Genetic links?

MeganD
MeganD Member Posts: 2
edited April 2016 in Health and wellbeing

First forgiveness for those who belong to the Facebook group - this post is pretty much the same. I'm keen for information! This is my first post - I heard something tonight and decided I needed to throw an information net out there. First, a little about me. I am 41 with three beautiful boys. I went for my annual mammogram in January of this year. The suspected fibroidenomas that gave me 'lumpy boobs' had grown significantly. This year I went for a tissue biopsy instead of least year's FNB. I had surgery on 21 March to remove a PT from each breast. Both turned out to be benign, but I am having a wider excision next Monday 18th. Now to what I heard tonight. My sister, who turned 40 in March has had a very sore breast. She has been diagnosed as having fibroidanomas in the past. She had a mammogram and got the results tonight - there is a lumpy mass in her breast tissue that requires a biopsy. The GP she saw had never heard of PT. Is there a know genetic link? I had a cousin die from 'breast cancer' years ago at age 25, but I don't know what kind. I am so worried for my sister. She is in pain and it is scary!

Comments

• katie76
    katie76 Member Posts: 103
    edited April 2016

Hi Megan, I am not sure if there is a genetic link and have not come across any research to suggest that there is. I am along with some other ladies around the world with phyllodes involved with a genetic study regarding sarcoma however I don't think there are many findings as yet. I also have dense very lumpy breast tissue so there may be some correlation and dense lumpy breasts do tend to run in families? I hope both you and your sister are ok. If you have any other questions please let me know.

Cheers Katie. 

• MeganD
    MeganD Member Posts: 2
    edited April 2016

Thanks Katie. She has her tissue biopsy today... So we can only wait and see. She is far less nervous about it than I am!

• savvii
    savvii Member Posts: 1
    Hi Megan,

I don't know if you still check into this forum but I saw your post today. Genetic links where identified in 2015.  My 5cm+ Borderline Phyllodes was removed from my left breast in Sept 2015. Since then I have been taking a very keen interest in the genetic links. As it's so rare few studies exist, but the studies that do exist are valuable. I obtained a raw data file of my DNA using a genealogy serve of all things and ran the data through the American medical wiki 'Prometheus' a respected wiki that is linked to the most significant peer reviewed medical data bases in the world. Sure enough, I have both genes identified in the Michigan study. See the second link I have supplied here. In addition I am also carrying the standard cancer genes BRAC1 and BRAC2...... 
  • primek
    primek Member Posts: 5,392
    edited July 2017