Lymphoedema Information Forum in Sydney - Thursday 23 April from 2.30-5.30pm

Options
Lisa_BCNA
Lisa_BCNA Staff Posts: 140
edited September 2016 in Community news and events

Hi everyone,

It's Lisa from the Policy Team. I just wanted to let you know about a Lymphoedema Information Forum being held in Sydney on Thursday, 23 April from 2.30-5.30pm.

The event will include the following sessions:

• 2.30-3.30pm: Registration and Tea
  • 3.30-3.45pm: Demystifying the Myths (Prof Sharon Kilbreath)
  • 3.45-4.00pm: What Can I Do for Myself? (Ms Louise Koelmeyer)
  • 4.00-4.15pm: Sexuality Issues and Lymphoedema (Mr Caleb Winch)
  • 4.15-4.30pm: Lymph Node Transfer: Does it Work? (Dr Quan Ngo)
  • 4.30-4.50pm: Liposuction: Does it work? (A/Prof Hakan Brorson)
  • 4.50-5.30pm: Discussion (Speakers, Dr Thomas Lam, Dr Helen Mackie)

When/Where
Date: Thursday, 23 April 2015, 2.30-5.30pm
Where: MGSM Macquarie Park Executive Conference Centre, 99 Talavera Road, Macquarie Park
Parking: Available on-site at the Conference Centre

If you would like to attend, please RSVP by Monday, 19 April to Collette.Tonsen@mq.edu.au.

Tagged:

Comments

• Carol
    Carol Member Posts: 150
    edited July 2015
    Options

Dear all,

sorry I have missed all posts for a few months not having realised that the web redesign meant no longer get messages in my email so thought wasnt working!

yes I attended both the morning (therapists) session and the well attended afternoon consumer session. Prof Hakan presented the same presentation on his liposuction technique at both. Louise Koelmeyer gave slightly different presentations including a joint presentation regarding the economic survey outcomes. Not sure when the report will be published.

i went to the therapists session because I was interested to hear what Prof Fran Boyle from Sydney Uni and the Mater had to say regarding taxanes and lymphoedema since I was one of the early 2006 taxol patients and I have lymphoedema.

it seem to me my Lymphoedema is the result of a series triggers: radiation to axilla after all lymph nodes removed, stress leading to marital breakdown, sons February wedding at end of a hot summer with week of 45C temps preceeded by a preChristmas spider or tick bite requiring lancing on neck for 10 days perhaps also with overtones of what may be genetic predisposition to lymphoedema and if not post surgical eodema issues for years after knee and then breast surgery.

Always nice to see familiar faces at these events: the Lymphoedema Support Group of NSW faces; Louise, ANdrea, dr Helen Mackie ( who got a lymphoedema Mum award from from John Boyages) and others from our local treatment hospitals Mt Wilga, Lady Davidson, SAn and now Macquarie.

hope this helps,

Carol