Introduce yourself!

Cosette
Cosette Member Posts: 637
edited May 2016 in General discussion

Whether you're a new member or an old member, I'd like to get to you know a little better. If you've been here a while, we may know a bit about your diagnosis and your journey, but you are much more than your beast cancer. So, tell us a little about yourself. Do you have kids, grandkids? What do you like to do? What's your hidden talent?

I'll break the ice. I'm the Community Manager here so I spend a good chunk of my day reading your stories - never a dull day, I tell ya. I live with my wonderful partner and his dog, which is now my dog ;-) I like bushwalking and reading and I'm a student of the African drum (djembe). How about you?

EDIT: This thread has been so popular that it's now crashing so let's continue the introductions in a new thread.

Comments

• LeeLyn
    LeeLyn Member Posts: 2
    edited April 2016

Hi Cosette,

I am new to the website. I live with my husband of 32 years, our daughter and our 2 new wonderful dogs (adopted from the Lost dogs Home) in January.

I found a lump in my breast back in mid February, had a lumpectomy and sentinel node biopsy at the end of Feb and started chemo last Monday.

So far so good. 

Take care

LeeLyn

• Cosette
    edited April 2016

Welcome, LeeLyn. I'm glad you found us and I hope you're getting good support here. If you haven't already done so, check out the young women's group. There will be other women there travelling a similar road.

• angg66
    angg66 Member Posts: 188
    edited April 2016

Hi Cosette,

My name is Ang. I am a 49 year old wife and mother of two young children. I was diagnosed with breast cancer in late 2012 in my left breast. After a successful round of surgery, chemo and radiotherapy, life went on as normal until last week. After a routine CT scan, they found secondary breast cancer in my liver and the lymph nodes in my chest. I am on Femara for the time being and need to wait until the next CT scan in July to see whether the Femara works. Fingers crossed!!

I am struggling a bit with the diagnosis and the impact on my life (and that of my family).

My passion (besides the family) is travelling and AFL.

• Cosette
    edited April 2016

Totally understandable that you're struggling, Ang. It's not an easy thing. I hope you find the support you need. I'm crossing my fingers for you too :-)

AFL, what team?

• iserbrown
    iserbrown Member Posts: 5,540
    edited April 2016

Hi Ang - goodness!  I do hope the Femara is working. 

Please take care

Christine xx

• buzzine
    buzzine Member Posts: 2
    edited April 2016

Hi Cosette,

I'm 54 and mother of 4, step mum 2,  mother in law of 4,and grandmother of 6.I was diagnosed with stage 3 triple negative breast cancer in my left breast.June 12th 2015, I've finished 6 round chemo and 30 rounds radiation, and have had genetic testing. I'm know waiting for result,to see if have double mastectomy and key - hole surgery or  just fix up surgery.Hoping after all the bad news I can just get one good negative.I sit each day hoping I don't have to tell my children and Husband any more bad news.

Breast Cancer is so emotional. Thankfully the good days are more than the bad days know.I have met so many amazing ladies on my journey and joined your site very early on, have participated in all the free yoga ,massage etc my local cancer support centre offers which has helped immensely.

I love to sew,knit and read, which I'm doing a lot of.

Janine WA

• Cosette
    edited April 2016

It's great that you stay so active, Janine. If you're not already a member, be sure to check out the active and well group here.

• Cook65
    Cook65 Member Posts: 733
    edited April 2016

Hi Cosette

i'm Karen. I am very soon to be 52 years old. I am married with a 22 year old and a 20 year old sons that still live at home. We live in Lilydale, Melbourne.  I also have an "adopted" 21 year old daughter and an 8 week old grandson who live in Qld.  Until last week when we lost our lovely old dog (he was nearly 17) we also had our two dogs. Now sadly, just the one dog, Pepper.   I work part time in an office doing accounts these days. I was diagnosed 23/04/14 with grade 3 idc her2+ hormone negative. I had 3 tumours. I've had a lumpectomy, 6 months of chemo, 33 radiotherapy sessions and 12 months of herceptin. I am currently 9 months post treatment.  I enjoy baking, gardening and being with my family and friends. To be honest, I'm not sure what my hidden talent is. I still contribute on the forum as I received such wonderful support from the other members and I feel it is important to give back. Karen.

