Returning to work

Comments

• primek
    primek Member Posts: 5,392
    Hi All. I gave my boss my latest certificate yesterday for an additional month at 4 hours a day. Whilst  I am coping  with this I have days when I am really really tired and struggle, other days not so bad. My bosses comment  was ...."for how long is it" ....well that went down a treat considering I'd  been in tears due to tiredness prior work that day. I then felt quite angry and tried to contact my breast care nurse to talk it  over....not avail at the time. Meanwhile I popped into  the office of The  Cancer Care coordinator . ..who is at the same hospital I work at. She said she actually would have been more shocked if I had increased and  thought I was doing amazingly well. Her plan was to have a meeting with my boss (with my permission of course) to explain post chemo fatigue and also how her handling  of my  medical certificates have made me  feel. This week is my  4th week back and  not even a chat on how I was even going . ...amusing since I work in mental health. She also is planning  on doing  education with all the hospital managers to discuss and educate the need for workers to be supported.

I am continuing to try to remain active at home after work...a walk or a pool walk....often still requiring a solid afternoon sleep before hand. I am slowly getting stronger and neuropathy is much improved. I have also  managed to lose 10 of the 19 kg I put on during chemo with a dietitians help.

I got to  talk to the breast care nurse today and felt  supported by her also,  so we will see how things go. 

I continue with herceptin treatments and feel tired and achy for days after...and it is bs to say it is not a side effect...it is listed as one. i was surprised of course with my 1st treatment where I had absolutely no remaining  chemo in my system. But I just rest more and keep up the  panadol. Only 10 more to go...sigh.

Take care all. Kath x
  • iserbrown
    iserbrown Member Posts: 5,540
    Fatigue is difficult to cope with when our routines don't allow for it
  • melclarity
    melclarity Member Posts: 3,502
    Kath, I am so sorry to hear of how this has been handled!!! I think you are doing amazing managing what you are! 6 weeks post chemo I planned on returning full time, and my Oncologist said NOOOOOO WAY! so glad I didnt listen! I still havent progressed from 3 days a week and 10 months on has been incredibly difficult. So a decision has had to be made for future planning and I can only manage another year of 3 days a week, thankfully I have income protection for 1 more year it has been a blessing. After that Im hoping I really get on track with the help of an exercise physiologist. Support is so imperative right now for you and through this!!! Hang in there and irrespective of it all, KEEP PUTTING YOU FIRST! Ive just found the more I honor myself the more I have work/life balance. Youre doing amazing!! Melinda xo
  • melclarity
    Kath, I have like 7kg still from Chemo and am soooo mad!!!! any tips you can share would be so very welcomed on how to move it!!!?? my Breast Surgeon said it generally takes 2-4years for your body to readjust back again due to the drugs. :( uuuugh!
  • NaturalBel
    NaturalBel Member Posts: 542
    Returning to work.  Wow what a topic.  I will always be remembered, when you Google my name, as the Pharmacy Assistant who returned to work after having had Cancer.  The Pharmacy Magazine asked me if I would be in their monthly read and I agreed to it.  My only regret is in this modern day of working, if I am Googled, they will see I have had Cancer.  It is not something I mentioned when I went for my first new job - moving to Sydney, after my return to work.  Behind me a left quite an impression and an experience.  No one was at fault, however, I look back now and see they refused to train me in a part of my study, as a Dispensary Technician in Launceston, and even now, I am given no responsibility and menial tasks to perform.  I am noticing no advancement as a subtle observation, and I was honest about what I had been through, before signing the employment contract. Although they were wonderful about it, (where I work now), it clearly isn't a way to be viewed as the person to pick for roles of responsibility.  I guess it all depends on how you look at it.  I am lucky, as they accommodated the arm that had been effected and I am well looked after in the environment I am in, in a caring and nurturing way.  So I guess it all depends on whether you need to advance in you career or not doesn't it.  Some of us are not in the luxury seat of just going to work for a hobby job, and will be working until the last minute, especially to be able to cope with the expense of Sydney.  So instead of feeling defeated and  blaming Cancer, or analyzing my working capacity, this year I decided to make a stand.  I am no longer looking for Cancer to return, or blaming my work place for lack of opportunity, because of Cancer and the set backs with shifting straight after, etc, I am going to study instead.  Find my old guts and determination I had before I had Cancer, find that old self confidence, and continue life as though it didn't happen.  My CV is full of fabulous history, now I need to improve my current skills to progress.   I have new goals and ambitions in place.  I have new directions in mind, and with it a new sense of self pride again, and not the "poor me" or "victim" I found so easy to fell into after that year with off.  Returning to work is one thing, finding drive and determination, now that was another ! May 2017. Triple Negative 5 year survivor Oct.
  • primek
    @belmckenna Have you discussed job satisfaction with your boss. Tellibg them you feel ready to tackle more. Maybe they are trying to help and not realising how it feels to you.

