Overwhelmed!

Natty
Natty Member Posts: 23
edited October 2016 in Newly diagnosed

Hi my name is Nat I am 42 years old and this is my first post....I have been reading others posts and collecting my thoughts for a few days before I decided to start my blog...so here goes!  I am newly diagnosed 12/02/15 and have an Invasive Ductal Carcinonma Grade 3 and am Triple Negative. Wow cant believe I got that out! 

I'm feeling very overwhelmed at the moment with a million thoughts going through my head and questions to ask, not to mention wanting to talk anyone who can give me advice or is going through what I am.

I have a booking for a Staging CT and Bone Scan on Monday and then see the Onologist to start Chemo before surgery (around 6 months chemo so I have been told) and then am having a double mastectomy with node clearance.

There it is my first post....phew I feel better that is out and done!

Comments

• JessicaV
    JessicaV Member Posts: 297
    edited March 2015

Hi, it is natural for it to feel quite overwhelmed at the beginning: it feels like life and death and it is all such a shockingly different place to be.

The chemo you are going to have is called neo-adjuvant chemo, and I have heard people who have had it saying how great it is being able to see the effect the chemo has on the tumor, watching it shrink and sometimes even vanish completely, which of course you can't do if they take out the tumor first and then do chemo. What drugs are they using for you?

The fear and overwhelm are natural, but learning how to settle yourself despite these things becomes an important job. Along with trying to understand all about breast cancer and all about what is going to happen next.  Early on, I had an old hand kindly point out to me that it is important to understand that whenever you think you know what the plan is and what to expect next, it is very probably going to change. The car will break down, your doctor will go on holiday and you see the breast nurse for some process instead of the doctor, or  the pathology result  from your surgery will show some new factor and suddenly they will add something to your treatment, or change it completely. So expect the unexpected, expect change, expect to be surprised, and maybe even keep a score of how often it happens each week.

You are now part of a wonderful group of women who are travelling with you or in front of you, who will be reading your blogs and care about how you are coping, and want to hear from you and support you. So if you wake in the night freaking out, go online and write to us about it, Someone will probably be there within a day or so, maybe even in the middle of the night, and your blog will brighten their sleepless night or tough day, and they will send back to you to brighten yours

All the best, keep in touch

Jessica

• Natty
    edited March 2015

Thankyou Anne,  just having you reply and saying you have the same is so comforting! I will be in touch and update how I go...any advice for the treatment journey I am about to embark on is most welcomed.

I will try and take it one day at a time for sure!

Thank you again,

Natty xxx

• Natty
    edited March 2015

Thank you Jessica...wow your words are so comforting at this time and already I am happy to say that I have made a great decision to start blogging!  As for the drugs they are going to giving me I am unsure as I have CT and bone scans Monday and then the Onologist with the Chemo plan Wednesday and then it is all systmes go!  So will keep the blog up to date with all that so I can connect with others and talk it out if I feel the need. 

One day at a time is defintley my motto at the moment and I will try to be ready for anything that comes my way...so I will expect the curve balls and use this amazing tool to help me get through this new journey I am about to embark on.

Thank you for your kind words and advice,

Natty xxx

• JT82
    JT82 Member Posts: 30
    edited March 2015
    I just wanted to say hi. My name is Jane, and I'm 32. Im IDC grade 3, but triple positive, and I have just started my chemo. The ladies on here are wonderful and will offer you so much support and advice. I have really gained a lot of comfort from their support, and Im sure you will too.
    Im still learning about this journey, but always happy to chat if you need an ear!

Take care x
  • Rosanna
    Rosanna Member Posts: 284
    edited March 2015

Hi Nat

Welcome here, but sorry.  I can imagine the "news" still fresh and you tried to organised and plan to it but no clue where to go....It's quite a true feeling to every woman here that we've came across, especially coping to the family life, the kids, the job and so on.

However, you come to a right place that you could obtain lots and lots information.  Even though everyone is different in background. No doubt waiting is the worst part ever, because don't know what to do next, can't do anything next, hold up all the plan, etc.   

I was disgonised 12/11/13, first surgery took place 9/12 and then 28/114, and chemo start until 7/3/14.  I read a lot from here and searching from interent.  Instead just sitting and wait and worry.  I put myself more proactive in like exercising, put in some meal to help with, like start some juicing, change my meal style like vegi/fruit came first, keep meal balance less meat, I also check my teething before chemo.  I encouraged myself more exercise and very important, keep up the mood, like I met more friends then before, meeting different people and chill.   No doubt you are going to have a battle, so well weapon yourself.

You may keep close to your GP, as they should have lots more information idea to suggest you.  (or find different doctor to seek answers about your concern)

I was putting the trust to all the Doctors (I am a public patient) and nowadays technology.  The only thing I could do myself is to cooperate, face it, and fixt it.  

Nat, take care  (big hugging xoxoxoxo)

Rosanna

• Natty
    edited March 2015

Thankyou Jane,  just having you reply and saying you have the same is so comforting! I will be in touch and update how I go...any advice for the treatment journey I am about to embark on is most welcomed.

I will try and take it one day at a time for sure!

Thank you again,

Natty xxx

• Natty
    edited March 2015

Thanks ladies I am so comforted by your words and now I have made contact I can start my new journey with my new friends...what more can I say than thank you xxx

• Natty
    edited March 2015

Thanks ladies I am so comforted by your words and now I have made contact I can start my new journey with my new friends...what more can I say than thank you xxx

• Blanche
    Blanche Member Posts: 8
    edited March 2015

Hi Natty so sorry to hear that you are on this journey. I fully understand how overwhelmed you must feel, I know the feeling only too well.

I am going for surgery next week for the second time, was diagnosed on the 5 Jan 15 and it has been a nightmare ever since. The best thing that has come from it is the support from wonderful ladies like those on this forum.

It has been such a comfort to be able to reach out to other women in a similar boat to be able to ask questions and read others stories.

I hope with time you will feel less overwhelmed, I have decided to do more excercise which makes me feel that I am doing something to help myself conquer bc.

Take care

Blanche

• Blanche
    Blanche Member Posts: 8
    edited March 2015

Hi Natty so sorry to hear that you are on this journey. I fully understand how overwhelmed you must feel, I know the feeling only too well.

I am going for surgery next week for the second time, was diagnosed on the 5 Jan 15 and it has been a nightmare ever since. The best thing that has come from it is the support from wonderful ladies like those on this forum.

It has been such a comfort to be able to reach out to other women in a similar boat to be able to ask questions and read others stories.

I hope with time you will feel less overwhelmed, I have decided to do more excercise which makes me feel that I am doing something to help myself conquer bc.

Take care

Blanche

• Hazel M
    Hazel M Member Posts: 708
    edited March 2015

Welcome to the website, sorry to hear about your diagnosis. One day at a time is definitely the way to go. Looking too far down the track makes it seem more overwhelming. All the best for your treatment and hop on here and let us know how you are going. There is always someone who can offer advice, take care,

Hazel xx

• Natty
    edited March 2015

Thanks girls it has been great to focus on this blog as a place to go and release energy in the way of words.  Yes I have slowed down and am trying to just take one day at a time.

Natty xxx

• Natty
    edited March 2015

Thanks ladies and I agree with the word whirlwind...certainly feels like it right now!  Am so tired and emotionally right now...off to Oncologist tomorrow to get on the Chemo train!!!  Will keep you poted.

Nat xxx