Getting fitter and healthier in 6 minutes a week

Options
primek
primek Member Posts: 5,392
edited September 2016 in Health and wellbeing

I watched a Catalyst program on ABC Iview which was very interesting. In particular is also a menopause study.

Currently we are looking at a recomnended 150 minutes of exercise a week to have good fitness post diagnosis (and all of us really ). This program examines doing very high intensity exercise for 30 seconds flat out ..then resting. 

I actually thought in our post chemo recovery it might be more doable., especially initially.   What is discovered is an overall fitness improvement. ...and more energy. Now for us undergoing treatment...flat out can be just a walk these days. But shows the value of doing just that.

http://www.abc.net.au/catalyst/stories/4319131.htm

And the article mentioned regarding post menopause
http://www.ptnational.edu.au/blog/hit-to-reduce-menopausal-weight

Food for thought.

Kath x

Comments

• jd48
    jd48 Member Posts: 484
    edited July 2016
    Options

Thank you for sharing Kath...

Yeah - walking can be too much sometimes... Went for a walk last evening and while I kept up a decent pace initially made a whole.of 1700 steps before I realised was getting tired... Damn trip back took almost an hour (hated it every step and the fact had to pretty much be dragged by hubby)

Scary how hard walking can be 3 days post AC session... So now olanning to behave... I mean 1 week post my 2nd AC I did a 12000 step walk in 2 hours... last night took 2hrs to complete 3400... Oh well - taught me a lesson not to be overly enthusiastic and to remember Chemo is Chemo and I have to take it easy...

But thesenthoughts of how do I go to being healthier and fitter and how to get exercise up and running going through my mind so would love to hear also what everyone else (rhat may not have been a firness fanatic or like me has been inactive for a while) is doing and how they achieve becoming fitter and more mobile...

Jel.

• iserbrown
    iserbrown Member Posts: 5,552
    edited July 2016
    Options

Hi Jel - I find if I head off for a walk I keep an eye on the time; for every 15 minutes away that is 15 minutes return.  I find I can't compare it to the walk or exercise previously as some days fatigue dominates.  As long as we do something it all helps in the grand scheme, our wellness!

Take care

Christine

• Vinn2016
    Vinn2016 Member Posts: 72
    edited July 2016
    Options

I saw the show on catalyst and exercised before and after chemo.  Now chemo is finished I am looking forward to getting fit again before I have my second op. I am hoping that I will be able to keep to a better exercise regime while undergoing radiation therapy that will be following surgery.

• jd48
    jd48 Member Posts: 484
    edited July 2016
    Options

I think that I will have to assume every minute in one direction equals 5 walking back ??

Last night is a shocker so until proven otherwise I will have to play it really safe... It really threw me as nothing like that had happened before.

Oh well - I should not have presumed I would be the same after each treatment - I guess that cummulative effect must show its ugly head at some stage. But I think more than anything it is that 'last chemo done and dusted' so want to be normal again thing...

I guess one step at the time and will have to figure it out as I really want to somehow start getting into shape before radiation starts. God only knows what is waiting for me there so would prefer to be a tad healthier...

Jel.

• primek
    primek Member Posts: 5,392
    edited July 2016
    Options

This is not the exercising with chemo program ...it is about fitness improve  of just 6 minutes a week outting you into very git mode.