I currently am flat chat with more and more responsibility being chucked at me. I guess they figure I'll yell when gets too much.

Hope your study goes well. Kath x
  • primek
    Ps  I'm back to full time. But need daily nanna naps.
  • NaturalBel
    Yes I have recently had a meeting with them. I also was upfront about the computing course. I have new ideas in mind for the future. But it won't be a quick change. All is going well at job. Perhaps after 10 years it's good to make changes and rethink. You're aware I am in Retail I guess. Changes are good some times and things are different 10 years down the road
  • Zoffiel
    Zoffiel Member Posts: 3,372
    Go for it @belmckenna . I lost my job just before my recurrence in late 2016. Thankfully I'd already enrolled in a degree thru Fed Uni (I probably wouldn't have done it if I knew everything was going to turn to shit) so while I've been getting sliced, diced, poisoned and irradiated I've managed to knock over 14 subjects. I got an exemption for the first year--prior learning--and only have one assignment to finish and I have a brand new Ad Dip to wave at potential employers. I'll fast track the last year if I can so will have the degree by 2018. I'm not even going to think about what it will cost me as an unsubsidised student. I don't care, I had to change careers as  my last one is slowly dying.

I got head hunted yesterday by a company looking for a new graduate and will go back to work in July. Connsidering I'm 53, sick and bald I'd call that a win. If I hadn't studied I'd probably be trying to get a job at Bunnings or waiting tables. I doubt I'd be physically up to it but there is bugger all else here at the moment apart from some niche stuff. Like what I'm going to do.

People get intimidated by the time it takes to complete a qual but the time passes anyway. As for cost, people borrow $600k to buy a crappy house; going into debt so I can keep working and get a well paid job makes perfect sense compared to that.

Marg 
  • Cate64
    Cate64 Member Posts: 446
    So, I remember reading recently in a news article that cancer falls under the Disability Act if you feel you are being discriminated against or treated unfairly etc. Employers need to tread carefully dealing with cancer effected employees & most of them don't realise it.. Was an interesting read though I cannot, for the life of me, remember where I read it. 
  • Cate64
    @melcarity come with me & run it off at the Gold Coast Marathon....
  • melclarity
    Hahahaha OMG Cate...I barely walk let alone run!! though change in eating and have dropped 1.5kg yay!! and counting...slowly but surely xx
  • NaturalBel
    DISABILITY ACT.  Correct !  I was stunned and amazed when I presented all my ideas to a "Career Counselor" here in Sydney at TAFE, that she then turn around and say "Don't worry, you are classed as Disabled and the Government will pick up the Bill !"  I asked her "So how much will this course cost?", and said "We are Renters, who just get through, here in Sydney!"  Due to the psychological trauma, the post stress experience, then the return to work, where I have experience "Bullying", and  been bypassed  for any opportunities hell yeh, there is an emotional side to this.  I  monitor its return and there is no clear slate ! Well  no wonder ya can kinda say at times, mentally - it messes with ya head!  But as we are "strong" women, who regain their composure, slowly bring back hope and determination to still be able to earn above the poverty line income, in Sydney. You have to advance financially in your career.  There is not the happy choice for me of have Cancer, and then don't go back to work, I have to work until I drop, or retire in a tent!  So for those who didn't have that awesome Career, with the great financial flexibility - I had to get my head together and return to - what the hell is next for me without having been to Uni!  I feel like I have survived Cancer and just gone back to where I was but, Career wise, stayed in one spot.  So with this door opener, I have a chance to progress now.  Ultimately, with my Coffee and Chat Group, it is my lead up to what I have in mind down the track as my passion to help people cope with Cancer and to learn how to deal with stress.  First I will just be doing "Office Administration" first.   Well done to any one else who realized that for some of us, the Cancer Survivors, need to change - to start again, and need to start fresh some where new and hell I am 50 but I am not dead yet !  Communication and people are my two life long skills !  I don't want to feel stuck in retail any more !
  • Cate64
    @belmckenna you should take action against your previous employer for the discrimination & bullying you experienced..
  • NaturalBel
    No need to take action.  Some times in life it is easier to walk on and just take it on the chin.  Ultimately, they did the best they could for their first time of dealing with a staff member going through Cancer treatment, and returning one year later.  I also had only been there for 5 months before it happened.  The Pharmacy Guild were well aware of the controversial situation and they spoke up for me at the time.  If I were hell bent to push the issue further, it was a battle I had no extra energy for.  I have also to admit that some things aren't meant to be !  If it was my dream goal to have achieved that, I would have pushed it.  At the end of the day, I really didn't have a burning desire for it I feel.  May be that is more the point.  Thank you for the great input though and I appreciate where the advice would be helpful in some situations.  They were good people and I have moved on....well and truly.  At the end of the day....there are no friends in business, its always about money, profit and the best person for the job, at the time!  All good.