Day 3 after 1st chemo

Options
Maria333
Maria333 Member Posts: 191
edited May 2011 in Health and wellbeing

About 6 hours after my first chemo I felt completely disconnected from my body. I was most anxious - I did not like the feeling at all. I sat to do one of my guided meditations with my ipod I fell asleep and felt quite refreshed when I awoke. The first night about 10 hours after the chemo the nausea was kicking in, lucky I remembered the nausea meds, which also made me drowsy so I went back to sleep.

Day 3 I am feeling tired, i am slowly realising life will have to change. Spent the morning with friends having coffee, then running errands. Sat down to have a small lunch and a healthy drink. So tomorrow I will rest and hope to go to my regular pilates class on Friday. 

The nurse mentioned I must wear sunscreen due to the FEC meds. Silly me forgot so now I have a healthy glow. Warm rosy cheeks yesterday. So just remember the sunscreen.

I absolutely do not like the cold. So the IV was 3degrees. Lovely warm blankets over me in the big lounge chair. Heat pack on my arm helped too. My oncologist offered the cold cap, so my hair wouldn't fall out (clinical trial) but no thanks that was not going anywhere near my head, no way could i sit for six hours with ice on my head. Each to their own I say.

Today must be the coldest day ever I am wearing a beanie and my hair hasn't even fallen out yet.  Do not like the cold weather at all.

Comments

• Ann-Marie AK
    Ann-Marie AK Member Posts: 166
    edited March 2015
    Options

Hi Maria

You sound like you are doing well.  I felt disconnected at first too and was really anxious. There was no way I could have meditated as my mind could not focus. I'm glad meditation helped you. Is this something you have always done?  I've never had much luck with it - too impatient maybe.

Speaking of impatient - things do have to change as you need plenty of rest. Don't sweat the small stuff!  I now rest up when I can and conserve my energy for the important/fun things that I really want to do.  This speed hump has made me take stock of my life and now I really appreciate the simple things.  Perhaps this is one bonus in this crappy time.

I don't know much about the cold cap.  They don't use where I am having my treatment as they said it was not always successful, it's very uncomfortable and can be a real letdown if it doesn't work.  Not sure if I could have ice on my head for that long either.  I'd be interested to hear feedback from other ladies regarding the cold cap..

Take Care
    Keep Smiling
    Ann-Marie

• Ann-Marie AK
    Ann-Marie AK Member Posts: 166
    edited March 2015
    Options

Hi Maria

You sound like you are doing well.  I felt disconnected at first too and was really anxious. There was no way I could have meditated as my mind could not focus. I'm glad meditation helped you. Is this something you have always done?  I've never had much luck with it - too impatient maybe.

Speaking of impatient - things do have to change as you need plenty of rest. Don't sweat the small stuff!  I now rest up when I can and conserve my energy for the important/fun things that I really want to do.  This speed hump has made me take stock of my life and now I really appreciate the simple things.  Perhaps this is one bonus in this crappy time.

I don't know much about the cold cap.  They don't use where I am having my treatment as they said it was not always successful, it's very uncomfortable and can be a real letdown if it doesn't work.  Not sure if I could have ice on my head for that long either.  I'd be interested to hear feedback from other ladies regarding the cold cap..

Take Care
    Keep Smiling
    Ann-Marie

• Maria333
    Maria333 Member Posts: 191
    edited March 2015
    Options

I have decided that disconnected feeling was a shift in me. It lasted one night but I feel the meditation - even though I fell asleep during it really helped. So I just wanted to say it's like a movement from your own bodys energy source as the chemo takes over. So you are not disconnected just off balance - you will find your balance I'm sure.

I know everyone is different. I hated the haze part, I am so pleased you are feeling better and good on hubby for standing door guard.

• Wendy Stip
    Wendy Stip Member Posts: 57
    edited March 2015
    Options

I had the cold cap (blue smurf cap) for the first 4 sessions & my hair only thinned, but didn't all fall out. Silly me thought that I wouldn't need it for the 5th & 6th & found that my hair started to fall out in ernest. So take it from me, it does work! So if you do have the option, take it. You only have to wear it while the chemo drug goes in, not for the whole time. Initially it's cold & unconformable, but you soon forget it's there.

I'm done with the chemo so I really feel for you ladies just starting out. It's rough, but necessary.

Good luck. Wendy x0x0

• Wendy Stip
    Wendy Stip Member Posts: 57
    edited March 2015
    Options

I had the cold cap (blue smurf cap) for the first 4 sessions & my hair only thinned, but didn't all fall out. Silly me thought that I wouldn't need it for the 5th & 6th & found that my hair started to fall out in ernest. So take it from me, it does work! So if you do have the option, take it. You only have to wear it while the chemo drug goes in, not for the whole time. Initially it's cold & unconformable, but you soon forget it's there.

I'm done with the chemo so I really feel for you ladies just starting out. It's rough, but necessary.

Good luck. Wendy x0x0