Regaining fitness

Options
primek
primek Member Posts: 5,392
edited September 2016 in Health and wellbeing

I am ectsatic that I finally managed to get to the pool today. I've  finished  my 4 cycles  of AC chemo and each cycle has been quite  different. Cycle 1 sick for a week  then was able to do some pool exercises and a gym session with light weights and felt good.

Cycle 2 I was sick for 2 weeks then was exhausted and just kept crying until cycle 3

Cycle 3 I tolerated a lot better but had my port put in  under anasthetic and had to wait until the scar healed enough to go in water. I never regained enough energy to go to the gym. ..but did manage to do some sorting out around the house.

Cycle 4. ..again down for 9 days. ..had some day out trips where I walked a bit...almost slow motion like but at least moving. Yesterday I was sobbing with mental and physical exhaustion and then here I am turning a corner today. Off to the pool and did water jogging, kickboard and some breast stroke for an hour. Not at high energy but at least moving. If I can get moving daily I might even regain some fitness.

Tomorrow I will attempt an aquafit class.

In 2 weeks I start taxol weekly for 12 weeks and herceptin 3 weekly for 12 months. I am truly hoping the bone pain won't bring me back down and that I can start doing regular  exercise again. I miss the gym and seeing people and just getting all hot and sweaty then having a good stretch. I wasn't  worried until the McGrath breast nurse suggested I might need endone or something. ..uuuugh. I just want to feel normal.

I was so inspired by the catalyst program on exercise with chemo I really want to do this. I wish my body would just cooperate. I really hope less bloat, wind and nausea on taxol too....which will make it easier to leave the house. I may even be able to return to work at least part time if I can improve my fitness and drag my emotional head back to being centred again.

How are you all going with your fitness and chemo?

Kath  x

Comments

• WavingNotDrowning
    WavingNotDrowning Member Posts: 48
    edited May 2016
    Options

Well done for getting out there.  Congratulations on finishing AC and picking up the pieces.  I too had 4 AC and started weekly taxol/Herceptin last Monday.  Nurses have assured me weekly tax is "easier" than AC.  Fingers crossed :). Unfortunately my port had to be removed and now have PICC which is "settling".  Hope to get out tomorrow for walk.  Thanks for the inspiration.  Cheers, Helen

• jd48
    jd48 Member Posts: 484
    edited May 2016
    Options

Kath so glad your AC days are behind you and you are able to exercise again.

This post has inspired me definitely and will be trying very hard to get exercise in wherever I can in the next 9 weeks. Determined to get out and about as much as possible and become a couch potato once AC starts.

Thank you for the inspiration

Jel.

• ScorpionQueen
    ScorpionQueen Member Posts: 768
    edited May 2016
    Options

I think the important thing here is to do what you are able to....Don't expect to be like any one else! If all you can manage is a small walk to the letter box. GO YOU!

I'm on my 5th of 6 cycle (Docetaxel) and tell you it's knocked me for a six! I can't even think about excercising....

• primek
    edited May 2016
    Options

I am hoping the paclitaxol is less traumatic than the docetaxel. Apparently the regime is 1/3 strength given weekly rather than 3 weekly as it reduces the side effects. ..fingers crossed...they keep telling me it's  easier than AC...so I live in hope. Kath x

• Scared Mum
    Scared Mum Member Posts: 169
    edited May 2016
    Options

Hi Ladies,

Nat has just finished Taxol and it is ssssooooo much better that AC  we nearly have the normal Nat back lol she still gets a bit tired but not half as much as on AC and less side effects Yah!!  

Ask your doc for a referral to the excise physiologist that is what the catalyst program was on about Nat has been going for a few months now and can actually help lift the shopping now and make it around the shops with out finding her sitting on a shelf like she was a for sale item hahaha!!  you get a few for free and then it was like $10 well worth it  

Cheers Sue xx

• primek
    edited May 2016
    Options

Thanks Sue.

I used an exercise physiologist to assist me return to exercise after I had some bizarre unknown cause of extreme fatigue and tingling in my arms. They never quite figured it out but probably a combo of bulging disk, compression on nerves of my big boobs and depression. She set me up with a program and I am using this again, although I have noted once through my worse times on chemo my exercise tolerance is reasonable, its just the muscle weakness I need to work on lile before. A completed an aquafit class today and was astounded I managed the whole class. I really hope the taxol isn't  taxing, lol.