Post Op Bra ?

Options

Comments

• Hopes_and_Dreams
    Hopes_and_Dreams Member Posts: 760
    Options
    I also came back from surgery with a front closing bra - actually more like a straight jacket with lots of hooks and eyes. I had a 
    mastectomy with immediate implant and was told to wear the bra day and night for 6 weeks. I also ordered a Berlei which wasn't quite as comfortable. I basically just wore the Berlei bra while my surgical bra was being washed and dried.  Once I was able to wear a "normal" bra I found a K-Mart home brand, $10 soft with a nice wide band at the bottom which reduced the rub on my mastectomy scar under the breast. 
    10 months on I'm still wearing these bras during the day and a crop top for sleeping.
    Wishing you all the best,  Jane xx

• viking1
    viking1 Member Posts: 288
    Options
    Hi ladies, no I don't have a breast care nurse yet. I didn't know what a bra extender was...I'm learning!☺ Yes the extra dressings would be good to cushion. I wonder if I will have to stop wearing underwire bras in the future? All mine are except for the genii bra that's in one piece that you step into. Very comfy but if you're sweating it's hissy fit time! ☺
  • socoda
    socoda Member Posts: 1,767
    Options
    Hey @viking1, I was told by my surgeon not to wear underwires as I had mastectomy with implant and she told me it can lead to encapsulation issues (where tissue grows around implant and causes pain and problems) another very knowledgeable lady (bows to @primek) has cleared this up for me by advising it is in fact due to bacteria. Unfortunately I had already given my gorgeous underwires to my sister. If you are worried about the underwires you could always be a smarty like Jane @Hopes_and_Dreams who removed the underwire from her mastectomy side - too clever !!! Xx 
  • Unicornkisses
    Unicornkisses Member Posts: 402
    Options
    I was told no under wires for at least a month after lumpectomy surgery.
    Not that I would have wanted to wear them anyway, too hard on the stitch lines.

I also understand that if you are having lymph nodes out, it becomes important to have your bras professionally fitted to help prevent lymph oedema.

Your surgeons office may have a brochure for the breast care nurse contact, otherwise you can find them yourself and contact them. McGrath Foundation breast care nurse. They should have a listing for one in your area, otherwise ring your surgeons office and ask the receptionist.
    They will usually come and visit you in hospital after surgery and as mentioned, will organise the care kit.

• Zoffiel
    Zoffiel Member Posts: 3,372
    Options
    Check out maternity bras--yes I know it's sort of shitty ironic, but they are soft and there are heaps of front opening ones, including sports versions that you won't have to pull over your head.
  • Rapunzel
    Rapunzel Member Posts: 32
    Options
    I was a little sad, but also happy, to discover that my local BigW had a whole rack of Post Operative bras.  Nice wide straps, four pockets inside each cup for padding depending on where you need it.  I've found it really works for me, I bought 'up' a cup and size and have used some small padding to help the breast that wasn't operated on to fit.  My other breast is starting to reduce in size so I'm about to go back to my usual.
  • viking1
    Options
    Ah, my poor underwires lol they ere giving me a lift! I will do as you say unicornkisses and keep getting them professionally fitted. Will contact the breast nurse as never even crossed my mind re lymph nodes!Zoffiel it is funny as they said this ductal cell carcinoma is higher in women who didn't breastfeed ... I have no bubs tho I would have liked them! So at least I can experience the maternity bra!!!
  • Rapunzel
    Rapunzel Member Posts: 32
    Options
    Exciting update!!! My lovely sister has found a website called Bras Without Wires dot com.  They got started due to the founding lady creating her own bra during her cancer diagnosis, she got the hump because she couldn't find a wire free bra that was really, really comfortable and appealing.  They are expensive but I've just finished devouring the website, reading about their soft cotton lining, fitting guides, etc. etc.  They look lovely too.  I'm saving my pennies and getting myself a decent, sexy, comfortable bra g@dammit!!! 
  • nikkid
    nikkid Member Posts: 1,766
    Options
    I've got a  couple of their bras @Rapunzel and love them. I'll get more once I have my final tweaking op....the cotton is so soft and they really are appealing.
  • TonyaM
    TonyaM Member Posts: 2,836
    Options
    After my mastectomy,I couldn't wear a bra for about 6 weeks because of seroma and discomfort. I wore singlets/stretchy cami and loose shirts that buttoned up front. Maybe a scarf for good measure so as to disguise lopsided look.After that I wore the Berlei post surgery bra with a fitted prosthesis.
  • melclarity
    melclarity Member Posts: 3,502
    Options
    I also have a contact for a lady in Port Melbourne, my Wounds Plastic Nurse gave me her number. She specializes in all sorts of bras I think, from post surgery to post reconstruction, mastectomy, I'm going to make an appt to see her and will report back. :) x
  • nikkid
    nikkid Member Posts: 1,766
    Options
    Let us know how it goes @melclarity - sounds brilliant!

• melclarity
    melclarity Member Posts: 3,502
    Options
    @nikkid yes amongst it all yesterday I forgot to mention it until I saw you post here LOL. I think she is a little pricey too, but am interested as she fits you. Right now am wearing the Amoena bra which is great, I actually like it, but she has nicer versions apparently, plus I want one for post 6 weeks, but I cannot wear underwire so hope I can get the support!!! Definitely let you know when I get an appt. xx 
  • Unicornkisses
    Unicornkisses Member Posts: 402
    Options
    The Amoena website has some on special right at the moment.
    The only problem is that not every style is the right fit, even in the same brand.
    I spent over an hour with the lovely fitter in David Jones yesterday trying on many Amoena bras and would take a different size or cup size in practically every style. She did warn me that would be the case.
    She has written down the ones that did fit the best for me to try when my soft form prostheses comes. They tended to pull sideways and hurt without one so I couldn't tell if they were comfortable.
    Some had a band across the cup that rubbed on the portacath, others came too high under the arm and I had to go down a cup or band size. It was very confusing.
    I can see I am going to have to try them on before buying every time.
  • viking1
    Options
    With my lumpectomy and right axillary clearance I tried the cotton front opening bras with the hooks and eyes first. They were okay at night. I bought one from Target that was labelled as the softest non underwire and it's okay but tight at the back ... I probably need an extender piece. The most comfy is a maternity bra I got made from a soft lycra. I got it a while back as a new item in an op shop as it looked nice but didn't realise it was a maternity bra till now!