Well that sux

LadyLace
LadyLace Member Posts: 41
edited September 2016 in Newly diagnosed
Dx on 24/08/16.
port going in on 12/08/16
first round of chemo starting on 12/08/16. 3 week intervals X 4 then 1 week intervals X 12.
no tears, maintaining control of the situation and all around me
registered nurse... Is that a good thing or a bad thing?

Comments

• AdrienneSands
    AdrienneSands Member Posts: 60
    Hello LadyLace
    Sounds to me like your medical training has kicked in and you are looking at this very technically. We all have our own way of coping with things and Im sure that everything will just fine for you as you sound like a very strong woman.
    Good luck with everything :)
  • melclarity
    melclarity Member Posts: 3,502
    Hey Ladyace,

So you start Chemo tomorrow? Sounds like youre having similar to what I had, 3 weekly FEC x 4 then Taxol weekly x 8. 
    Registered Nurse, I think will be a good thing! as medically you will be across everything and onto it as you need to be. The only thing I would say is, its OK to slip out of the Nurse Hat so to speak and just be human, its an enormous thing you are going through. I love how all Women approach treatment scared of course but with such strength! Like anything it is hard to maintain a strength 24/7, so there will be moments you crumble but knowing its OK for that to happen. So allow yourself to just be you through the process. Hugs as you start, you'll do great :)
    Melinda 
  • primek
    primek Member Posts: 5,392
    Bring a Nurse helps you to get onto side effects quickly and deal with many issues without needing a Dr. I think the 1st thing to accept is you don't  have control of this. Your life becomes a series of appointments and tests. You are at the mercy of others. Crying is fine. Feeling vulnerable is fine. Letting that part go actually decreases your stress a bit. But keeping informed and making appropriate decisions of your care is the best you can do. I undertook ACT-H chemo. Now just on the Herceptin part. It's  a long road to this point but you will get there. Take care. Kath x
  • wooda
    wooda Member Posts: 22
    I think we are on a very similar journey, same Meds, same regime, newly diagnosed and I am a Nurse Practitioner too. I have port in on 23/8 and first chemo on 27/8. I am calm but dreading it all at the same time. I am not comfortable being on the receiving end but grateful for the opportunity to get better.
  • socoda
    socoda Member Posts: 1,767
    Hi Ladylace,
    Wishing you all the best. Xx Cath
  • LadyLace
    LadyLace Member Posts: 41
    Thank-you for taking the time to comment. Port in and round one of chemo completed. All good.