• Mumof2jr
    Mumof2jr Member Posts: 8
    edited April 2016

Hi ang, my first diagnosis was secondary breast cancer, 12 months tomorrow.  Am on Herceptin and pertuzamab with tamoxifen.  I just go day by day, have my bad days but I think it's ok to have them as they make me stronger and more determined.  Take care and look after yourself xx

Karen

• angg66
    edited April 2016

Thank you Christine. xx

• angg66
    edited April 2016

Hi Karen 

Thanks for your response. I too am learning to take it one day at a time. The last few days have been good as I am trying to keep things as normal as possible. Take care.

Ang xxx

• mum2jj
    mum2jj Member Posts: 4,327
    edited April 2016

Hi, I am and oldie.  I am a two time triple negative survivor...YAY :)

I live with my hubby and two kids aged 15, and 16.  So we are living through year 12 with one of them at the moment.  I work part-time as a nurse and spend most of my time on the site helping admin the Breast Reconstruction Online Group.  I do still try and come over to the main forum when I get time where it is great to see some old faces and meet the newbies and I am always so grateful to see the care and support we give each other.

Since my diagnosis I try and walk as much as I can, eat as healthy as I can and am a self confessed Green Juicer...

My weakness is dark chocolate and I am trying hard to get more sleep but have to admit to being a bit of a night owl. I love the peace and quite of the house late at night :)

Paula xxxx

• narsan
    narsan Member Posts: 16
    edited April 2016

Hi Cossette

My name is Narelle, I  am new to this web site, I went for my normal 2 year check up only to have a call back.  I was diagnosed (exactly 8 months to the day my husband of 51 years passed away with renal cancer) with low grade cancer, which has been removed, my sentinel node was removed  and was clear of any cancer but at the same time it was discovered that I also had DCIS, grade 1.  I have decided not to have a full mastectomy, as it was hard enough with the two lumpectomies when you are by yourself. Am waiting to hear when I start my radiation.

• narwoo
    narwoo Member Posts: 30
    edited April 2016

Hi

My name is Narelle as well. I am aged 52, divorced with a 22 yr old daughter at Uni. I work full time as a social worker in a state govt dept. I was diagnosed early in March 2016 with a DCIS and IDC (provisional stage 2). After an MRI and biopsy they also found cancer in 1 lymph node. I have been booked in to have surgery ( lumpectomy and axially clearance) on 28/4/16. Not sure whether I will need chemo or not but will need radio.  I am sorry to hear about your recent loss Narelle it must make this time exceptionally hard for you. 

I also wish I had a supportive partner to help me through this but I can't change the situation. Even if we were still together he would have been emotionally and physically unavailable anyway.   We do have an amicable relationship for my daughter's sake. Just means I rely on other people for support. 

• Catscrapcats
    Catscrapcats Member Posts: 86
    edited April 2016

Hi, my name is Maria and I am 54 years old. Married for 33 years with 4 grownup children and a very loyal 7 year old border collie. I was diagnosed last August with grd 2 hormone + lump after a visit to the Breast Screen Bus. I consider myself very fortunate in that I had my last screen 4 years previous to that after deciding to not attend after the mess up with the reading of the screenings. Nobody could feel my 1.5cm lump so only the xray picked it up. I had a lumpectomy, 3 nodes removed and 30 radio treatments following with 5 years of Femara. I love scrapbooking, patchwork and gardening. Although I am struggling a little with the gardening cause my breast is still quite sore. This is a good network to belong to and get answers and support from. Thankyou,

Maria