An individual-not a statistic!

Options
Deanne
Deanne Member Posts: 2,163
edited May 2016 in General discussion

Just sharing my thoughts and experiences after a Stage 3 diagnosis, 3 years down the track.

When I was first diagnosed and had my mastectomy, I was given (after asking my oncologist) some pretty scarey statistics. They were useful in helping me make decisions about treatment options and even an incentive to live well after active treatment ended.

Since then I have often heard statistics that paint a pretty depressing future if you let them. But somewhere along the line, I decided that if I was to have the best life possible after bc, then I needed to remember that these statistics are not necessarily MY future. 

Sometimes it can be reassuring to know that I am not alone with my situation. Side effects I experience are not me being a sook, they are real and statistically common for someone like me. But I also learnt that I can often help myself to minimize these effects and have a better quality of life.

By trial and error (and with my doctor's advice) I have found ways to make my everyday life a lot better than those statistics indicated it might be. 

We are all individuals and keeping an open mind can help you to be the best you possible. So use those statistics to your advantage. They can be a great motivator but they are not necessarily YOUR future. Take back whatever control you can and reclaim your life after bc.

I've just been to the top of the world (well as close as most ordinary people can get to the summit of Mt Everest) and back. I'm pretty sure this was not a future that those statistics predicted for anyone like me! But I did it anyway! 

:) Deanne xxx

Comments

• Lizzie13
    Lizzie13 Dragonfly Posts: 46
    edited May 2016
    Options

We+ll said Deanne, my very first breast surgeon said "No statistics", they are just numbers and do not mean you fall within this category. As it turned out I did fall within the category and even worse with an estrogen receptive tumour turning to a triple negative, being only 10% of women with secondaries, but if we live every day with a statistic free view of the future I am sure it must help.

• LITHGOW1950
    LITHGOW1950 Member Posts: 314
    edited May 2016
    Options

Hi Deanne,  thank you for your positive post.  It was just what I needed to read. I've been thru chemo (6mths) and just started Radiothreapy, require one month.   90% of the time I'm ok, lucky to have an amazing family and some very special friend. But there are times when my mind wonders.  So your post was just what I needed.  Thank you again.

Anne-Marie  ????