My journey

Options
Al
Al Member Posts: 325
edited June 2011 in General discussion

I began my journey when I was diagnosed on the 26th May this year. At first  I felt shock and anger as things were finally going well with work and I was in a job that I loved with a fantastic staff. As time has gone on I become more accepting especially after my surgery which I had 9 days ago. People keep telling me how strong I am but I have my moments often in private. I'm finding that the relationship with my husband is moving into unchartered waters - feelings and events that we have never had to encounter before and both of us are finding it hard to communicate these.

Comments

• Al
    edited March 2015
    Options

Thanks for your message Dette. That's comforting to know that I'm not alone. I get my results of the surgery today. I consider myself one of the lucky ones as I think I will only be offered radiotherapy. I had a lumpectomy and 1 lymph node removed on 9th June. Your lucky with your surgeon. I have found mine very clinical but I suppose it is early days yet. My group of girlfriends is beginning to slowly find out. The grapevine is get bigger! The amount of messages of support has been amazing. I think they are more shocked than I am! I'm looking forward to continuing my journey on this network and thanks for your supportive words and good luck to you.

All the very best

Al xx

• TonyaM
    TonyaM Member Posts: 2,836
    edited March 2015
    Options

Good luck with your results today.Just give yourselves some time as it all happens so quickly and you don't have a chance to take it all in.It's like no other surgery where you have it and then you get better.Breast cancer surgery affects BOTH of you ,physically,emotionally and sexually.Treatments stretch out before you and it's daunting.Husbands try to be the "rock"for us and don't always reveal their feelings.You need to communicate and be honest otherwise we start assuming stuff .It's easy to feel undesirable when your husband is only trying to be careful not to bump you in bed for example. Anyway this is a good site to vent your feelings as we have all been through or are on this journey and understand.

Tonya xx

• Al
    edited March 2015
    Options

Thanks Tonya. Great words of comfort. Again I feel like one of the lucky ones. I saw my breast surgeon today for my results. Someone is definitely looking after me. I had 2 grade 3 cancers but the 1 lymph node that was taken was clear! I am now one that HAD breast cancer but the journey I know isn't over yet. I still have to wait for a call from the oncologist to discuss treatment options. Phew! One step down many to go! Husband has been great and wants to be actively involved in my treatment. He is a fly in/fly out worker so it will hopefully fit in around his roster. In the meantime I feel great and am looking forward to getting back to work on Monday.

Thanks again for your kind words. Truly a great site!

Al xx