Exercise Physiologist

Options
angiesg
angiesg Member Posts: 82
edited September 2016 in Health and wellbeing

Has anyone used a Exercise Physiologist?

I saw my GP yesterday and she recommend me to see one as part of a care plan to get me kick started with a exercise routine that's adapted to my needs.

Apparently they can tailor a programme for you that takes into account that you are a cancer patient and the type of treatment that you have had ie surgery, radiotherapy, chemo etc

Would love to hear from anyone who has used one and their experinces

Angie

Tagged:

Comments

• Aqua sunrise
    Aqua sunrise Member Posts: 41
    edited June 2016
    Options

Hi Angie

I went to an excersize psychologist attached to the bloomhill cancer care place in budrim, sunshine coast,

I would highly recommend everyone take full advantage of all the fabulous, highly skilled experts at our disposal.

Yes, they tailor an excersize programme just for you, after assessing your needs, lifestyle & outcome you are aiming for.

You just can't beat the one on one & of course you qualify for 5 ( I think it is, free )

Hope this helps

good luck

???????????? 

• primek
    primek Member Posts: 5,392
    edited June 2016
    Options

I have used one following a different illness and it was very beneficial.

• lrb_03
    lrb_03 Member Posts: 1,267
    edited June 2016
    Options

I first went to a student lead clinic last year, but found that a couple of things they sad they would follow up and let me know didn't happen. 

I've just recently seen one privately, and it was fantastic. I'm just over 4months post treatment,  with a few post treatment issues. He's taylored a really good, simple programme for me. It also hasn't involved going to a gym,  so that's a bonus for me as well.

Absolutely worth the money 

Take care, Lyn

• mum2jj
    mum2jj Member Posts: 4,330
    edited June 2016
    Options

I have one who has worked wonders with my back pain that nobody else could.  He comes to my house and we use what is available there, don't even need to go to a gym.

Paula

• airlie
    airlie Member Posts: 80
    edited June 2016
    Options

My neice has not l9ng graduated.

I shall have to ask. I am still in treatment so will approach her when I finish. 6 more rounds and done and dusted YIPPEE 

• annebirdy
    annebirdy Member Posts: 69
    edited June 2016
    Options

Hi Angie,

I've started seeing an exercise physiologist. Did you see the discussion on here about the Catalyst show a few weeks ago (ABC - can watch on iView). It showed good results from targeted exercise during and after treatment. It recommended seeing an exercise physiologist. Someone posted a link that allowed me to search and find one in my area.

I had 2 individual sessions and am now going twice a week - she has 2-3 that she manages at a time. I feel like it is very tailored and has been good for me to have the individual attention/feedback throughout.

Cheers, Anne

• LITHGOW1950
    LITHGOW1950 Member Posts: 314
    edited June 2016
    Options

Hi Angie, I started working with an exercise physiologist two weeks ago. My second visit was today and she took me through an individual exercise plan for me.  I can do these at home. Next week she will also take me through exercises I can do at any gym. I have muscle loss and she will work on increasing my muscle tone. Plus total body strength. I walk at lot and tried very hard to keep this up throughout my treatment. Six months of chemotherapy. I needed 20 days of Radiothreapy......only five days left. So almost at the end of what has been a long journey, all started early Sep 2015. 

I had to suggest the exercise person to my GP who did organise a care plan for me. It's a shame my oncologist didn't suggest it and I didn't start earlier....guess better late than never!

Good luck with finding a good exercise physiologist.

i have not checked this web site yet but you might find it interesting. I found it on the print out my instructor gave me.  www.essa.org.au

Anne-Marie ??

• SarahL501
    SarahL501 Member Posts: 22
    edited June 2016
    Options

The Catalyst episode is available to watch here http://www.abc.net.au/catalyst/stories/4459555.htm

• Cahu
    Cahu Member Posts: 16
    edited June 2016
    Options

Hi Angie

I have been going to a PINC physio and it has made a huge difference. They help you through any stage of your cancer journey. It's one on one and they look at what you need to get you to where you want to be. I have my own personalised exercises and the difference it has made to me is huge. Yes you can get 5 visits free, I have just had my 3rd one and I plan to keep going when they run out. It's a new rehabilitation program www.pincandsteel.com 

hope this helps

Cheryl

• angiesg
    angiesg Member Posts: 82
    edited June 2016
    Options

Thanks everyone for your feedback, ive made a appointment to see one next week. She seemed nice over the phone, and even mentioned the catalyst programme to me too

Angie