi!  My implant has been in since October last year.  Some days it feels uncomfortable.  It takes a long long time for the muscles and nerves to settle.  I go to remedial massage and that helps heaps as my breast felt cold and my armpit was numb from the sentinel node surgery.
    I sleep in an Aaah! bra - it is like a security blanket and it does feels comfortable. 
    I have got good movement back with my arm, being able to put my left arm up my back and join the other hand at my neck - something I couldn't do after the first surgery.  The remedial message has helped that!
    You will be fine eventually it just takes a long time as they've upset muscles and nerves.
    Take care and sending you a virtual hug from Christine xx
  • DaisyMarigold
    DaisyMarigold Member Posts: 315
    Hi - I had a single mastectomy and reconstruction, and an implant in the other breast 3 years ago. I'm sorry to say this, but the feeling in the mastectomy breast has never returned, and I was told it wouldn't. The other breast has normal feeling, but I've lost a lot of sensation in the nipple, which affects foreplay during sex. However, the plus side is that the cancer breast has gone, which hugely reduces my anxiety about recurrence of what was a low risk cancer. i've got used to the fact that both breasts look different, and my new partner hasn't known me any other way, so just accepts me the way i am. It took quite a while for the implants to settle down. I found physio, massage, laser therapy etc really helpful in reducing the pain and helping my muscles settle. Six months after the operations, I went on a big day walk over a 5,000 foot volcano in NZ. It was tough, I was exhausted, but at the end of the day I felt I'd reclaimed my body from the medicos. That was a really important turning point in accepting the 'new me'. So maybe look ahead and set some little goal/s that will be important in accepting the changes. Very best for the future. xx
  • LouiseTurner
    LouiseTurner Member Posts: 1,610
    Hi @JulieP it can be a tough time post reconstruction. I didn't have implants but adjusting to my new bod is an ongoing challenge. My surgery was years ago but last weekend I went skiing for the first time in ages and realized it'd harder to get up from a fall after tummy surgery. What a strange display I gave scrambling around in the snow.

I haven't heard of rippling with implants other than if there isn't enough tissue between the implant and the outer breast skin or the skin pocket is too big/implant too small. This might be improved with lipofilling/fat grafting which give you a bit more fleshyness  (new word for the day) around the implant. Lots of ladies in Reclaim Your Curves are talking about this method.

It's a shame you were not aware of the lack of sensation after mastectomy and reconstruction. Being prepared for that makes it somewhat easier to deal with but unfortunately it's never going to return like it was. The mastectomy removes nerves that are in the breast tissue, but the good news is that over time lots of ladies report nerves regenerating and sensation creeping in from the edges.

It's just a few weeks for you, hang in there and give you self time to adjust. Even just 3 months can mean your body settles a bit and revisions and issues can be managed to help reach a happy place.

Maybe pop over and join the Choosing Breast Reconstruction group. Lots of members there have implants.

All the best xx Louie

• Hopes_and_Dreams
    Hopes_and_Dreams Member Posts: 760
    Thank you ladies for your feedback.  It has been a big help to me and I'm sure JulieP as well.  I was thinking about the rippling which I have noticed too.  It is probably not dissimilar to our natural breast when we lie down.  The muscles relax, all the tissue softens and falls to the side.  Our breasts look quite different between standing up and laying down.  It all becomes the new normal which can take a bit of getting used to.

I loved hearing that Louise and DaisyMarigold were both doing energetic sports - gives all of us who are newly post op confidence that we can also regain that vitality.  I just need to stop treating my implant as if it was made of glass!!
    I hadn't thought of an Aaah bra - great idea Christine!

My husband and I are travelling to Europe early December (booked months before my diagnosis and put on hold til I got the all clear - IDC, Stage 1, nodes clear, no chemo/radio, Arimidex only).  It is perfect timing and another reminder to make the most of our lives. I have a goal to be fit and healthy for all the walking we will do!

Hope you doing well Julie, best wishes to all.

Jane xx 

• socoda
    socoda Member Posts: 1,767
    Hi Julie,
    I had a single nipple and skin saving mastectomy with immediate reconstruction 3 months ago now - Wow that's gone fast. I was told by my breast care nurse to rub bio oil into the scar and also into the breast tissue twice a day to not only help the scar line but also to help soften the breast and hopefully stop any encapsulation from happening. I do this religiously. I have some limited feeling in the nipple and breast but mostly at this stage feel as though I have a foreign item attached to me and depending on how I move I can feel like I'm going one way and my breast another!! Lol! I have a slight dent that runs across my nipple but my surgeon is allowing time for my implant to soften before having the fat grafting that Louise has talked about. I occasionally had a weird feeling in my breast not unlike the feeling you get when you stand on a very small piece of glass and it is in your foot - and I suppose that was the tissue that was left healing(???). Wasn't all the time but just every now and then. I also had my pec muscle have a bit of a spasm every now and then and debated teaching myself how to twitch the other one (like the bodybuilders do!!!) just for a laugh but that too seems to have settled down now. I'm incredibly impressed with my new anti-sagger and feel very lucky that I was able to go down this path of surgery rather than other alternatives. Wishing you comfort and happiness. Xx Cath
  • Colette
    Colette Member Posts: 4
    Hi  I am just started researching into what should I do when it comes to my reconstruction.  I am 4 years out of my right breast mastectomy and treatment and now want to have a reconstruction but am totally blind of what is the best direction.  I dont want to have a double mastectomy if possible and I do want to keep my left nipple and have a implant.  Can anyone provide me with opinions about what they have experienced.  thank you Colette
  • iserbrown
    iserbrown Member Posts: 5,541
    Hi Colette - http://onlinenetwork.bcna.org.au/group/1-choosing-breast-reconstruction

The above group - part of this forum is probably the best place for you to search for information.