Made it all the way!

Options
Deanne
Deanne Member Posts: 2,163
edited May 2016 in Day to day

Hi everyone,

Some of you may have been aware of my challenge to raise money for the Cancer Council - The Ultimate Journey for a Cure. Trekking to the Base Camp of Mt Everest.

Just a quick update to say I made it all the way alongside my wonderful hubby. In the end it has been an even more challenging journey as the leader of our trek, a breast cancer survivor herself, is once again facing a battle with cancer.

The trek has been a two year challenge due to the earthquake in Nepal last year. Altogether we have so far raised around $30,000 with money still being donated.

So, 3 years after being diagnosed (13-05-2013) with Stage 3 Breast Cancer I am so amazed that I have been able to achieve this goal.

Will update with photos when we get back to Australia. Sending hugs to all who need one today. You will get through this and life can be good again. You just need to take it one step at a time.

Deanne xxx

Comments

• Michelle_R
    Michelle_R Member Posts: 901
    edited May 2016
    Options

Congratulations to you both!  Knew you would blitz it!  Looking forward to the photos when you get back.  And $30,000 for the Cancer Council - that is such a huge achievement - well done. xxxx Michelle

• Ann-Marie
    Ann-Marie Member Posts: 1,142
    edited May 2016
    Options

You don't understand how excited I am reading this right now :) WOW! Can't wait to see photos and share this with the rest of the BCNA team. Congratulations Deanne xxx

• LITHGOW1950
    LITHGOW1950 Member Posts: 314
    edited May 2016
    Options

Wow Deanne congratulations on the trek and raising the funds for BC. You are an amazing person.

take care,

Anne-Marie ??

• deh
    deh Member Posts: 79
    edited May 2016
    Options

Awesome achievement, Deanne.

Amazing fundraising effort, too.

Enjoy the rest of your trip - safe travels back home.

Di

• iserbrown
    iserbrown Member Posts: 5,552
    edited May 2016
    Options

Fantastic!  What an achievement!

Sending you a virtual hug, take care and safe travels

Christine xx

• Deanne
    edited May 2016
    Options

Thank-you everyone. The real inspiration for us comes from our dear friend who today faces the beginning of an even tougher journey. She will undergo a 14 hour procedure to remove a tumor from her cheek. She will lose part of her cheek bone, sinus cavities and palette. The tumor is also wrapped around her optic nerve. This trek was about raising money to find better outcomes for all cancer patients. We never imagined that it would it would get so personal again for us in this way. Our hearts and thoughts are with her as she once again fights this terrible disease. 

• Deanne
    edited May 2016
    Options

Forgot to add, this amazing lady, our trek leader, has (together with her husband) raised over $250,000 for cancer research. She was the first breast cancer survivor to summit Mt Everest. Now she has another mountain to climb. Makes us even more determined to raise money to help the experts find a cure. Look at what has been achieved in the last few years. We ARE getting closer.

• Michelle_R
    Michelle_R Member Posts: 901
    edited May 2016
    Options

Praying for Sharon xx

• rowdy
    rowdy Member Posts: 1,165
    edited May 2016
    Options

Congratulations Deanne, such a  amazing achievement for you and your husband. So sorry to hear about your friend Cancer is such a nasty word. All our lives are changed by this terrible disease, everyday is a blessing my trip was tough but I know that others have a tougher trip than me. Sending a hug to everyone  that needs it today.

Some how we all have to get something positive out of this trip and you have well done xxx

• Robyn W
    Robyn W Member Posts: 1,932
    edited May 2016
    Options
  • mum2jj
    mum2jj Member Posts: 4,330
    edited May 2016
    Options

Well done Deanne,

I missed this post the other day.  You should be so proud of yourself. Especially as it was many more obstacles than you ever imagined to get there.  You go girl!!

I was thinking of your friend the other day as she went through her surgery.  My daughter is part of a group at her school in Cairns who help raise funds and awareness for breast cancer ladies in Cairns.  Sharon is their ambassador.  I was lucky enough to hear her speak last year at their girls night in.  She took the time to email the girls last week before her surgery.  A testament to the amazing person she is.  She is also a good friend of my friend who was a breast care nurse in Cairns and she has kept me updated. 

The girls at Jordan's school and many other people in Cairns are praying for her.

She will be rightly proud of you guys going ahead and completing your trek.

So thrilled for you and praying for a good outcome for Sharon.

hugs

Paula xxxx