Pinktober, Should I hide under the bed?

Options
Pink66
Pink66 Dragonfly Posts: 366
edited November 2016 in Community news and events

Welcome to the crazy world that is Pinktober. I have been dealing with this month for 11 years now and 3 of those I have been living with SBC.

There is so much that is misguided and misrepresented in this month but there is also so much good that is being done. So many things that need changing and many that just need to be highlighted.. People have amazing levels of emotion this month because it is all right there 'in your face'. 

Many people really just want everything breast cancer to disappear..  and that is ok too. It is just a little hard to avoid.  Others jump in boots and all and that is OK too..

I have tried to remove the emotion from the subject and trust me it is actually harder than you may think.. But this is how I marry research to the need for 'real and necessary' awareness and not pink fluffy rubbish that achieves very little if anything at all.

Research Cannot Survive Without Awareness

http://wp.me/p3O6YT-vL

Tagged:

Comments

• wendy55
    wendy55 Member Posts: 774
    edited October 2015
    Options

HI pink 66,

Thank you for your words of wisdom, this is my 2 year of October, being Breast Cancer Awareness Month, and yes, I still dont know quite what to make of it, yes, like you I have ABC, and so long as money is being raised for research, I am happy to go along with it, October 13th has now been added as Secondary Breast Cancer Awareness Day, again most people just dont know how to deal with this form of the disease, we just have to Carry on and Be Calm as the saying goes,

Sunshine and Rainbows to all the lovely brave ladies who have any form of this horrible disease,

wendy 55

• wendy_h67
    wendy_h67 Member, Dragonfly Posts: 466
    edited October 2015
    Options

I agree, that Oct. being Breast Cancer Awareness month, can be a bit confronting.  If it raises money for research & also help to remind women to have a mammogram, it must be a good thing.  I also have had SBC now for over 3 years.Having October 13th as secondary breast cancer awareness day is a little bit more confronting, but it is probably a good thing to let people know that there are treatments available so that we can go on living as best we can for as long as we can, even if it is a different way of living then before.

When there is support around from other women also with SBC , it makes life a little easy.

Wendy h 67