As if a cancer diagnosis ain't enough!

Options
MandyC
MandyC Member Posts: 3
edited November 2016 in Community news and events

The worst, biggest, most drastic impact of my breast cancer diagnosis, was the awful treatment and discrimination I received from my employer at the time. I was teaching in a Victorian secondary school. My whole breast cancer journey was totally dominated by the discrimination and its effects and trying to seek justice. It took over 12 months with a successful case through the Victorian Equal Opportunity and Human Rights Commission. I was also disappointed and stymied by responses I received from the Cancer Council, and yes, the BCNA. Nevertheless, I kept going and am happy I did. Almost immediately after I received the appalling treatment from my employer, a report on discrimination of cancer sufferers was released, reported on the ABC news. Researchers at the McCabe Centre for Law and Cancer in Melbourne collated data from an online survey of breast cancer survivors as well as material from a support helpline. Survey's key findings: Discrimination is a problem for some cancer sufferers in the workplace Some cancer sufferers fear taking time off work Cancer patients find it difficult to obtain insurance Anecdotal evidence of people being denied insurance Very few people take action about unfair treatment I applaud BCNA for finally getting to grips withthis issue, as reported in the latest Beacon. - See more at: [link removed by BCNA].

Tagged:

Comments

• mona63
    mona63 Member Posts: 237
    edited March 2016
    Options

Thanks for posting this.  It sure isn't all support  and love out there when I was told initially I would need chemo I asked HR of a health service if I could take 3 months off leave without pay   I was told no and this 9 years with the. Employer! As you say a lot of people don't argue the point as let's face it you have other issues.  Good on you for raising this. 

• MandyC
    edited March 2016
    Options

Thank you Mona,

Good on you for your reply. It was only because I didn't have to have chemo or radio that I eventually had the strength to fight for justice. As the report I quoted states, most people who suffer workplace discrimination and/or bullying and just plain nastiness, are too crook and disempowered to do anything about it. They've got enough on their plate just trying to survive. I hope BCNA really tackle this as an issue as I know its more common than people think.

• liveanew
    liveanew Member Posts: 1
    edited March 2016
    Options

Wow that sounds awful Mandy. You were fortunate not to have had chemo or radio. I'd be interested to understand what the nature of the discrimination from your employer was and what treatment you did require. 

• Cook65
    Cook65 Member Posts: 733
    edited March 2016
    Options

Hi Mandy

After 13 months of treatment my employer tried to demote me. After 4 weeks of legal letters, nastiness etc they sacked me. I had worked for them for 8 years. I had 3 weeks to lodge a claim with fair work. Cancer council provided me with pro bono legal representation. They said I had grounds for unfair dismissal, discrimination, employment protections, I should have been made redundant not sacked and in total I missed out on $20,000.00 in entitlements. I was still having treatment at the time and was just too tired to fight them. I was still fighting for my life. I resent that they have gotten away with it. I resent what they did to me and I'm so angry with my self for not taking it further but I know at the time I just couldn't have.  I broke out in shingles and cried non stop for a week.  To be honest, my employer no longer saw me as an asset but a liability. I think they were banking on the fact that I was too tired to fight them and I'm sure there are many others in the same situation I was. I'm so glad that you were able to fight on. Good for you. Karen

• MandyC
    edited April 2016
    Options

Hello Karen,

Thankyou for your reply to my post. I feel your anger mate!  Don't beat yourself up for not being physically and mentally capable of going into battle. Hopefully BCNA will call for members who have suffered workplace discrimination on the basis of having cancer to register with the research project that they have flagged in the Beacon. It might give people who have had no justice at least the chance to have a voice. My situation was I was on a shot term teaching contract and received my diagnosis a few days after starting. 2 hours after leaving the doctor the boss accused me of having known I had cancer before I started so I could get the sick leave !!! Crazy eh! Nevertheless it still shocked me and really knocked me around to have my credibility, honesty and reputation so insulted and smeared. I eventually took it to the Human Rights Commission. Because it was a contract the Cancer Council legal unit wouldn't back me because they saw no work law problem. Just that process was draining, trying to find someone to recognise the wrong. Thank heavens we do have institutions there for some redress. It took a long time but it was worth it. Again, I was only able to fight because I didn't have any treatment so recovered from surgery and was ok. I hope your ok, and have another job. Number 1 is to look after yourself and don't let the b......s get you down.

All the best

Mandy

• Cosette
    Cosette Member Posts: 637
    edited April 2016
    Options

Hi everyone. This is your friendly Community Manager. As the link in the original post wasn't working properly, I've removed it.

For more information on this, be sure to check out the latest issue of The Beacon. What? You don't get The Beacon? Go to My Publications and subscribe! It's free :-)

• Cook65
    Cook65 Member Posts: 733
    edited April 2016
    Options

Thanks Mandy. I had 6 months chemo, 33 radiotherapy sessions as well as 12 months of herceptin. Somehow I managed to work part time throughout the process. It's disgusting that people can treat us so poorly. As you say, as if cancer is not enough. I got a part time job 3 weeks after getting the sack. My new job is not a management position and is not paid anywhere near what I was on but it's a job, they are supportive of my need to take time off for appointments and it is literally 2 minutes drive from home. So for the moment, it is serving it's purpose well. I admit to struggling to let go of the resentment that I feel towards my previous employer and the fact they they have gotten off Scott free. Me on the other hand have sufferred greatly emotionally and financially. It is just so wrong.  It gives me hope when I hear of others standing up for themselves. Take care. Karen