Orbost Relay for Life

Options
[Deleted User]
[Deleted User] Orbost, VictoriaPosts: 0
edited November 2016 in Community news and events

Hi Everyone, our little rural town of Orbost held their Relay for Life over 24 hours this weekend. What a wonderful community can do, population of just under 2000 people raised just over $37000 for cancer research and programs that support individuals and their families affected by cancer. I participated in their twilight candle ceremony last night, and it was an absolute privilege to light one of the candles for the ceremony. So excited for my community's effort, Trace ??????

Tagged:

Comments

• emmyp
    emmyp Member Posts: 53
    edited November 2015
    Options

Wow what an awesome result! Well done Trace Xx

• Jennybutter
    Jennybutter Member Posts: 156
    edited November 2015
    Options

Hi Trace,

What an amazing effort on behalf of your community they should be so proud ?  I am so glad you enjoyed your night with them.

Warm wishes,

Jen ?? ?? x 

• [Deleted User]
    edited November 2015
    Options

Thanks Em, it was a very emotional night, but a privilege to take part. ??

• [Deleted User]
    edited November 2015
    Options

Thanks Jenny, a good friend of ours passed away with pancreatic cancer about 3 months ago. She was there as part of the candle ceremony as well. It was good to do the ceremony get her. There was also a 9 year old girl affected by cancer who lit a candle with her family. Very touching evening, and very special. ??

• [Deleted User]
    edited November 2015
    Options

I meant our friends wife was there, it was her husband who passed away. That man who passed away was one of my husbands best friends, so that was ard for my hubby too. 

• lrb_03
    lrb_03 Member Posts: 1,267
    edited November 2015
    Options

Sometimes I think small communities do better than big cities. What an experience that must have been for you, & so emotional on so many levels

Take care, Lyn

• [Deleted User]
    edited November 2015
    Options

Thanks Lyn, I really think that it's so healthy to talk with those who are supporting you along the way. Today I was talking with people about how wonderful the look good, feel better workshops are. The people that I talked with were walkers for the relay, but didn't know about the supports available. They were so excited that their efforts were going towards not only research, but support programs for people affected by cancer. Aren't people wonderful ? It gives you faith with all the violence going on in Paris, that your community really cares and want to fight back against this bastard of a disease that takes our health and our confidence. How fantastic that we can raise money to pay a dynamic scientist to research for a cure for cancer. Hopefully they will increase the survival rate from 65 percent to 100 percent very soon. It's great to dream and chase rainbows. Sending you a big cuddle xxx

• lrb_03
    lrb_03 Member Posts: 1,267
    edited November 2015
    Options

You're so right Tracey.

Sending cuddles back your way, xx