Trouble with seatbelts?

Cosette
Cosette Member Posts: 637
edited October 2016 in General discussion

A 68-year-old Sydney woman received a fine for altering her seatbelt after her breast cancer operation.

Lin Riley claims she was pulled over for a Random Breath Test on Oxford Street in Sydney, when a police officer spotted a bulldog clip at the retractor on her seatbelt above her right shoulder, News Corp reports.

Ms Riley said she uses it to ease discomfort to the left-hand side of her chest while she's behind the wheel.

The 68-year-old was reportedly diagnosed with cancer three years ago. Following a mastectomy and implant surgery, one of her implants ruptured, which led to lymphedema.

"It just lifts the belt away from my chest just a small amount so it doesn’t go tight across my left side and cause me pain," Ms Riley told News Corp.

It's a breach of the law and Ms Riley was fined $360. You can read the whole story here.

If you have trouble with seatbelts following treatment, please talk to your doctor. You may be able to make modifications to a seatbelt or be exempt from wearing it if you have a medical certificate.

Comments

• Brenda5
    Brenda5 Member Posts: 2,423
    edited May 2016

Sounds like she tampered with the clip and didn't just add a bit of padding under the belt. Yep she'd need a doctors certificate. Good the police spokesman is working with her though to resolve the matter. Perhaps they can come up with a legal way of doing it to reduce pain?